Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I created a website with over a hundred programs that have been tested by me to work on the Windows port of Basilisk II.

The Macintosh Emulation Station - Software

Wow, the very old redirect still works: http://run.to/mes

If any of the links are dead, please post about it here and I'm sure we can find a valid link.

BTW: I started a thread for software that can run on B2 for NIT: Macintosh Software that can run on a NIT
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Last edited by OSEmuTech; 2008-02-25 at 02:16.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Jose, CA
My bad. I actually saw your site but after all the staring at the screen getting this thing to work I blanked out without looking to see what the site contained.

Question though, how do you transfer apps to the image file? Do you mount it somewhere? I noticed that on MacOSX when B2 runs it mounts it as unix but anything i copy over gets stripped of any kind of APP extension recognition and MacOS 7.5 thinks its just a document folder.

What do you guys do?

Sai

Any 68k Mac application must not be extracted from an archive in Windows. Old Mac software have "resource forks" that are stripped from them when they are contained on a Windows file system (except under special circumstances like when using Services for Macintosh file sharing). The same goes for any non HFS/HFS+ file systems.

Luckily, the NIT port of B2 has the "Unix" external file system icon on the desktop that allows files to be transferred into Basilisk from the NIT file system (like a SD card).

But the file needs to be compressed via *.sit, *.hqx, *.bin, *.cpt or some other archiving type on a Mac HFS/HFS+ file system to safely reside on or be transfered to a FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS file system. The same may go for Linux file systems like Ext2, etc. So your Mac must have a non HFS/HFS+ file system?

Once the archived Mac program has been moved into Basilisk II via the "Unix" icon on the desktop (which allows access to the external file system) it can be safely decompressed with a tool like the free Stuffit Expander (version 5.5 is the last that works on 68k Macs).

ftp://ftp.ucalgary.ca/home/pub/micro...55_install.hqx

On Windows, a tool called HFVExplorer exists that can also transfer an archive file into the Basilisk II hard drive file (besides the "My Computer" icon external file system access which is just like "Unix" in other ports.)

http://www.fenestrated.net/~macman/s...r/Hdexp131.zip

Basilisk II must not be running when HFVExplorer is used. Use HFVExplorer to "open" the hard drive file and then use it's explorer like interface to move files into the hard drive file. HFVExplorer can also automatically decompress some archive files. This is lucky as Stuffit Expander itself must be automatically decompressed in order to use it to decompress files while running Basilisk II.
  1. When you mount (open) a HFS volume with the HFVexplorer program, the disk should show up on the left hand side above your a: drive.
  2. Navigate through the drives and directories on the left hand side with the right hand side displaying the contents of the Windows directory that you are in.
  3. You should be able to drag and drop files from the right hand side onto your HDF disk volume on the left.
  4. When you drop the file, HFVexplorer should ask you to select a copy mode. Use the "automatic, let the program decide" and click o.k.
  5. If you then click on the HDF volume you should see the file copied over. There is no indication that it is being copied over except the light on your hard drive indicator will be busy.

Last edited by OSEmuTech; 2008-02-25 at 04:26.

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
Any 68k Mac application must not be extracted from an archive in Windows. Old Mac software have "resource forks" that are stripped from them when they are contained on a Windows file system (except under special circumstances like when using Services for Macintosh file sharing). The same goes for any non HFS/HFS+ file systems.

Luckily, the NIT port of B2 has the "Unix" external file system icon on the desktop that allows files to be transferred into Basilisk from the NIT file system (like a SD card).

But the file needs to be compressed via *.sit, *.hqx, *.bin, *.cpt or some other archiving type on a Mac HFS/HFS+ file system to safely reside on or be transfered to a FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS file system. The same may go for Linux file systems like Ext2, etc. So your Mac must have a non HFS/HFS+ file system?

Once the archived Mac program has been moved into Basilisk II via the "Unix" icon on the desktop (which allows access to the external file system) it can be safely decompressed with a tool like the free Stuffit Expander (version 5.5 is the last that works on 68k Macs).

ftp://ftp.ucalgary.ca/home/pub/micro...55_install.hqx

On Windows, a tool called HFVExplorer exists that can also transfer an archive file into the Basilisk II hard drive file (besides the "My Computer" icon external file system access which is just like "Unix" in other ports.)

http://www.fenestrated.net/~macman/s...r/Hdexp131.zip

Basilisk II must not be running when HFVExplorer is used. Use HFVExplorer to "open" the hard drive file and then use it's explorer like interface to move files into the hard drive file. HFVExplorer can also automatically decompress some archive files. This is lucky as Stuffit Expander itself must be automatically decompressed in order to use it to decompress files while running Basilisk II.
  1. When you mount (open) a HFS volume with the HFVexplorer program, the disk should show up on the left hand side above your a: drive.
  2. Navigate through the drives and directories on the left hand side with the right hand side displaying the contents of the Windows directory that you are in.
  3. You should be able to drag and drop files from the right hand side onto your HDF disk volume on the left.
  4. When you drop the file, HFVexplorer should ask you to select a copy mode. Use the "automatic, let the program decide" and click o.k.
  5. If you then click on the HDF volume you should see the file copied over. There is no indication that it is being copied over except the light on your hard drive indicator will be busy.
Now i get it. Thanks. I had decompressed it because I had not installed stuffit expander but ironically stuffit was zipped in its own bin/hqx format and thus cannot be unarchived within B2. So instead i mounted the image as a dmg on my mac and transfered the unarchived form of stuffit installer. That interestingly worked like a charm. I have not extensively played with the NIT form of B2 which is why i was asking to see if there is a particular method everybody else was using.

Thanks for clarifying. This is pretty sweet and wordperfect beats going through KDE or abiword, given KDE needs to be initiated first like B2, and abiword still in progress.

Another question. How do you setup fullscreen? I have it set to win/720/420 or whatever but the fullscreen button just maximizes it but doesnt change the resolution. Is there a separate setting?

Sai

Good.

Just set the screen to win/800/480 in .basilisk_ii_prefs then maximize.

We are missing a GUI configuration editor for the NIT port to make changes like this easily before launching Basilisk II.

BTW: The screen size itself can be changed "on-the-fly" inside the Mac OS using the monitors control panel using the latest Basilisk II JIT ports for Linux and I think Windows and Mac OS X too, but we don't have that capability in the NIT port at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:

Yeah. The xkbd package probably needs upgrading for OS 2008 and the N810. Hopefully that can be done. I've been meaning to look at the xkbd format to see what additional keys can be used with it, like function keys and option. I imagine this has already been discussed and looked at by others on this forum.
Entering Ctrl-A via xkbd, makes a running BasiliskII crash hard!

As for xkbd, it does seem to introduce some side effects into my N800 / OS 2008 configuration. For example, tapping on URL links on the MicroB browser, in order to launch them, stop working.

I put my N800 to sleep bu hitting the Power key, then hitting the Center key in the D-Pad... this use of the Center key also stops working.

I removed xkbd, and the 3 libraries that I had installed as dependencies, and voila everything is back to normal. With these problems I am not inclined to keep xkbd installed on my system... it showed erratic behaviour at times also, ie., entering random characters.

For me this is a show stopper for using BasiliskII... I intended to use it as a platform to run a decent word processor but without a working keyboard -- virtual or hardware -- there's not much point to the exercise.

One solution could be to add support for the Hildon input-method in the BasiliskII for NIT source code.

For the N810, or for the N800 with an external BT keyboard the problem becomes to work out a suitable character map to implement use of the "option" and "command" keys expected by MacOS.

-- Denis

Good.

Just set the screen to win/800/480 in .basilisk_ii_prefs then maximize.

We are missing a GUI configuration editor for the NIT port to make changes like this easily before launching Basilisk II.

BTW: The screen size itself can be changed "on-the-fly" inside the Mac OS using the monitors control panel using the latest Basilisk II JIT ports for Linux and I think Windows and Mac OS X too, but we don't have that capability in the NIT port at the moment.
sweet that worked like a charm.

Does anyone have a pref's file for me to checkout and compare with mine? I'm not really familiar with the intricacies of the preferences options even with most of the information on the homepage.

Thanks.
Sai

I extracted the WordPerfect archive. But what do I do with the "Install WordPerfect 3.5e" file? When I try to open it with "File -> Open" it just says: "Document not supported". Can anyone tell me how to install it?

Did anybody ever figure out how to insert function characters using the hardware keyboard on the N810?

Originally Posted by setasai View Post
sweet that worked like a charm.

Does anyone have a pref's file for me to checkout and compare with mine? I'm not really familiar with the intricacies of the preferences options even with most of the information on the homepage.

Thanks.
Sai
Look at msg #25 in this thread,

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...0&postcount=25

it works for me, I think I changed the ram setting...

--Denis

Last edited by delaroca; 2008-02-26 at 13:32.