Active Topics

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Didn't anyone here ever think of the possibility that the reason for Marc leaving might be something more personal than the financial state of Jolla, his trust in the future direction of the company or sinister fights for power at the top?
I think this can be the result that almost all top level figures in the tech industry always step down from personal reasons - at least officially. It's so bad that many equals the often used phrase "Wants to spend more time with the family." directly to "fired/ousted/sidelined". ;-)

Of course once in a while it might actually be true! But people are understandably skeptical.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Didn't anyone here ever think of the possibility that the reason for Marc leaving might be something more personal than the financial state of Jolla, his trust in the future direction of the company or sinister fights for power at the top? He might as well be ill, there could as well be issues with loved ones he needs to take care of, whatever. Not everything he does needs to be related to business.
This is quite possible. Just being worried about the financial situation doesn't really add up because financial worries are everyday life for startup companies. Especially on capital intensive companies. Marc has been very busy with Jolla, with huge amount of traveling days etc. and such thing takes toll no matter how enthusiastic one may be. So, it may be just so simple that he needed to take a break and some distance to things. Now that Sailfish 2.0 is on the verge of being released, Tablet deliveries almost there and first licensing deal with Intex finalized, it's somewhat logical time to depart.

Whatever the reason, I'd still like to hear from Marc at some point.

There have been comments especially over at TJC that were really mean and cynical.
Yep... the community sometimes are really good at showing their bad sides.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sure, Microsoft is now more "mature" and "business focused", whatever that means. Sure, that may be a good thing if you are on BOD or at least a shareholder. But for us regular customers, Microsoft is now MUCH WORSE than it has ever been.
Well, if one looks Microsoft from Windows desktop perspective only....

However, during Gates/Ballmer era Microsoft's official attitude towards open source was outright hatred. Today Microsoft officially supports many open source projects because it's essential for their new focus on cloud/datacenter solutions and interoperatibility. Same thing with support for 3rd party stuff on their management tools etc. Now that Windows 10 is offered as a free upgrade, I consider it to be somewhat better from regular customer point of view - HOWEVER, for privacy centered people it's questionable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Thank you and good luck Marc Dilon!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SKyd3R For This Useful Post:
As charismatic as Marc is, my main concern is Sailfish, as long as that keeps going with no issues am happy.

If they decide to shut up shop for whatever reason and call it a day I hope they open source the code so the community can attempt to keep it going.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
As charismatic as Marc is, my main concern is Sailfish, as long as that keeps going with no issues am happy.

If they decide to shut up shop for whatever reason and call it a day I hope they open source the code so the community can attempt to keep it going.
+ 0.5

My main concern isn't even Sailfish, it's a mobile OS that's based on something close to a desktop GNU/Linux distribution. Something that I can SSH to, that has /etc and /home and that understands my attempts to write shell scripts.

Sailfish does a very good job at this ATM, but even if they fail and there's no community to keep up the work, there's still Ubuntu as a second choice. No reason to panic.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
+ 0.5

My main concern isn't even Sailfish, it's a mobile OS that's based on something close to a desktop GNU/Linux distribution. Something that I can SSH to, that has /etc and /home and that understands my attempts to write shell scripts.

Sailfish does a very good job at this ATM, but even if they fail and there's no community to keep up the work, there's still Ubuntu as a second choice. No reason to panic.
Not a fan of Ubuntu tbh, the multitasking seems to just suck, the OS seems to just suck, and canonical generally just suck.

I'd rather attempt to keep Sailfish going if things went wrong for the company. This forums always wanted its own OS, and for a time I thought that might be the neoN900 port. But that all seems so out of date while Sailfish itself is working somehow and easier to port it seems(kinda).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
Clown was Balmer, not Gates

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Really?

Microsoft under Gates gave us Windows 95 and Windows XP.
Microsoft without Gates gave us Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Sure, Microsoft is now more "mature" and "business focused", whatever that means. Sure, that may be a good thing if you are on BOD or at least a shareholder. But for us regular customers, Microsoft is now MUCH WORSE than it has ever been.

Odd if you compare Jolla with any other company but not at all surprising. It is very much in line with the past Jolla's track record regarding public communication about anything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sponka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Not a fan of Ubuntu tbh, the multitasking seems to just suck, the OS seems to just suck, and canonical generally just suck.

I'd rather attempt to keep Sailfish going if things went wrong for the company. This forums always wanted its own OS, and for a time I thought that might be the neoN900 port. But that all seems so out of date while Sailfish itself is working somehow and easier to port it seems(kinda).
Yes, you're right about Ubuntu. That's why I called the second choice. Still it's one more option. And it's never a bad thing to have choices or a "plan B".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Yes, you're right about Ubuntu. That's why I called the second choice. Still it's one more option. And it's never a bad thing to have choices or a "plan B".
I think at that point maybe its time to take a serious dabble in Nemo Mobile.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post: