Active Topics

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Now the system is a hybrid where you have a tiny status bar (I am really glad I have TOHOLED, since checking the time in the OS is quite painful in v2.0), Harmattan-like carousel that prevents you from easily going back to the app you were using before checking the Events view, weird gestures like "swipe left, then up, click a switch, swipe bottom, swipe right, tap the app cover" and overall inconsistency.
I thought it was pain to check time on V1.0 as it always had to be looked up seaparately, as battery level, network quality and time were mostlly hidden.

As for accessing those shortcuts, the shortest route is swipe left, up, click, swipe right and tap app cover. However, it's also a question of which features should be available the most - I rarely need that shortcut-menu for anything else than toggling the bluetooth as other functions are almost never needed (maybe except Internet sharing, which is also rarely used). However, access to grid is quite often used and it's more easily available in v2.0, so like everything with UI design, it's a trade off. Get one, lose one.

IMO the shortcut-menu should also be available from app cover-screen, so you don't always have to go to events to access it. Another thing to ease things (and reduce the need for shortcut menu altogether) would be to extend the ambience-functionality to include more settings than just background image, colors and sounds. Then you could create your most use cases into ambiences that can be changed almost instantly from just about everywhere. It would add functionality without sacrificing consistency. A win-win IMO.

edit: it has already been suggested in TMO: https://together.jolla.com/question/...-for-ambience/

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2015-10-23 at 15:57.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by caprico View Post
Since change to SFOS 2.0 UI it's almost impossible to watch/listen to longer videos and podcasts. Often they get killed by only unlocking the phone whenever I listen to them.

Has anyone an idea what could be wrong? I mainly use "YTPlayer" or "LLSvPlayer".
YTPlayer seems to crash when it tries to draw the cover once the "cover visibled" signal is received, specially while playing a video in the background (my main use case with YTPlayer ). I've not been able to diagnose it yet but it does not look like an OoM situation (though on the UI it looks like one now! :P)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Admittedly the only accounts I have are the Jolla account and 6 email accounts but I can edit all of them just fine. Tap on the account in Settings and off you go for the basic things. For the rest, pull down the menu to "Server settings". Not the most intuitive thing in the world but does the job.

Can't comment on Cal* as I do not use any but all the rest are valid points.
There's no "Server settings" option in the Cal* accounts. That is the problem. The only thing you can do is 'Update Sign-in credentials'.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
I thought it was pain to check time on V1.0 as it always had to be looked up seaparately, as battery level, network quality and time were mostlly hidden.
Do you not "peek"? I use that feature all the time, and it hasn't changed since v1.X - IMO it's one of the nicest small features of SFOS that really makes it stand out.

Most of the time I'm using the phone I'm scrolling through content (in a browser, or an app like SailHN/Quickddit/Tidings) so my thumb is on the screen anyway.

I don't need the status indicators all the time and prefer to use the whole screen for content I'm reading, "peeking" lets me see that info quickly when I need it and at the same time reinforces the fact that apps run in the background.

Totally different to Android where apps get put in deep freeze as soon as they are off screen (with a few exceptions via a specific API).

Anyway, I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes SFOS and the recent UI changes. 1.1.9 was a great improvement with events view and 2.0 seals the deal for me, I always felt a quick settings drawer was missing and now we have one (quite flexible too!).

Now I'm hoping Jolla can roll out some under the bonnet improvements to XMPP and other bits without people moaning about the "lack of progress" (normally judged on visible UI changes).

BTW, I'm one of the peopld who doesn't use Alien Dalvik, but can we please stop the moaning about Jolla "spending all their time on Android stuff". I don't think it's true (hint: number of words in changelog doesn't necessarily correlate with development time).

CalDAV is working OK for me at the moment but I'll be interested to see what happens this weekend when the clocks go back 1h in the UK. My server is in the same timezone so hopefully I'll be fine!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
This. Improvement is partly new install and reboot and partly psychosematic.
Says the guy who picks up any bug to claim jolla is doomed, failure all over...

Also battery drain is absolutely epic now.
psychosemitic, no decrease here

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Also they're making workflow even slower ... more inconsistent and confused. ... Swipe to notifications, swipe down, very limited toggles, swipe back to home screen, select settings (now hugely diminished in quickness of use). Then a load more taps to
even adjust brightness.
Add brightness shortcut to the screen you left two swipes ago can do it with single press, largely diminishes the diminishing.

It's absolutely awful and keeps getting worse.

Glad I've now moved over to my N5 (CM).
Slowness/awfulness/ease-of-useness is totally psychosemantic, glad you found your phone at last

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Oh FFS. Just tried that too.
https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser
Latest commit cccd449 24 days ago
tad worrying

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Has anyone noticed the new Clock cover? Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Latest commit cccd449 24 days ago
tad worrying
This is the world of Open Source. If you've got time to post entries here worrying about the code, then you've got time to contribute to it!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: