Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Could be that you're waiting for a 32GB?
Yes, I am.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Yes, I am.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1509

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But, Cop, your "new factory" posts are just as repetitive as ZogG's "everything is lost" ones.
Well, yeah. I guess I'm just kinda grumpy lately. (Been waiting too long myself for a Sailfish device to appear here in the States. I guess I should really stop thinking about Sailfish and just go do something else for a while...)

Yet, your theory may stand simply because whatever teething problems they had with the factory during the phone production were less visible and all sorted out by the time they started taking preorders, unlike now.
^^This. Yeah, I think the idea of Indiegogo-based advertising has backfired on them here. The campaign raised a whole lot of publicity for them, but it has also made plain that they were nowhere near as ready to ship the tablet as they thought they were, and yeah, that they are not nearly as adept at managing hardware production as they are at software.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-10-27 at 00:51.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1509
Sucks that they didn't send me that e-mail, but thanks!

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yet, your theory may stand simply because whatever teething problems they had with the factory during the phone production were less visible and all sorted out by the time they started taking preorders, unlike now. Maybe there even were fewer problems because Jolla was new and not quite so hemorrhaged of money 3 years ago with fresh investments as they are now.
I kinda have the feeling that the process for producing the tablet is quite different from the one used for producing the phone. They ship directly from their Honk Kong Based subsidiary, they seem to get a lot more low level, debugging hardware and supply problems, going quote publicly over more iterations, etc.

Maybe before they basically ordered the whole thing from an OEM and were not satisfied with it so they decided to handle bigger part of the manufacturing themselves ? Or the other way around ?

One has to take account that the Jolla Tablet is a crowdfunding campaign where you re expected to provide much bigger insights into product development and production than with a regular commercial product (Jolla Phone). That can definitely also influence the image one gets of the project.

Last edited by MartinK; 2015-10-26 at 21:52.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Basically, we should believe in this schedule because Jolla has finally experienced what it takes to manufacture and deliver tablets using their partner in China.
Sorry I do not believe they will ship as scheduled. I am a realist.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
So every new device will have delay or they have contract for life for single factory?
Delays are always possible. It's not at all rare occurrence even from bigger players. They just don't do it so openly so they don't get that much c*** from it.

Another reason not to cherish openness...

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2015-10-26 at 20:41.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Delays are always possible. It's not at all rare occurrence even from bigger players. They just don't do it so openly so they don't get that much c*** from it.

Another reason not to cherish openness...
That might work for a normal commercial product - in such case you should generally only announce any dates only when you are really sure you can meet them. Or post factum: "Hey, we released X!"

On the other hand - we are talking crowdfunding. For crowdfunding such behavior wont do. Anything other than frequent updates and maximal openness won't do - especially when you hit any unexpected delays. Backers will generally be quite okay even with severe delays as long as you regularly keep them up to date. And you risk making them very angry if you keep them in the dark even for small delays.

As the Jolla Tablet crowdfunding campaign was half crowdfunding and half Sailfish OS/Jolla PR then I think they really really can't afford making their backers angry - so maximal openness and frequent updates are IMHO the only way to go now for the Jolla Tablet.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
As the Jolla Tablet crowdfunding campaign was half crowdfunding and half Sailfish OS/Jolla PR then I think they really really can't afford making their backers angry
Hmm. I don't really think Jolla has ever intended to base their company off the revenue from the Jolla Tablet (assuming there is any). So I figure it's closer to 100% Sailfish / Jolla PR. (Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.)

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
...they are not nearly as adept at managing hardware production as they are at software.
By your own admission, you have not seen.a Sailfish product yet.
How do you know the software is any good?

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund