Poll: Which OS version and hardware platform do/would you use for video conversion?
Poll Options
Which OS version and hardware platform do/would you use for video conversion?

A Linux/Gnome version would have been my first option :-(

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by mariuss View Post
A Linux/Gnome version would have been my first option :-(
Please see this discussion in another thread as I don't want to rehash it here. Short summary is that Linux users have a wealth of options when it comes to video converters already. In addition, typical Linux users aren't generally the ones that want/need a one-click conversion solution. Plus there's the issue of commercial codec availability for the Linux platform.

Damn it, I guess I just rehashed the whole thing anyway

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

One last update (and a thread bump) -- with over 100 votes, Intel+Leopard has 50%+ of the lead. Only 24 hours left to vote. So if you have an opinion, make sure it gets heard.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The people have spoken and we have listened Our first OS X release will be focused on Intel/Leopard for testing purposes. Of course we'll do our best to get support for the PPC/Tiger combinations as well, they'll just be a little further down the line.

Thanks to everyone who voted, your help is appreciated.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
why rebuild what is already there. Use handbrake and just create a few profiles that can be added to the system. One of the side benefits is that handbrake's engine also runs under linux so the same profiles should work on the command line linux version as well.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
why rebuild what is already there. Use handbrake and just create a few profiles that can be added to the system. One of the side benefits is that handbrake's engine also runs under linux so the same profiles should work on the command line linux version as well.
The point is to make an all-in-one encoding solution. Drop the videos in, it spits them out and sends transfers them to the tablet without overly troubling the user.

Besides, you don't seem to be entirely understanding Handbrake's purpose. Handbrake only converts from VOB. This'll re-encode just about anything.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Handbrake will convert from formats besides VOB, it's not a huge support list but they are adding new formats with each revision. Handbrake has some of the fastest/best deinterlacing code that I have seen, what they do have working is fast and reliable.

Transfers to the Nokia could be easily handled with a folder/automator action.

The reason we started this project is to target users who don't know about/can't be bothered to figure out programs like Handbrake. For most ITT users, who are power users, I am sure that there are plenty of good solutions for video encoding. But for mere mortals, we'd like to offer something a little more stripped down and simple to use.

Plus there's the little matter of the fact that as corporate entity, we can't exactly go around promoting software like Handbrake/mencoder/etc due to legal codec issues and such. Thus we have a nice piece of software (with a nice developer API btw for developers who want to extend it) that uses legal codecs.