Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Not really. A jet engine is a "reaction engine". It propels the aircraft forward by expelling mass, which must result in a forward force on the aircraft, via Newton's third law. It would work just as well in space, if it carried an oxidizer along with the fuel (which would make it a rocket engine).
But the jet would not take off without air streaming past its wings.
It would accelerate, move forward and fall off the treadmill.
Unless it's really in space and no gravitation around, which would make "falling" rather impossible...

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
It's been over two weeks since the announcement and we've not heard much in the way of news. In the meantime, between Twitter and Linkedin, I've seen about 20 people who've left Jolla for good with many already in new roles. I imagine if we don't hear anything by the start of January, lots of other Jolla employees will have no choice but to find other paid work.

It's looking for bad for those waiting for tablets.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
It's been over two weeks since the announcement and we've not heard much in the way of news. In the meantime, between Twitter and Linkedin, I've seen about 20 people who've left Jolla for good with many already in new roles. I imagine if we don't hear anything by the start of January, lots of other Jolla employees will have no choice but to find other paid work.

It's looking for bad for those waiting for tablets.
What's up with all the negativity in this thread. Looks great.

Jolla says they are ready to ship second batch but can't say when:
http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/business...d-tablets.html
Another lie?

" It will also have to settle its disagreement with the technology supplier."

What disagreement would that be?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-12-08 at 18:34.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
But the jet would not take off without air streaming past its wings.
Indeed. Air is also what the engines are accelerating against, not the ground. The fact that the ground is moving does not change that. All it would change is how fast the wheels are spinning, but not the forward motion. More on the topic here.

Now for the next question. You are stranded in the middle of the sea in a small boat with a sail. The wind has completely died out. Can you propel yourself forward by blowing at the sail?

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Now for the next question. You are stranded in the middle of the sea in a small boat with a sail. The wind has completely died out. Can you propel yourself forward by blowing at the sail?
Consider air=balls.

If you throw a ball at the sail, it bounces off the sail and into the water behind you. Because the process is inelastic, the ball now leaves the boat with (v)′ball<(v)ball. Therefore your momentum is now (m)boat(v)boat=−(m)ball (v)′ball.

So. You would move fast blowing in the propella.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wait... just hit me. Myth Busters actually answered the plane on a conveyor belt conundrum a while back. Even the pilot thought his plane would be stationary... it wasn't.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait... just hit me. Myth Busters actually answered the plane on a conveyor belt conundrum a while back. Even the pilot thought his plane would be stationary... it wasn't.
Yeah. They also did the blow your own sail

https://youtu.be/uKXMTzMQWjo

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
What am I missing? The reason the plane lifted into the air is that the air speed is faster on the top of the wing then on its bottom. When the air speed is faster the pressure is lower so there is a net force upwards on tbe plane.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Yeah. They also did the blow your own sail

https://youtu.be/uKXMTzMQWjo
Hadn't seen that one... so Tom & Jerry cartoons were physics correct after all!

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Seems 2015 is not a good year for alternative OSes...

http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/08/moz...s-smartphones/

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund