Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
"Do something for the climate today! Anything! "

I did!....
I gave it a cookie today ...
but it didn't accept it....
prolly cause it was a peanut butter cookie...
still....
it was homemade...

Did I or did I not just say...(roughly anyway)
"may as well grab the popcorn,
sit back and watch,
because I don't think the show is over yet..." ?

Wow ....
This subforum here is like Dynasty (anyone remember the drama show?) meets Keeping up With the Kardashians meets Bear Grills (bear is good...tough but good...gotta cook it a long time to soften it up...stew is best...) meets Jerry Springer meets Celebrity Intervention meets a 3-ring circus (complete ensemble with the burning embarrassment of groin itch....Get GoldBond! ) meets the U.S. finals of Dwarf Tossing AND International DodgeBall Championships combined (on the Ocho of course)

This is turning into a very entertaining thread topic..
with the perpetual twists and turns and new odd revelations...
Too early in the morning for eating popcorn here yet...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-12-16 at 14:02.

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
These could very well just be clones/fakes. A lot of the photos look to be merely stolen from online.
If you are a manufacture, and you had produced a number of items, boxed and ready to go, and then you discovered the company that had placed the order could not pay, surely you would want to get as much money back as possible. Some one has probably decided (quite wisely) that they wont sell with some strange, unsupported OS, thats no one has heard of (we dont count) but might if sold as an Android tablet. If you just want to get rid of that stock you are just going to look on line and use photographs from the company that has gone bust and cant pay - what are they going to do sue you?

They probably have some agreement (morally if not legally) that the tablet, including all the packaging etc. are theirs, if the customer defaults and can not pay. Why spend extra money on new boxes?

Its not like Jolla is going to sue!

I dont think Jolla cares about the Hardware, its only interest is the software. No tablets for Christmas, but I bet there will be an OS 2.xx update.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
The first bunch on images on Taobao are stolen from Engadget or the Kickstarter page. However the last few showing the box and tablet opened don't seem to correspond to anything else online. So it does indeed look like someone has acquired Jolla tablets and is selling them on.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Anyone here speak Chinese? Maybe we can ask the seller to switch a tablet on so we can see the OS that's booting?

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
The first bunch on images on Taobao are stolen from Engadget or the Kickstarter page. However the last few showing the box and tablet opened don't seem to correspond to anything else online. So it does indeed look like someone has acquired Jolla tablets and is selling them on.
I agree, can't remember seeing the one with the box and the inside crap (might email to ask if it includes a charger )

Maybe it's running Android or they are just saying that because it runs android apps.

Either way it's a bargain, $30 cheaper than what I paid and probably no tax

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Only 32gb versions?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by zenecho View Post

I guess I cant miss what I did not have.
Most certainly you can:

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

-- John Greenleaf Whittier

But I will still -- possibly naively -- hope that my grief is premature.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

Jolla vs snow 0-1

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Only 32gb versions?
That would make sense, actually -- only 64gb versions were sent out in the first wave, and folks at Jolla had mentioned that they were ordering parts for the 32gb versions. I would presume that Jolla had a batch of 32gb tablets at the top of their list of orders to the factory...

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Maybe it's running Android or they are just saying that because it runs android apps.
I would guess that too. Seems like a lot of effort to open all the boxes and reflash when they can just sell them as being able to run Android apps already.

Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Either way it's a bargain, $30 cheaper than what I paid and probably no tax
Your local customs and excise must be more lenient than the UK. They'd almost certainly add import duty and then vat on top here.

On the plus side, *if* Jolla get back on their feet, there's 1079 more tablets out there.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund