Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I would like to email the CEO of Jolla with a business proposal . Does anyone here have his email address?
Not sure if Antti Saarnio is announced as CEO but the best known address,
just use prename.surname@jolla.com

But I guess the best answer you may get is:
Thanks for your valuable input. We will read it and get back to you,
SOON.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I don't see many problems on the tablet now. The minimum display brightness could be dimmer, and it sometimes sucks its battery on standby, though that may be arch rather than the tablet hw specifically. For sure it's going to get really interesting if they manage to expand the range of hw they run on. They've always supported x86 though, and I can't see that stopping. Atom on mobile is on the rise.
Glad to hear as still hoping to get one, still, tablet hw will have its own bugs (audio, video, input...) and hw specifc workarounds, if they drop support for this configuration (only 200 out there aftet all) and arch it is back to community to support that. HW adaptation done on day one is like expecting no bug fixes from the creator once the mass finds them

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Well, I must say I'm not too impressed with the way Jolla handled the money and the third party accessories. Through Indiegogo I paid money to Jolla Asia Ltd, not to Jolla Oy. First for the tablet only, then for the shipping, and then for a LastuCase.

For some reason the money seems to have been mingled with general funds of Jolla Oy, no reservations have been made (or so it seems) to pay manufacturers, shippers, and Lastu. Through Twitter Lastu said they delivered a whole stack of cases to Jolla, and didn't get paid.

Now on one hand I understand: employees had to be paid, and the next round of finance was near. But on the other hand I don't understand... I have run several businesses over the years, and one of my business partners suddenly went bankrupt in 2012. They nearly dragged us down as well. This is all a different story of course, but there's an ethical part to doing business with partners.

Their values Transparency, Love, Passion, Respect should have urged Jolla to give openness much, much sooner.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I'm not looking to sue anyone. I'm looking for a proper business model from jolla, that could help them for the next product, not drag any future product to the bottom before its even announced.

Ok, I play along. Let's say jolla skip tablet and move on with the money like if its was a gift. Do you think that "some of us" are likely to buy/help/fund/support jolla under current situation?
Some surely will, no doubt about it.
I know that if presented with a good story I will buy it, no problem.

As I see it, the tablet campaign went through correctly, and I donated to it fair and square, and as is the case with such donations, promptly wrote it off my budget when done. Such is the nature of donations, whether given for fun, for charities or for churchs.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Some surely will, no doubt about it.
I know that if presented with a good story I will buy it, no problem.

As I see it, the tablet campaign went through correctly, and I donated to it fair and square, and as is the case with such donations, promptly wrote it off my budget when done. Such is the nature of donations, whether given for fun, for charities or for churchs.
As much as I appreciate above, I disagree.
We have no info where the money went and what were the reasons and and and we will never ever get that.
So in my eyes if Jolla as a company wants to continue/succeed they need to deliver/refund.

I personally wrote off the money as I do not expect them to act like I think they should act! End of input.

--edit
Do you really think it is a good reputation for a company?
Is it fair to have not payed Lastu?
To consume the 'donated' money for Lastu cases as well as for shipping (and also 64GB upgrade)? (not sure if that would really count as donations!)
and so on ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2016-01-02 at 12:49.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ grenoble
quite funny how some people have been criticized after asking refund. with the excuse "IT'S A DONATION !!111!!111 JOLLA DON'T OWE YOU SH*", after 1 year without product delivery, even after received more than what have been asked, well, after a refund, we can call it A 0% PERCENT LOAN.
YES, a LOAN. so after all, they donated something, as banks don't borrow money for free

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am not critizising anyone, just explaining my point-of-view. Yours might be different, and I hope it makes you happy

Sure there might be people to whom few hundred quid is such a large sum it makes a visible dent in their budget... to whom I might offer an advice on not to engage into donation campaigns, then...
It is like any high-risk venture, do not put in what you do not afford to lose with a smile...

It is another thing alltogether that the Jolla Tablet was also for sale on their website; whoever ordered it from there should get refund unless the devices are delivered as that was a sale and not a donation.

And regarding what we get from it; we have already gotten more than a years worth of speculation and humour, I count that a gain, being part of an expecting crowd

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/7/005/08b/389/3519678.jpg
Very good advice, but I tend to be the one who forgets it all the time
To put that into perspective, these device monies are peanuts. Over the last 2 years I have lost considerable pile of money due to bad stock market investments...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Very good advice, but I tend to be the one who forgets it all the time
To put that into perspective, these device monies are peanuts. Over the last 2 years I have lost considerable pile of money due to bad stock market investments...
Yeah, same here...But lucky I've earned more. But personally its more of a trust issue with jolla. Don't trust Finnish people anymore

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund