Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
'feel free to speculate ' means: fight amongst yourselves for a couple of months, cos we really don't have a clue what to do next!
The arrogance is unreal. After over a year of telling people they would get their tablets, they turn around and finally admit that this won't be the case. Then they have the audacity to dangle a carrot in front of people's noses promising something at some unknown period of time. It's almost like they're expecting people to be grateful!

At this stage they should be shipping whatever tablets they can get their hands on. They should also start offering to refund people NOW. If people want to wait for the carrot, that is fine, but immediate priority should be full refunds.

Last edited by NokiaFanatic; 2016-01-04 at 12:06.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Why are people even bringing Fairphone into this? They're already shipping the Fairphone 2 - they are not going to retroactively port Sailfish onto a product that has been finalized. Perhaps things will change if the Fairphone 3 gets released next year. Anyway - I am not sure why anyone would want to pay €530 for old hardware, despite Fairphone's laudable goal.
I was ready to buy one exactly because of the laudable goal. And HW is more than decent if you don't fall for marketing numbers and fake benchmarks. This is the first product in the last few years that actually has some value that I was willing to pay more than regular commercial crap with 6 months expiry tag. Possibility of sailfish on it was just a bonus.

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I can see two sort of people here:

- the ones who wish Jolla to disappear. They will find all sort of reasons for that. That is very easy to find them. That is the same when you get divorced, you always find good reasons for it . Those people probably have a secret wish in that the end of Jolla is slow to let them write still much about it. They can say that at Jolla they are liars, that they are bad in PR, that management is bad, that they do not deserve to stay alive after so many disappointments ...
(the only thing i never read is that sailors are not committed which is at least something)
The only thing which surprises me is the energy and the time they spend. I personally do not have time for arguing that much especially for something which at the end does not interest me anymore.

- the ones who hopes for a mix of community, foss, european, privacy, fancy, multitasking, independent, ... to deliver an alternative to the two elephants in the room. They consider Jolla as their best hope for that (and probably have some interests in other players like ubuntu touch).

This is like politics. You will never find a party that fits all your needs, all your wishes, all your opinions.
Jolla is not perfect. If you feel like it, you spend money for them. If there is not enough people interested in them, they gonna disappear.
This is part of human being to always find ways to criticize. That is so much easier than building something (I am not sure that there are many start-up leader around tmo).

Critics is constructive as long as it is not : "they are all liars" "they stole our money" "support is nowhere" or tell obvious thing as being negative "they are behind others in functionalities for developers and customers" "they lack a proper budget to develop their OS" or when you comment the past over and over "the delivery of first phones was a fiasco" "the special thing for early adopters was a joke with a ringtone and a t-shirt"

Everybody (should) knows the weaknesses of Jolla. But everybody knows the commitments of the people behind the scene.

If I lose the money of the tablet, be it. I am investing in an alternative OS that I hope will go on.
If they disappear, I can already hear so many "I told you so, that was not serious because of blah and blah and blah". If they do not disappear, I can already hear so many "you see, I knew that was so promising and you know what, I was an early adopter"

Conclusion: that was my contribution to that useless discussion, I thank me for that

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Why are people even bringing Fairphone into this? They're already shipping the Fairphone 2 - they are not going to retroactively port Sailfish onto a product that has been finalized.
But why not? The whole point of this libhybris-based OS is to take hardware that was designed for Android, and fit Sailfish onto it. That's what the Jolla Phone is, and what the Jolla Tablet is. (That's why the Chinese factory is now selling thousands of Jolla Tablets all by itself; it simply wiped Sailfish off and put Android back onto those machines.)

Now that they lost a bunch of their sailors, maybe the surprise will be a job offer at Jolla...

Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It's almost like they're expecting people to be grateful!
The biggest tragedy is that some people actually are grateful!

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
But why not? The whole point of this libhybris-based OS is to take hardware that was designed for Android, and fit Sailfish onto it. That's what the Jolla Phone is, and what the Jolla Tablet is. (That's why the Chinese factory is now selling thousands of Jolla Tablets all by itself; it simply wiped Sailfish off and put Android back onto those machines.)
Yes of course, but that is only as an unofficial, community support initiative, much like the Nexus 5 port. Not interesting to me, or most people, I would suspect.

Yes of course, but that is only as an unofficial, community support initiative, much like the Nexus 5 port. Not interesting to me, or most people, I would suspect.
I think gerbick's speculation was that tablet backers would be allowed to register an official copy of Sailfish on those devices. Not sure if Jolla would really be able to put a lot of effort into those ports, but it would presumably allow things like Alien Dalvik on those machines.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I think gerbick's speculation was that tablet backers would be allowed to register an official copy of Sailfish on those devices. Not sure if Jolla would really be able to put a lot of effort into those ports, but it would presumably allow things like Alien Dalvik on those machines.
That won't be happening. Fairphone aren't just going to revise a product that is already been designed manufactured and is already shipping.

From reading the Fairphone forums, all the contributors there are suggesting that Sailfish on Fairphone 2 will exist as an unofficial, community port.

I suspect that the Jolla carrot will be to swap the tablet with an Intex phone. That is all I can see them offering.

That won't be happening. Fairphone aren't just going to revise a product that is already been designed manufactured and is already shipping.
No, gerbick's suggestion was not that Jolla would give a license to the hardware manufacturer. He was suggesting that Jolla would give the license directly to the user. You yourself flash Sailfish onto the device of your choice (Fairphone or whatever), you register with Jolla, and voila, instant fully-licensed Sailfish device...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund