Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Somehow the first column (package name) in Application Manager on my Nokia N800 (OS2008) is "shrunk" so that only the first couple letters of each package name is shown. I've tried for two days to resize this column. This affects Installed Applications, Installable Applications and Updates. It's pretty annoying.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Milan - Italy
same here

Same issue. I have gotten it to change while trying to resize the column, but it just jumps to half as wide as it was...

I noticed it's when the version number of the product is long. Noticed the version number was the problem when i enabled red pill mode and some files showed with extremely long version numbers

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
It's a problem for me too. Never was a problem when I booted off the flash, but after cloning OS2008 to mmc, I've had those narrow columns, too. Hmm, at the same time as going to the mmc boot, I also flashed to the recent OS (Version 2.2007.51-3 ; nonetheless, I do NOT have that narrowed column when I boot from flash, only from mmc).

I have no idea how to resize them.

The only help I can offer: At least you can click on the Info icon when an item is selected and get its whole name without jumping back to the top of the list when you close.

Anybody know how to fix this problem of narrow name column in App Mgr?

I just flashed, not an upgrade but a full reflash and no restore from any backup, to the newest version (2.2007.51-3) of OS08 and this issue appeared but I cannot say it was related. It could be another update. But before reflashing I would get a full name for almost every item in the App Manager. It sure does seem something was updated within this new OS build must have an issue.

You guys are lucky. My "Browse Installable Applications" suddenly went to a long list of maemo icons with no names on ANYTHING, even after repeated updates!

Is there any way to get it to show the names of installable apps in its catalog any more? There's no errors in the log file, but it never recovers....???

The Following User Says Thank You to w4csc For This Useful Post:
I reported this, and received an email from Marius Vollmer at Nokia, who said:

Yes, this has been fixed in trunk: now there is only one column that has
the name left-justified and the version right-justified in it. Thus,
long versions do not take space away from all packages.

To fix it in your case, you should probably disable the "Show all
packages" option in red-pill mode. Then xserver-xomap will not be
listed at all in the Application Manager.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genome4hire For This Useful Post:
Thanks! I didn't need red pill. I unchecked Show All Packages and it all recovered! Even the column width went wider to show the names properly!

Must be a bug in Application Manager OS2007's latest version that needs to be fixed.

Much appreciated help, too. I owe you...(c;

The Following User Says Thank You to w4csc For This Useful Post:
I had this problem as well and just downloaded/installed the [four] packages with ridiculously long version strings and it went back to normal, 'cause nothing was forcing the columns to be weird sizes anymore.