RTCOMM has a completely atrocious UI with huge icons for each person, so that only a few people are shown at the screen. So, Pidgin it is, at least until Nokia sorts out the UI.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by fms View Post
RTCOMM has a completely atrocious UI with huge icons for each person, so that only a few people are shown at the screen. So, Pidgin it is, at least until Nokia sorts out the UI.
This is a bug exclusive to the Speed Contacts applet (introduced with the first avatar support), and it hardly damn the entirety of rtcomm's UI. Besides, does Pidgin even have a desktop applet? Last time I used it it was a separate window for the contacts list, and contacts list + OK desktop applet is always better than just a contacts list. . . .

Sweet jeebus, this thread sounds like the old word processor wars. Word, Word Perfect, or whatever, and the adherents of each were fanatic and religious (oh, that's redundant, isn't it?). There is a reason there is more than one app. Personally, I like GAIM, but I don't give a rat's @ss what anyone else uses. A life would be a beneficial acquisition.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This is a bug exclusive to the Speed Contacts applet (introduced with the first avatar support), and it hardly damn the entirety of rtcomm's UI.
No, no, I mean the RTCOMM's own UI. It does not make a good use of the screen estate by using huge icons and fonts, and does not memorize the group of people you have been viewing the last time, always starting with "All". With this kind of UI, you will always want to watch the "Online" group, but it does not get memorized

Anyway, I think RTCOMM authors better look at QIP (S60, WinMobile) or a similar IM program to see how things can be laid out on a small screen.

Besides, does Pidgin even have a desktop applet? Last time I used it it was a separate window for the contacts list, and contacts list + OK desktop applet is always better than just a contacts list. . . .
It does not, but so does RTCOMM, effectively: it does not let me add more than 2 (TWO!) contacts to damn desktop applet.

RTCOMM drained my battery like crazy.. mabe it's better now ( i installed it when it first was available). Pidgin actually integrates very well in my opinion: You only have a tray icon (just like rtcomm) and there is even a plug in that allows to use the led to indicate new messages...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
No, no, I mean the RTCOMM's own UI. It does not make a good use of the screen estate by using huge icons and fonts
Uh, not here. . . .

i can't find rtcomm. is there another name fot it?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Uh, not here. . . .
Would you care to post a screenshot then? Maybe I have overlooked some setting?

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Would you care to post a screenshot then? Maybe I have overlooked some setting?
Have you tried View -> List instead of View -> Pictures in the Contacts app?

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
i can't find rtcomm. is there another name fot it?
Google "rtcomm maemo" for more info.

It is the IM/VOIP app built into OS2008 (comes with the n810 and is a free upgrade for the n800) ... there is nothing new to install unless you want to play with newer test versions.

It *was* available for OS2007 as a beta version but now that they have put out a new beta version for OS2008, they don't seem to provide a link to the old version.

In any case, if you haven't already, OS2008 is worth the upgrade and it will be there automagically when you are done. Just remember the backup your settings first.