Active Topics

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
If the medical references are in CHM or PRC format (google for fbreader please) or any formats that are supported by fbreader, then you should not have a problem any more -- no conversion needed

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by kieraloo View Post
I really do like the n800, that is for sure. It has everything I could possibly want in terms of instant gratification.....except for the drugb book/reference thing. I am not sure how to do the html for FBreader thing, any tips? I looked at Palm, I am just not a fan of Pc, I always prefer my mac over everything else....a little jaded. Thanks for your help.
I personally take html/online textbooks and reference books and convert them to Plucker format which is good for FBReader. The easiest way to do the conversion is by using Sunrise - there is SunriseXP for windows and I use Sunrise 0.42j on my Linux/KDE box (don't use Mac so not positive which desktop you would need). There is a great Plucker document creation tutorial here You would just ignore the Palm specific stuff of course.

If you're interested, I've got decent General Biology, BioChemistry and Molecular Biology textbooks already made. PM me your email and I'll send a copy.

Also, just for the record - you don't need a PC to use a Palm pda. I use Linux and there are workarounds available for pretty much everything. Palm already has everything you need for use on a Mac.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
If the medical references are in CHM or PRC format (google for fbreader please) or any formats that are supported by fbreader, then you should not have a problem any more -- no conversion needed
99.9% of Palm (prc) Medical References are DRM'd and/or have their own proprietary viewers - so I believe that using FBReader to view them is next to impossible.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
PM me if you're looking for places for getting medical reference books.

Originally Posted by db2 View Post
If you're on a Mac, then just Print, hit the Preview button, and save your PDF.
Or skip the preview step and just hit the "PDF" button in the lower left corner of the print dialog box then select "Save as PDF..."

If you're willing to install KDE than you'll have Koffice available which does an adequate job of opening and editing Microsoft Office Documents

You can read MS Word documents with a program called "doc reader." It is now available and working for OS2008. To get it going you also need a program called "antiword."

Sorry but I don't have the direct links at hand.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Originally Posted by kieraloo View Post
I really do like the n800, that is for sure. It has everything I could possibly want in terms of instant gratification.....except for the drugb book/reference thing. I am not sure how to do the html for FBreader thing, any tips? I looked at Palm, I am just not a fan of Pc, I always prefer my mac over everything else....a little jaded. Thanks for your help.
I use Google Docs to see my Word Documents... some formatting sometimes gets lost, but it works ok...

The downside: you need an internet connection.

But you can always save your word docs in your Mac as RTFs or as TXT and open them then in the native Notes reader of the N800

Open Office has a one-click icon for saving Word files as .pdf. Open Office is free, and has versions for Linux and Windows. The easiest way to do what you want is to save the documents as .pdf files, and transfer them to you tablet for reading.

ummm...word can save files directly to HTML. I have no idea what version of Word you have on your Mac but it should do the job. from there you can convert to pretty much any format using a wide variety of utilities. Even MobiPocket Creator, Plucker or any variety of document conversion apps specifically for word.

Personally would/will never find PDF's on this tiny display of any use at all. I am just not comfy with lateral scrolling. I find it interferes with digesting the content. Short of switching to a Tablet PC or a 12" laptop reading PDF's on the NIT's might be the most frustrating doc format around. Especially if the creator did not setup the doc re-flow correctly. Meaning the PDF is poorly created and does not include the ability to reformat for the given display allowing it to be read with anything smaller then the Hubble.

A couple problems you might find in using FBReader for research manuals is the lack of bookmarks and the lack of ability to add annotations. I love Fbreader but it still has a long way to go as a useful tool for research. But a pocket sized notebook works as a companion to the tablet seeing you already have it...

If you need info on converting books to fit better on the tablet there is a site dedicated to ebook devices and many folks there use N8x0's & N770's as their reading device. You can visit http://www.mobileread.com/forums to see what info you can find there.