Active Topics

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I did that, but how did that help when a 100ish poeple, multimillion compony like jolla couldn't deliver? How would a prototype help preventing a scam?
I don't have the crayons to explain this really well, but:
  • A platform doing no checks whatsoever to filter out unrealistic targets will always have more failed projects than another. This will not negate all threads of scams or unintentional failures, but it will help lower the risk for the former a bit.
  • Even on a platform with checks, a well meant project can fail or people can be jerks and scam other people. It's just a lower probability.

And to bring this back to the discussion regarding the tablet revival before trolling, I'll explain some more:
  • The money for this project does have to come somewhere (fast), the only reasonable source is crowdfunding.
  • There are only two real alternatives for this, IG and KS
  • KS is considered less shady by a lot of people, so I advised to go with that – mostly to get more backers who stay away from IG.

To sum this up: You (intentionally? sometimes it's hard to tell with you) missed the point of the discussion. It is neither about jolla or the "first gen tablet" directly at all, it's just about gathering ideas to help this project most of us want to see succeeding.

--
it's kind of hard to write reasonable answers if you keep editing new stuff into your posts. No, most likely it wouldn't have been shut down, see above.
But the point you added with reach/member numbers is not a bad one – I think KS "wins" at this again because they are the "original" and, well, all the things we wrote earlier. At least a few years ago, KS had more than five times the estimated visitors.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So why not use both then for maximum effect? Still not sure how many will actually bite on this jPad in disguise. How much do you estimate he will get? 10,100,1000,10000 tablets? I bet 234 tablets without jollas second refund and 598 with fuller refund from jolla.

So if we don't have a working prototype first of may the KS can't start? Mr C have to work weekends

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-04-26 at 19:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
If the HW is exactly the same (including the display panel) won't this mean that there needs not be any special SFOS build for this tablet but it instead can use the official build of the original Jolla Tablet?
(what I mean; the store does not differentiate between Jolla Tablet and Youyota Tab, they both look exatly same to the Jolla servers?)
In theory yes.

Will be slightly changed as we won't use Jolla Logo... But most will be the same.

What I meant is the i486 build is still quite buggy compared with ARM build. Hopefully Jolla can put some effort optimising it and fix the bug such as screenshot in SFOS2.1...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
One obvious difference between KS and IGG is payment methods.
IGG only accepts credit card and KS has the "advantage" of offering paypal.
One my think of paypal as evil but for the customer it is convenient and opens the campaign towards non credit card users.
Business wise i'd go for KS.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
One obvious difference between KS and IGG is payment methods.
IGG only accepts credit card and KS has the "advantage" of offering paypal.
One my think of paypal as evil but for the customer it is convenient and opens the campaign towards non credit card users.
Business wise i'd go for KS.
what? i paid for jolla tablet on igg with paypal, and most of bakers did same

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
what? i paid for jolla tablet on igg with paypal, and most of bakers did same
Wuut, i missed that? pitty.
Sorry for misleading.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
"Please note: As of February 14, 2017, only campaigns raising funds in AUD will be able to enable PayPal on their campaigns. If you are raising funds in CAD or GBP, and haven't yet enabled a verified PayPal account, you'll be able to enable direct credit card payments only. As of February 2017, campaigns raising funds in USD and EUR will be able to raise funds exclusively through credit card."

Source: https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-...e-contributing

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
So if we don't have a working prototype first of may the KS can't start? Mr C have to work weekends
This case is different than crowdfunding something totally new; A prototype already exists. (and not only that, here are hundreds of final devices out there in the world)

Even I had one of those before donating it away as Coding Competition prize

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
This case is different than crowdfunding something totally new; A prototype already exists. (and not only that, here are hundreds of final devices out there in the world)

Even I had one of those before donating it away as Coding Competition prize
Exactly, what I mean. It's a fake security. anyone can start a campaign at KS.

Jolla also had something to build on. Aigo? Still they couldn't deliver since they wasted time, money on bad stuff rather the deliver.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-04-27 at 06:22.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
For someone who declared to be out (at least twice!), Dave999 sure is rather active.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os