Active Topics

psp is ok for web browsing, i DOUBT itll beat the nokia in terms of net, but in video we'll have to wait and see what kind of conversion tools come up when the device ships

Originally Posted by philmcneal
psp is ok for web browsing, i DOUBT itll beat the nokia in terms of net, but in video we'll have to wait and see what kind of conversion tools come up when the device ships
No need to wait for the device to ship, people have been ripping DVDs for watching on PocketPCs and Palms for some time now. I use one from www.pocketdvd.ca called DVD Catalyst and it's excellent.

There are three or four others you can chose from or go completely hair-shirt and use command-line tools.

^ oh snap, well i guess your right. you could just use any converter like vituraldub and just set the approiate codec and resolution so that the nokia is capabile of running at 30 fps. So far the results for video are choppy but i'm hoping that will change as the device gets more support.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Check out the wiki page for video encoding:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/VideoEncoding

damnnnnn well 25 fps isn't bad, it ain't no psp but at least the rest of the device makes up for it .... or NOT

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by andymulhearn
PSP doesn't have a touch screen, which means it sort of blows as an Internet device.

But then I'm probably not the first person to make that comparison.
My son has a PSP and we messed with it quite a bit in terms of exploring it's capabilities. I was looking for a replacement for my Palm Tungsten C and the PSP was looking promising. The problems (and major distinction from a PDA or 770) with it are threefold:

1) No Bluetooth. This severely limits you in terms of peripherals.
2) No touchscreen (see other posts for why this is debilitating).
3) Closely controlled and sealed software architecture. Sony methodically closes off the hacker entry ports as the hackers find them.

Many PSP owners lament #3 incessantly, just like some 770 owners do about how UMPC's and PDA's are superior to it. One has to consider function: the PSP was designed (and marketed, mind you) as a game and multimedia device. Just because it shows elements of being "like a PDA" does not mean it is one and does not mean that Sony has any obligation whatsoever to provide you with the options to make it one. Likewise the UMPC, which is a PC.

Not to belabor this, but the 770 is sort of "none of the above". It is an Internet Tablet and an excellent one at that. it is also a next generation phone. As such, it's phone roots mean that it has PDA features (contacts, calendar, memos, etc.). Since it is a next generation phone, it also has PC features (simply by necessity).

Many errors, of a truth, consist merely in the application of the wrong names of things--Spinoza

I'm not sure why anybody would think any PDA compares to the 770 as an internet device. I have yet to see any PDA for ANY price that matches the 770's screen and browser display. Everytime I use one to surf, I can't wait to get back to the 770.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This thread's always confused me... what's next, comparing the 770 to an inanimate carbon rod?

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
This thread's always confused me... what's next, comparing the 770 to an inanimate carbon rod?

I find that the carbon rod's features with respect to eye-poking and knee-bashing are far superior to that of the 770. Shame on Nokia for making it all smooth and providing no sharp corners with which to maim!

Who the hell compares a PSP to a handheld computer?