Active Topics

Clay,
Lets be positive about this. It may be the excuse we need to install Linux and use the Linux version 2 flasher to put things right. I can't think of any other way around it at the moment. I tried using Mac OSX flasher but no luck. I can't think of any other way around it at the moment. But I'm having fun and learning a lot and that is what the 770 is all about.
Bom

Clay -

No need to accuse us of being unsympathetic, we all understand the pain of having a bricked device - but we are not a "bricked 770" support group - what are we supposed to say, "Feel better mate, look on the bright side, at least you didn't buy a PSP?"

What is the appropriate response for us to give you. What would you like us to say? We're just trying to find answers and share experiences. And *we* are not the type to feel angry and start blaming other people when we have a problem. *We* includes you, yes?

Stop with the "Nokia did us wrong" attitude.

You already sound like you've already given up, picked up the old AK47, and are ready to give it a good sweep around the room. So let's take the chip off the shoulder and work together before you start turning into a forum troll. The 2006 OS update has been out for less than 24 hours so please, calm down.

Have you tried an Ubuntu installation and the linux flasher-2.0 through VMWare? Seems like it works.

Last edited by sonoronos; 2006-06-10 at 15:22.

The Linux flasher works for re-flashing back to the old OS. It states on the download page that only the Linux flasher is supported. I guess many missed that part. Can anyone elaborate on how to enable the terminal? Aflegg stated that the terminal is enabled by installing the setuid binary. Is this a local package or part of a repository? Can someone post a link or URL?

Originally Posted by bom
** Screen problem **
... I rebooted and the screen developed a problem: grey vertical bar running through the G of the Google search box and streaking of all images. I tried rebooting, taking out the battery, recharging but no effect on the screen problem. ...
Sounds like your screen is broken. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and needed to return it for repair.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by troubleshootr
The Linux flasher works for re-flashing back to the old OS. It states on the download page that only the Linux flasher is supported. I guess many missed that part. Can anyone elaborate on how to enable the terminal? Aflegg stated that the terminal is enabled by installing the setuid binary. Is this a local package or part of a repository? Can someone post a link or URL?
I think you have got aflegg wrong, he was talking about getting root: either use terminal and usual sudo or setuid binary will run as root. But the terminal has not been ported yet (well, it's an important app for many people so maybe it already was :-))

Don't get me wrong. I am not panicking nor giving up. And I appreciate the positive advice. I have no linux system available, but I will try one of the bootable mini-linux images later today or tomorrow if I don't see a windows solution before then.

My anger is at the [idiots] who make the blanket statements like 'what did you expect for beta', or 'you were warned, it was marked beta' -- all of which are crap.

The status of the image [beta or otherwise] should have nothing to do with the functionality of the NON beta software used to flash it, particularly given the reputation [on this very board] of the 770 as being able to be brought back from virtually any disaster with a re-flash.

And further, if I had anything to do with putting up the image for download [and I have been part of software QC for a major silicon maker for 25+ years now, so this is an additional part of my frustration], I would have never put it up for download -- even an alpha version -- without at least testing -- and documenting -- recoverability with the recovery software and images from the same download site. That's 'rule one' in any software world in which I've been involved.

Even a statement that a 'new flasher is needed for the new image' [while not in the original link that started this thread] is hardly sufficient to warn a user that the OLD flasher won't reflash the OLD image.

Last edited by Clay; 2006-06-10 at 15:52.

Originally Posted by Mythic
I think you have got aflegg wrong, he was talking about getting root: either use terminal and usual sudo or setuid binary will run as root. But the terminal has not been ported yet (well, it's an important app for many people so maybe it already was :-))

My bad. I guess I was too hopeful.

Clay -
Cool beans.

Hopefully Nokia will start pushing out a windows version of the flasher-2.0 soon, as I need it too...

Has anybody had problems with mp3 files? I cannot listen to buzz out loud podcasts (at least not yesterday's and the day before).
In spite of that problem the new OS feels great.

clay - if youre running windows, have you used the nokia software update utility? It works for me....