Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clay: It wasn't so much the "This is a BETA" as much as the "use at your own risk, we assume no responsibility for anything that may happen".

dattani98: Most likely there's a swap partition on your RSMMC card, I've had varying degrees of success with Windows being able to see non FAT/NTFS partitions. Best bet is to get a linux boot CD/disk, run fdisk, and remove all partition data. If you're stuck in Windows, partition magic or the like should do it. www.tucows.com should have a load of free software to destroy partition tables with.

I posted earlier today about a screen problem I have developed after updating to OS 2006 Beta (post #139, page 14). I have taken some photos and posted them to http://www.iol.ie/~bom/nokia770/
Best not to bother looking unless you have broadband as the photos are big. Any thoughts as to whether this is a hardware screen problem or an OS 2006 Beta problem? Thanks.
Bom

Originally Posted by bom
I posted earlier today about a screen problem I have developed after updating to OS 2006 Beta (post #139, page 14). I have taken some photos and posted them to http://www.iol.ie/~bom/nokia770/
Best not to bother looking unless you have broadband as the photos are big. Any thoughts as to whether this is a hardware screen problem or an OS 2006 Beta problem? Thanks.
Bom
try flashing it back to 2005 OS
if your screen stays like this, well then it is a hardware problem

Originally Posted by bom
Bom
im sorry to tell you that, but i had exactly the same fault a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
dattani98: Most likely there's a swap partition on your RSMMC card, I've had varying degrees of success with Windows being able to see non FAT/NTFS partitions. Best bet is to get a linux boot CD/disk, run fdisk, and remove all partition data. If you're stuck in Windows, partition magic or the like should do it. www.tucows.com should have a load of free software to destroy partition tables with.
Cheers hedge

Some problems I have with the new OS:

Video player will not play some of the video that previously played on the old OS. They're 2+hour video (movie).

I use to be able to connect to the internet using my nokia 6600 phone (gprs). I had the 5.99 tmobileweb plan. After the update, it didn't work. I thought I set it up wrong, so I did a restore to my settings and select that, it still didn't work. Deleted it and recreating it...still no go. I can surf on my phone fine so I know it's not the phone. I'm tempted to flash back to see if it works.

Another thing is that it takes forever to find my access point, sometimes 2 or 3 refresh before it sees it. Of course I have wpa-psk, mac filter, and hide SSID. With just wep encryption on it finds it right away, but who wants that.

When using the file manager I get "updating" in the top right hand corner, and sometimes it just stuck there updating. Also I get the word "refreshing" or "searching" stuck in the right hand corner also. Sometimes I have to reboot to get rid of it.

Locks up a lot....sort of like when the 770 first came out, web browser closes more often.

Now before everyone scream BETA and I shouldn't complain, I think that is precisely what you suppose to do with a beta. You have to say what's wrong with it so nokia can straighten it out before final release to the public. Besides that I really like the new OS.

Originally Posted by Clay
The status of the image [beta or otherwise] should have nothing to do with the functionality of the NON beta software used to flash it, particularly given the reputation [on this very board] of the 770 as being able to be brought back from virtually any disaster with a re-flash.
Actually, I believe this is incorrect. The flashing api on the device, something called NOLO, did get an upgrade in the new OS. This is why the new flasher is required.

I agree pretty much with everyone's insight so far...

Big pluses for me:
+You don't have to choose an AP every damn time you open a browser window; you can choose to have it connect auto to a list of chosen WLAN's.

+Much "snappier". Menu's pop-up faster, things react quicker, the "feel" is a HUGE improvement. I'm sure the virtual memory extension will make this even better, but I won't risk messing with that right now.

+You can re-arrange the applets on your Home page (ie. clock, internet radio, etc), and there is an option to add additional ones (which of course isn't yet supported; it's BETA).

The only negatives I can think of are that not THAT many people use GoogleTalk, you can't have extended contact info like phone #'s and stuff, and the browser crashes sometimes.

But big deal, the device is so much more usable now! I'm sure it's not long now before minor inconveniences/bugs are fixed and apps are ported to the new OS.

P.S. I flashed using this method:

Under OSX for me the process is:

- Shut down 770.
- Plug 770 into computer
- Turn on 770 while holding down home key.
- "sudo ./flasher -F BETA.SU-18_2006SE_0.2006.22-21_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R" in terminal

(Before the last step, you need the flasher.macosx tool, "chmod +x" it to make it executable using the terminal, then, uh, rename it to flasher for convenience)

Then you type in your admin password and BAM 2006 OS
(Worked in about 2 minutes, props to whoever posted that earlier in the thread)

Last edited by plush; 2006-06-11 at 21:24.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by NokNok770
Some problems I have with the new OS:

Video player will not play some of the video that previously played on the old OS. They're 2+hour video (movie).

I use to be able to connect to the internet using my nokia 6600 phone (gprs). I had the 5.99 tmobileweb plan. After the update, it didn't work. I thought I set it up wrong, so I did a restore to my settings and select that, it still didn't work. Deleted it and recreating it...still no go. I can surf on my phone fine so I know it's not the phone. I'm tempted to flash back to see if it works.

Another thing is that it takes forever to find my access point, sometimes 2 or 3 refresh before it sees it. Of course I have wpa-psk, mac filter, and hide SSID. With just wep encryption on it finds it right away, but who wants that.

When using the file manager I get "updating" in the top right hand corner, and sometimes it just stuck there updating. Also I get the word "refreshing" or "searching" stuck in the right hand corner also. Sometimes I have to reboot to get rid of it.

Locks up a lot....sort of like when the 770 first came out, web browser closes more often.

Now before everyone scream BETA and I shouldn't complain, I think that is precisely what you suppose to do with a beta. You have to say what's wrong with it so nokia can straighten it out before final release to the public. Besides that I really like the new OS.
All valid bugs ... I can confirm most of them. However, they will likely not be seen by anyone who can do anything about them unless you report them in https://maemo.org/bugzilla/
That is where they can be effectively tracked and not slip though the cracks.

If more people filled out bugs or submitted their details to matching bugs there rather than whining on forums that they got poked by the pointy bits they were forewarned about, the final release will be that much better. Filling out proper bug reports in the proper place is a *huge* way anyone (including non-developers) can contribute to the open source process.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by plush

P.S. I flashed using this method:

Under OSX for me the process is:

- Shut down 770.
- Plug 770 into computer
- Turn on 770 while holding down home key.
- "sudo ./flasher -F BETA.SU-18_2006SE_0.2006.22-21_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R" in terminal

(Before the last step, you need the flasher.macosx tool, "chmod -x" it to make it executable using the terminal, then, uh, rename it to flasher for convenience)

Then you type in your admin password and BAM 2006 OS

(Worked in about 2 minutes, props to whoever posted that earlier in the thread)

I wondered why mine wouldn't work! I was trying to follow those same steps I had seen for OSX, but that last little bit you added regarding "chmod", that explaind why i couldn't run the flasher from Terminal.

Oh well - I used the GUI flasher for Mac OSX that was done by Mr. AFlegg...worked perefectly, this is the tool I always use for updates. I believe his tool does the same thing as typing in the Terminal command, except it's made for Linux "know-nothings" like me...

Maybe he can make his tool available for download, I couldn't find it anymore...I just happened to have a copy of it...