Notices

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, i had to disable and enable it from the panels menu to get all the options to take effect, so...

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
@fiferboy

Nice release .

Would it be possible to add in the broken xterm functionality like cmd-navigator? I don't mind if root support isn't enabled on install but could a hack like cmd-navigator, to add a file to the sudo dir to allow personal menu to run root apps?

Btw: I know it sounds like I'm complaing all the time but I do really like personal menu but those features would mean a lot as at least 1/2 of the commands I use need them.
If you add the all/all/nopasswd (whatever it actually says) to sudoers (with visudo), then you can add apps that run as root; just preface the commandline with sudo.

The xterm, I'm not sure of, but it should be pretty easy.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-03-14 at 22:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
As far as installing a new version, the control panel plugin will be update the first time you run control panel after the install. You can either reboot, or disable the plugin through "Control Panel" "Panels" then re-enable it.

For xterm, the problem is if you start a new xterm with dbus and pass it a command, at least in OS2008, a new terminal opens with no scroll bar, no text, no text entry and the command does not execute. If you try launching the command by executing "osso-xterm ls" or "osso-xterm -e ls" the same thing happens. Ditto for "maemo-invoke osso-xterm.launch"

I'm not sure if it worked this way in OS2007, as I have a N810. Does Command Navigator do the same thing for xterm in OS2008? I have looked at the code, and it seems to be using the DBUS method.

All the code for xterm and root is in the program, but I commented it out for this version as I did not have enough time to test root, and xterm didn't work at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
If you add the all/all/nopasswd (whatever it actually says) to sudoers (with visudo), then you can add apps that run as root; just preface the commandline with sudo.

The xterm, I'm not sure of, but it should be pretty easy.
Okay, thanks, I'll look into it

Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
As far as installing a new version, the control panel plugin will be update the first time you run control panel after the install. You can either reboot, or disable the plugin through "Control Panel" "Panels" then re-enable it.

For xterm, the problem is if you start a new xterm with dbus and pass it a command, at least in OS2008, a new terminal opens with no scroll bar, no text, no text entry and the command does not execute. If you try launching the command by executing "osso-xterm ls" or "osso-xterm -e ls" the same thing happens. Ditto for "maemo-invoke osso-xterm.launch"

I'm not sure if it worked this way in OS2007, as I have a N810. Does Command Navigator do the same thing for xterm in OS2008? I have looked at the code, and it seems to be using the DBUS method.

All the code for xterm and root is in the program, but I commented it out for this version as I did not have enough time to test root, and xterm didn't work at all.
cmd-navigator works quite well. It does have problems (big?). You tap a command and it will invoke 2 xterm. The second xterm has the command you ran (so it does manage to execute it) but has no toolbar. If we look to the first xterm, it has 2 toolbars and a busybox session running like a normal xterm.

I'd be interested in recompiling with the experimental root support and trying it out as this does have the sexiness factor over cmd-navigator :P (sorry, Jiri)

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Hi fiferboy,

First of all thanks a lot for this great application!

I've got one question: How did you manage to install Aisleriot Solitaire on your N8x0 with OS2008? On http://live.gnome.org/Aisleriot/Hildon it's still saying "N810 (Maemo 4.x): Not yet available."

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
It's somewhere on this forum. I had it on my N800 OS2008 too.

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
qwerty12: That's the problem I am having too. Except it seems the second terminal doesn't actullay run the command for me. I will see if I can find the problem with xterm.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ fairfield, ct
Fantastic release -- and very handy.

The only problem I've had is with adding any of the pre-installed games from the "select from installed applications" tab. Mahjong, for example, has a command line of /usr/bin/osso_mahjong.sh -- and this bombs out with an "Execution Failed" message. Any way of editing these lines so that the games load?

Thanks again for a great application.

ctden: You can certainly edit the command after you add Mahjong to the menu. Just find it in the "Change Menu Items" list, select it, and click "Edit". I don't know what the appropriate command would be, but anything that lets you launch it from xterm should work.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
To launch majong try

/usr/bin/mahjong_startup /usr/share/osso-mahjong/osso_mahjong.conf

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxrebel For This Useful Post: