Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Originally Posted by TechnoDoc
How usable is the finger / thumb keyboard?
Works great with the 770 on your lap and using fingertips to stab at the letters - you can type quite fast that way.
But when holding the 770 in your hands, I've found a slight issue with it: fairly frequently it doesn't register a letter but still plays the 'tap' sound effect so you don't notice you've missed a letter until you're just about to press return.

While I'm here, I might as well run with it
I initially thought I'd really like to see a Tab key on the main page of the finger keyboard - so you can tab through input fields? Maybe there's no point though because you wouldn't always know for sure the tab order on the page was sensible...
They could get really clever about it and have the field name shown at the top (say in a small font?), so you enter your Name, tab through to the next field, which turns out to be Surname, then Middle name, if the tab order is a bit wonky etc.
That would depend on the site being at least vaguely accessible (in the DDA meaning)/standards compliant (i.e. with it's input forms properly labelled in the source with proper title attributes etc), but most sites make a good go at that these days, so it should work in most cases...
(Disclaimer: I test web applications for a living )

Originally Posted by Clay
rocket surgeons
I love this phrase.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy
All valid bugs ... I can confirm most of them. However, they will likely not be seen by anyone who can do anything about them unless you report them in https://maemo.org/bugzilla/
That is where they can be effectively tracked and not slip though the cracks.
Awesome. I was going to ask about this.

The email client seems better (even if it does a poor job of organizing multiple accounts). However, tapping and holding on the scoll bar pops up what appears to be an empty menu and tapping and holding on the column headings in the inbox causes the program to quit (although that might be a feature -- "undocumented fast termination?").

Originally Posted by bom
I posted earlier today about a screen problem I have developed after updating to OS 2006 Beta (post #139, page 14). I have taken some photos and posted them to http://www.iol.ie/~bom/nokia770/
Best not to bother looking unless you have broadband as the photos are big.
Bom
Amusingly, the page you created to document the problem you found caused my 770 to lock up entirely. I eventually had to pull out the battery in order to recover, which I've never needed to do before. Proof, I guess, that this is, indeed, a beta version of the OS.

Hm... as I'm tapping this post I'm finding that not only did they rearrange the old "small keys" virtual keyboard (some good changes, like putting the quotation mark under the apostrophe) but they seem to have altered the "tap and slide" behavior slightly. Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Originally Posted by Jeffgrado
Treo fans can now keep the phone in their backpacks.. OS2006 now pairs correctly.
Yeah, the pairing definitely seems improved. I haven't been able to get my 770 to actually make the dial-up connection yet, though. Are you using the full name@sprintpcs.com username and password? The Clie I've been using recently only needed the name part of name@sprintpcs.com and no password, but that doesn't seem to be working. ...Or I could have messed up something else. EDIT: I was unthinkingly assuming you were also a Sprint customer, which obviously isn't necessarily the case. Please excuse me.

People have listed a lot of things that have changed in the 2006 version of the OS, but another thing I really like is the fact that copy, cut and paste have been moved up a level in the pop-up menu on the virtual keyboard. That's a nice touch.

Last edited by Stickarm; 2006-06-11 at 08:23.

talking about reboots - mines crashed a few times wher even the ON\OFF button has stopped working and i've had to take the battery out to reboot. reported on bugzilla as bug #520

Originally Posted by dattani98
talking about reboots - mines crashed a few times wher even the ON\OFF button has stopped working and i've had to take the battery out to reboot. reported on bugzilla as bug #520
Did you restore using the backup utility? I was getting frequent reboots and lockups after doing a restore. This morning I reflashed using the Linux flasher, but did not do a restore. I have been using the 770 all day without any reboots. I did get a few application crashes, but not one reboot or lockup. Perhaps the restore from 2005 OS data causing instability?

Just a thought.

no - that was the other thing - I wasn't able to restore to 2005 as it kept crashing about 1%. in the end i gave up and started from scratch

Under OSX for me the process is:

- Shut down 770.
- Plug 770 into computer
- Turn on 770 while holding down home key.
- "sudo ./flasher -F BETA.SU-18_2006SE_0.2006.22-21_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R" in terminal

(Before the last step, you need the flasher.macosx tool, "chmod -x" it to make it executable using the terminal, then, uh, rename it to flasher for convenience)

Then you type in your admin password and BAM 2006 OS
Just a note that should be "chmod +x" not "-x"

Ok, based on postings here and a PM, I tried to reflash back to the 05/06 image with the linux flasher running in an xterm window in a vmware player/browser appliance [firefox under ubuntu] combination under XP. Everything looked good, got the 'Suitable USB device not found' message, turned it on, got the 'USB device found at...' message, but then immediately, I got 'Unsupported board (id=0x0000)' , the flasher did nothing, exited and the 770 rebooted.

Ok, so the PM suggested using the old flasher. Maybe that was wrong. So I tried the new 2.0 flasher. No board error reported, and everything seemed to work just fine till about 33% of the rootfs image, I get 'Write failed after xxxxxxxxxxxx bytes', 'usb_bulk_write: resource temporarily unavailble', and I'm back at the linux prompt, the flash progress meter on the 770 is stuck at a third of the way, and the usb icon is still on in the upper right. So I pull the usb and pull the battery.

Now when I power up, I have a brick that does nothing but say 'Nokia' [till I remove the battery].

But I figure, well at least maybe the old flasher got installed. So I try re-flashing with the OLD flasher this time, and indeed, now the old one works -- no board version error messages. Again, everything looks fine, it gets all the way to then end, I get the 'Finished flashing' message, ready to hi-five -- only next it says 'NOLO_REQ_FLASH_FINISH: Protocol error', and no reboot. Just hangs with the usb still on in the upper right. So pull the usb again.

But this time, removing the battery, it seems to be back to the 05/06 image -- though the clock is now screwed up the way many have reported -- despite the fact that it was never screwed up for me when I had flashed the 05/06 image for the first time.

So it goes, at least I can run vnc again.

But the whole idea of using software in flash to do the flash? Sorry, but round these parts, we'd call that a brain dead hardware design.

Clay -
Glad you got your nokia working, how about a thanks to everyone who gave you hints instead of complaining some more?

during a boring (religious) wedding I attended today, in a 10 minute period of time, I tethered my N770 (OS2006BETA) to my edge cell phone connetion, managed to login to my novell account (it remembered my username and password from before), review an extra credit response of a 30 question prompt (a word .doc format) to a video I posted on my website (novell reader provides a word doc reader although there are a couple of decent websites offering the same), changed his grade from an F to a D-, (thru ICUE online public ED grading system), and email him back with indications indicating that he wouldn't fail (he CARED.)

What I am saying is, although the bugs are there, this 2006 OS has already allowed me to do what I dreamed of doing as an educator WHEREVER I WANT TO DO IT, on an N770,
despite the warts, bugs, errors, and freak occurances.

Originally Posted by Coolty
Clay -
Glad you got your nokia working, how about a thanks to everyone who gave you hints instead of complaining some more?
Sure -- thanks to everyone in the first dozen or so pages of this thread saying how wonderful it is to try this new beta.

Good enough?