Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Prague?
Nope
Name:  Screenshot_20200203_001.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  275.8 KB
above image is inserted via upload attachments and inserting via the paper-clip icon (using ATTACH tags)

below image is inserted via full web link of formerly uploaded image (using IMG tags)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2020-02-03 at 17:30. Reason: to remember correct usage of picture uploading

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
below image is inserted via full web link of formerly uploaded image (using IMG tags)
That explains it. I've been racking my brains for the past two days.

This is how your link shows on my screen. Notice Prague at the right edge. Hence my question in post #110.

It must be a screen resolution thing or something.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Yep, smells like screen resolution detection and widening the map according to scale (nice feature!).

@pichlo: the garbage above can be avoided if one does not refer (IMG tags) the attachment within the post. Else it will be shown at bottom as linked description only..

So Inguess best way of attaching pictures is:
upload, get the full link of that attachment and insert a picture link into your post?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I guess best way of attaching pictures is:
upload, get the full link of that attachment and insert a picture link into your post?
That's what I did!

As far as I can tell, there are two ways of using an attachment:
  1. Upload and don't touch it. That will end up with the attachments listed at the bottom of your post, like this. If the attachment is a picture, TMO will try to display it, like this.
    After juiceme's recent changes to picture size limits (thank you again, juiceme!), that may look like garbage because TMO does not scale such pictures to fit.
  2. Upload and use the "[attach]" tag. This is the technique I used for years, for example here.
    Unfortunately, TMO does not scale pictures displayed this way either, resulting in artifacts like here or in your post above.

The only way to make TMO scale the picture is to use the "[img]" tag, for which you need a full URL. My post #112 used that technique: uploaded the attachment, grabbed its URL and used the "[img]" tag. That's the properly displayed image. The garbage at the bottom is the attachment displayed as per point 1 above.

As far as I know, there are only three ways of avoiding that garbage:
  1. Downscale the image before uploading it as an attachment. Works in most cases but not all.
  2. Use an external picture hosting service. I am ideologically opposed to that.
  3. Upload it in a dummy post and then make another post in which you refer to the attachment in a way it can be embedded nicely. But that dummy post will still look like garbage.

I tried uploading attachments in the past without using them but I found they get automatically deleted, so orphaned attachments will not work.

Is there a proper solution? Well, yes, at least two. But both require some work on the side of our highly esteemed webmaster (juiceme, I bow to you again!).
  1. Persuade TMO to scale all pictures, whether embedded as "[img]" or not. I suspect this is more work than option 2,
  2. Remove the special case for handling picture attachments. I have absolutely zero objections to having all attachments listed like this, whether they are text files, archives or pictures. To display them as a picture, refer to them as "[img]" in your post.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
So I guess best way of attaching pictures is:
Oops, yes. That is what I meant but did not write:
using full link in IMG tags.

Vote for option #2

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2020-02-05 at 22:38. Reason: s/im/in

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Hah! I was not as stupid as I believed I was when I tried to get the images without the crappy partial image being displayed. Hah! My self esteem is so high now!

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
1, upload attachment
2. copy link from the file in "current attachments" section via right click
3. Add that awkward-non-jpg suffix link as IMG tag
3a. maybe hit preview post so you see composition
4. Remove attachment, file still stays on server.
5. Post Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
OK, let's have a look, if I got it right...

That's the entry I should have made last month, but I fear it's a little bit late:

By the way, there is still no February Theme for our competition. If Juiceme don't want to start a new competition, maybe one of the two second placed guys want to...???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
4. Remove attachment, file still stays on server.
In my experience, this has NOT been the case. I can try to give it a go again:

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
OK, let's have a look, if I got it right...

That's the entry I should have made last month, but I fear it's a little bit late:
http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1580974956

By the way, there is still no February Theme for our competition. If Juiceme don't want to start a new competition, maybe one of the two second placed guys want to...???
The above post demonstrates my point. The attachment is NOT on the server any more.

Juiceme announced the February topic three days ago. It is, "Earth".

Tags
camera phone, competition