Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Remote User: a proxy issue, perhaps?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I don't get it-- I've already got the latest update on my tablet (that I can find on Nokia's site), but it still reports the 2005 OS. So what am I missing? I can't find any download other than 5.2006.13-7, which doesn't *appear* to have anything to do with the OS update.

???

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK

I've noticed a few bugs in the mistral beta - can anyone else confirm these before I report them ?

1. Notes crashes with "Notes closed due to an internal error" when I try to "Save As..." a plain-text note. I can save an HTML note, and I can even save as HTML, change the format to plain, and then do a regular Save (not "Save As...", although it does save with the non-html extension).

2. Notes crashes with "Notes closed due to an internal error" when I try to open an HTML file from the file manager (but opening a plain-text file works fine, and opening anything from the Notes application itself also works fine).

3. It is impossible to select text in a text field (at least multi-line, maybe single-line too, I forget) in the opera web browser and copy it for pasting elsewhere. Every time I try to select either the on-screen keyboard's or the menu's "Copy" menu items, the selection is cleared and nothing is copied. It's very frustrating!

Still, I love this update - there's no going back!

Last edited by gnuite; 2006-06-13 at 03:08. Reason: Forgot to mention that #3 pertains to the opera web browser.

I also experienced some copy-not-copying behavior (especially on xterm) or maybe it's the xterm

Originally Posted by gnuite
It is impossible to select text in a text field (at least multi-line, maybe single-line too, I forget) in the opera web browser and copy it for pasting elsewhere.
Opera had this same behavior in the 2005 OS. While the copy function in the pop-up menu on the virtual keyboard doesn't work when dealing with text fields, the copy function in Opera's drop-down menu does work in that situation. Hooray for redundancy!

You know as a software developer, the most annoying thing that can happen is when you release an early beta and people _complain_ that's it doesn't fully work:

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2006/0...2006-beta.html

Very uninformed blog. eg: "And if this is what is being shipped on new 770's, then those new owners are not going to be happy campers.". WTF? What planet is this guyu from?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Arizona, USA
I read that blog post when it was featured on OSNews yesterday. I expected it to generally echo the sentiments of the people here; that although its a beta release with the understandable problems, things are looking good. Boy was I wrong. Quotes like "once installed, you can't revert back to an earlier version of the software", "I don't know what's happening with the browser, but it's unstable", "The system is unstable", and finally "Since my accounts are AIM and Yahoo, there's no way for me to use either of those services. The VoIP requires me to purchase a Bluetooth capable headset" clearly show he doesn't really have too much of an idea whet he's talking about and he doesn't understand what beta means.

Last edited by shoegoo; 2006-06-13 at 17:17.

zetsurin-

I can tell you exactly where that blogger is from. He's from planet Blog.
Here are some characteristics of people from planet Blog, aka Blogizens:

1) Unnecessarily aggressive. They will attack you for no apparent reason and will not stop their vitriolic rants until they perceive you have been shamed to death. If you turn around and insult them back, they will take it as encouragement because of #3 below. The best way to prevent this is to not read their blogs and reduce their hitcount. I hear this hurts them badly.

2) Uninformed. While they have an advanced civilization with computers, wireless internet access, and lots of electronic gadgetry, Blogizens have not yet learned to use their brains fully, leading to significant errors in judgement and reasoning.

3) Hungry for attention. Blogizen will say anything to be noticed, no opinion, no matter how ridiculous, is wrong as long as it scores a link from a blogsite. Other justifications for attention are, "e-props", "comment stars". They love feedback. The more feedback you leave on their page, the longer their comment page gets. Long comment pages on planet Blog are similar to the necks of women in the Karen-Padung tribe on Earth - the longer, the more beautiful.

4) Always negative. You can tell a Planet Blogger from an Earth person by looking at the tone of their comments. Citizens of planet Blog are always negative in their tone. Scientists say that this is because negative comments and insults are perceived as being "interesting" in underdeveloped Blogizen brains.

Last edited by sonoronos; 2006-06-13 at 18:19.

I just bought the 770 last night, and got VNC to work with it thanks to these great forums! Yay! I love it!

However, I was looking around at stuff and noticed this, a Nokia 870 picture (prototype)?

When is this thing coming out?

I would have made a new thread, but since I'm new, I guess it won't let me on this forum.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/n...s-in-the-wild/