Active Topics

Eugenia Loli-Queru posted a review of the N810 and OS2008. Read it here.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Good review!

It's quite fair and mentions a bit of community stuff.

She raises an interesting point about the decreasing number of applications for the tablets. Could the breaking of compatibility with each os update be the cause, like she writes?

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- this idiot has consistently exhibited a lack of understanding of the FOSS model over numerous reviews in the past several years, and is only a shill for the web site... truly one of the most clueless 'tech journalists' on the market...

- statements such as:

"the truth is that the platform has taken a hit. Nokia broke compatibility three times so far, and just like in their Symbian platform, the number of third party applications available are fewer and fewer."

show she is totally devoid of any understanding regarding Debian, C, Linux-based operating systems, etc...

- no compatibility has been broken...

- Linux users don't give a Romeo Alpha about 'third-party' applications - only those apps needed to scratch a particular itch...

Last edited by linux_author; 2008-03-22 at 19:51.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No compatibility has been broken? Why can't OS 2007 projects easily and nicely be installed in all situations?

You'd think that it boils down to compatibility of the components and the fact that a lot of 2007 apps have yet to be recompiled. Or is that a backlash for the abysmal way that Nokia handled the N810 and getting into the hands of developers second, and the masses first.

I'm honestly asking, not saying you're wrong.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No compatibility has been broken? Why can't OS 2007 projects easily and nicely be installed in all situations?
- this is the point... os2006/7/8/9, et al are artificial boundaries... at the source level, nearly all Debian apps compile and install w/no problems in the tablet... the main flaw is the STUPID NOKIA REPOSITORY CONCEPT!

- it's the consumer-level commercial aspect of the tablet that seems to cause the most problems for the non-Linux market...

- for most knowledgeable Linux users, the tablet presents a wonderful platform that serves admirably...

- i have nearly every application i need from my os2007 tablet running just fine on my os2008 tablet; this includes text editing, pdf readers, video players, music players, image displayers, etc...

- let's see... .html? check... .mp3? check... .divx? check... .avi? check... .pdf? check... .txt? check... .doc? check... .jpg? check...

- printing? no problem via ssh | lpr on a remote host...

- as a reference hardware platform, the n800 handles lots of different devices... thumb drives, external usb hard drives, rs232 adapters, usb ethernet... usb webcams (and if i get some time, most likely my Intel QX3 usb microscope)...

- what 'compatibility' problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to linux_author For This Useful Post:
I agree that she doesn't seem to grasp that basically any linux app can be ported to the tablets. But they are only useful if someone actually does the porting and packaging and updates them for each maemo release.

It seems as if she's speaking from a consumer level, not a linux user/guru level. The complaints would be totally different if that were the case.

As it stands, people will invariably make that mistake; I've only seen the reviews here that really hit the mark for what I'd state was "my stance as a user"... but at the same time, this is a more consumer aimed product so reviews as such will keep popping up until the interface, installation, and everything above the shell is made easier for the joe-blow consumer.

With that in mind, the review isn't that bad.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I
With that in mind, the review isn't that bad.
- sorry, but the reviewer doesn't get a 'pass' ... this 'journalist' has been guilty of bad reviews, inflammatory invectives, and hare-brained diatribes without having the slightest clue about technical issues in the information technology industry... a long-running history of bad prose and troll-baiting... much like Dvorak but without half the talent...

wow. a comparison to Dvorak... that's pretty bad. I'll be honest in saying that I don't know the historical tendencies of this person and I appreciate your answers.