Does the N810 support Java and Javascript?

Cheers!!!

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
javascript yes, java sort of but not really.

The Following User Says Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post:
Tablerat - Thank you for your support and honest answer. I am new to linux, and tablet products.

Thank you again. question, in your opion would you get a N800, or N810? I have been reading that you can flash the N800 with the newer os.

Thank you,
Cheers!

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Both are great machines, but that is a question for someone else - I have the older 770.
It guess the most obvious answer is that it depends on your use and how much you can get them for. Do you need the hardware keyboard, do you need huge amounts of memory for media etc?
You are better off doing a search on the forum - there are some good threads detailing the differences between the two

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Check this thread out. It's helping me decide between the two. HTH
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2008 @ North Texas, U.S.A.
Originally Posted by datchcha View Post
Does the N810 support Java and Javascript?
I don't believe the N8x0 tablets ship with a Java installation.

A little while ago I explored Java for Maemo, and settled on Jalimo, which provides a Java 5 SE environment without AWT/Switng but with Eclipse SWT GUI libraries.

The company I work for recently demonstrated our product on this Java environment at a large trade show. The product ran on a Windows XP laptop, two versions of Windows Mobile, and the N800. Moving to the N800 and Jalimo required no changes to the Java-centric product.

There's also an entry for Java on a Nokia blog.

Other Java solutions I encountered implement the more constrained mobile Java libraries. IBM's J9 and Sun's phoneME distributions fall into this category, as does jamvm.

Bob

has anyone got java to work as a web browser add on for n800?

Is SIP supported on the N800? or is that a feature of the OS2008? I find the infromation on the N800 limited compaired to the N810 on Nokia's website.

Software is the same, so yes, SIP client works on both.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
As rwzeitgeist says, there's no version of ITOS which ships with Java support.

The web browser in OS2008 is a Gecko-based browser, similar to Firefox 3; so fully supports JavaScript. However, apart from a similarity of syntax there is no commonality between JavaScript and Java.

Jalimo can be used to run Java SE applications, using SWT as a GUI toolkit and this is making good progress. Even without using the Jazelle extensions supported by the CPU, apart from start-up time, it's not as slow as I was expecting in use.

There are no browser plugins which hook into Jalimo or similar to provide Java applet support in the browser, as far as I'm aware.