Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Before I got involved with 770 production, I had no idea plastic could even be anodized. Turned out to be a really cool process, but one that required a lot of oversight...

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Wow good collection. I dont intend to make you buy one. But what i am saying is the tablets have come along way from the 770 and i just cant wait for the wimax one.
I have a few other things. A couple of various newtons (a OMP, 120, 130, 2100), a tapwave, an old iPaq 3800, a couple of older powerbooks.
Not exactly a collector, I just never get round to letting go!

It will be quite a while before wimax is of interest where I am though. Although 3G works nicely for me at the moment.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Denver, CO
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Now the whole "send the product to Apple because the battery is soldered to the motherboard is a BAD MOVE on Apple's part. And a $4 new Nokia battery? It's not stolen?

Search Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/BP-5L-Battery-fo...QQcmdZViewItem

Like I said 4$ but morelike 1.29$ for battery 5.49$ to ship. New in the box.

Remeber that the battery Nokia decided to use is in every cell phone out there. Its not a special Ipod battery or Palm device battery.

Thats smart thinking.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
It is a special nokia battery that nokia made (well, not that particular one), it is just that there are more of them used, becasue there are more phones.

And no, it isn't in every cell phone, it isn't even in every nokia.

And no, I wouldn't buy a $7 battery (adding problems there?) from ebay for my phone - if it is worth buying a a decent phone, it is worth getting a genuine battery. Not all batteries are created equal, and yes, I know someone who had a non genuine battery that caught fire.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
kvakvak, afaik right now there is only Books.app ( http://code.google.com/p/iphoneebooks/ ) for the iphone\touch that supports very limited formats and no landscape mode. Some people use a hack that makes use of Safari's ability to read pdf\doc\xls to read their materials, but I don't think it's worth bothering if you're just a casual (e)book reader. Better wait for proper 3rd party app in about 2 months time. (There's even gonna be MS Office for iphone? http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...hone_apps.html )
[/url]
MS Office please. Its the same junk on the Smartphones devices. Give me a break I have used smartphones a long time from CE 1.0 to the latest versions WM6 and Word and excel suck bad.

Nothing to date does what N800-N810 does with Gnumeric Spreadsheet

And thats a fact

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
It is a special nokia battery that nokia made (well, not that particular one), it is just that there are more of them used, becasue there are more phones.

And no, it isn't in every cell phone, it isn't even in every nokia.

And no, I wouldn't buy a $7 battery (adding problems there?) from ebay for my phone - if it is worth buying a a decent phone, it is worth getting a genuine battery. Not all batteries are created equal, and yes, I know someone who had a non genuine battery that caught fire.
Dude did you look at the page? Its a nokia battery not some rip off. I have 2 friends over in UK and APAC and they said to me that battery is one of the most widely used Nokia batts. I bet you live in the US?

Nokia thought about the consumer here not some special battery that would cost us 70$ to replace.

This is by design and not by luck.

You can by a car charger or wall charger at Biglots for 4$ Do that with an IPOD. It will cost you 130$ + A JOKE and Apple does it by design.

Last I checked, this was an open forum though...and as such, people can post about whatever they please. Honestly, I felt the OP's comments were well thought out and for once based on personal experience with both devices.

I don't know how many responses and criticisms I read about Apple's device from people who haven't even used them.

I for one appreciate a post like this and feel that it didn't have to turn into a comparison thread. It's the people who respond to it taking it personal that turn it into one.

my .02

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stjuste For This Useful Post:
The funny thing about these message boards is that we talk about Apple VS Nokia for some dumb reason.

Facts
Apple stole the idea "like always" of the NIT from Nokia.

Onboard keyboard stolen from Nokia N770
Area touch stolen from Nokia N770

Sad but true.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by stjuste View Post
Last I checked, this was an open forum though...and as such, people can post about whatever they please. Honestly, I felt the OP's comments were well thought out and for once based on personal experience with both devices.
Being an open forum, those of us who are tired of the endless threads on the subject are also free to ***** about how irritating they're getting.

This really belongs in Competitors, anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by witznitz View Post
Remeber that the battery Nokia decided to use is in every cell phone out there. Its not a special Ipod battery or Palm device battery.

Thats smart thinking.
I think Apple expects that most owners will have bought a new Shiny Thing by the time the battery is past its life expectancy. They are more fashion items than the tablets afer all.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-03-27 at 22:27.