Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Denver, CO
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
Huh? What did nokia steal from the NIT?
Onboard keyboard? Every electronic device made in the last 15 years had one of those! The newton had one of those in 1992.
True but not true. Not a full size onboard keyboard that understands your finger vs stulas.

Thats a bigger diffenace.

If they upgraded the thing would be one thing but they plain out stole it and said they made it and its the first device to have it.

Check their ads.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by witznitz View Post
Ipod are world known for dead batteries. Thats why every store in the US sells battery kits. they dont sell Hard drive kits only battery kits.
iPods are world known (in fact probably not that much of the world) for being music players. Not every store in the US sells battery kits.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

As I said, I have had several iPods, and I know many people with iPods, and I have not had problems with batteries, and there is no person that I know who has had a problem. I am not saying no person has a problem, I am saying that any problems are way below what you say.

Here are 2 stores incase you dont know about the bad batts.
Then you also told me that a battery for an iPod was over $130, and then show me a link for one for $29?

and these prices have dropped from 60$+ because itouch came out.
Even though these aren't batteries for an iPod touch?!

Apple like Sony always sells top end stuff and misses out on core things to profit them self. Kind a dumb.
I am not from the US, so I can't really say what the american dream is, but I would have thought that a company doing something to profit itself was pretty close to a core value!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I could care less what people think about MY n800 or MY iphone: whether they love it, hate it, and they can spend the whole day typing mean-spirited comments THEN getting taking it all personally defending their favored platform... or whatever.

But what I hope ppl do (Especially the from the Nokia side) is be like Vikings (or pirates) and steal\plunder whatever that's good from the other camp to improve the their platform.. rather than being self righteous and shut yourself up from a good source of ideas.
That is a big problem that I see. Instead of looking at how well the iPod Touch or iPhone solves some of its mobile usability issues, people tend to feel like their app or their device shouldn't be like that at all. You don't need to copy ideas, but at least learn from what has been done well in some areas. Unfortunately when people act like this it causes suffering for the end user who doesn't get the benefits of good ideas that are already out there simply because someone couldn't swallow their pride and continues to think that similar devices are their "enemy".

The Following User Says Thank You to Benz145 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bow View Post
In that case I think we're all out of luck

Seriously though, I kind of agree with the people above. Even though the original post is very well written, do we need more comparisons? For some people, the apple-products are going to be better, for some people, the nokia offerings are better.

They're all awesome pieces of technology that surpass everything I dreamt of as little as three or four years ago.
I'm not trying to stir up a "fight" here between the two devices, I just wanted people to really understand what is different between the two before they purchase one or the other. For those of you saying that the N810 isn't even designed for the same audience as the iPod Touch, then I suppose I was confused when I bought the N810, and maybe my post will help others who might also be confused. I bought the N810 to be a mobile internet companion, however in my use the iPod Touch has provided a better experience for my purposes. For the uber Linux pros out there, I'm sure the N810 is a wonderful device for you, but I suppose I was mislead into thinking it was a mobile companion and multimedia device.

Originally Posted by kvakvak View Post
First, thanks for the post!
I must disagree with most NOKIA hardliners, but this kind of posts are necessary and also very useful. If you don't want to read them then don't! But exactly as the author wrote he is just a user not a developer.
And WE users have different priorities for the devices we use.

I also have another question for Benz145.
I'm in the exactly the same boat and I'm considering buying the ipod touch. The most important question for me is if there is an ebook reader for the device. I would greatly appreciate a screenshot of the ebook reader in landscape mode.

Thanks
There are some screenshots at this link posted by ysss, it doesn't look like there is landscape mode at this point, but as ysss also mentioned, you will probably see a better ebook reader when the SDK enabled release comes out in June.

Honest account of personal experiences with 2 comparable devices... CHECK

The "These devices are not comparable!" post... CHECK

The "Stop creating these threads that I don't like but can't resist posting in!" post... CHECK

The "The N8X0 is better because it runs Joe Blow Non Consumer App X" post... CHECK

I love these threads.

I'm just waiting for the N8x0 vs The MIU HDPC threads.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mulder For This Useful Post:
The funny thing about these message boards is that we talk about Apple VS Nokia for some dumb reason.

Facts
Apple stole the idea "like always" of the NIT from Nokia.

Onboard keyboard stolen from Nokia N770
Area touch stolen from Nokia N770

Sad but true.
I think there were plenty of devices that did both of these things before either of these two devices, they are just ideas, not patented designs. Have you ever heard the saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? I think that comes in to play pretty heavily here. Even if you are saying they stole the idea, they did a good job improving upon it, they weren't too swelled up in their own pride to look over it and move on to something else.

True but not true. Not a full size onboard keyboard that understands your finger vs stulas.

Thats a bigger diffenace.

If they upgraded the thing would be one thing but they plain out stole it and said they made it and its the first device to have it.

Check their ads.
Are you kidding me?

One of the most amazing features of the iPod and iPhone is the onscreen keyboard. The iTouch keyboard figures out your next key-press and actually enlarges the active area of the next logical letter. Its one of the most impressive onscreen keyboards out there. It behaves very differently as well, allowing you to hold one finger on the character key then slide over to the symbol in one swift stroke. You can talk about many things that the N810/N800 might do better but Apple's onscreen keyboard is practically genius. Look up some of the speed comparisons and it beats out much larger UMPC's in some cases.

Please please, try to be informed before ranting

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
...I have had 12 nokias in the house...

_________

Originally Posted by mulder View Post
Honest account of personal experiences with 2 comparable devices... CHECK

The "These devices are not comparable!" post... CHECK

The "Stop creating these threads that I don't like but can't resist posting in!" post... CHECK

The "The N8X0 is better because it runs Joe Blow Non Consumer App X" post... CHECK

I love these threads.

I'm just waiting for the N8x0 vs The MIU HDPC threads.
Good summary

Sorry for the wall of replies, I just popped my head in here to see that the thread had gone for 8 replies to 90+ overnight x_x.