Notices

I have an n800 running OS2008 that I've had for just a couple weeks. I installed Canola 2 when I first got it and it had been running great up until yesterday. Now when I try to open Canola is says "loading" in the corner and then fails. When I run it in xTerm i get the following message:

File "/usr/bin/canola", line 18, in ?
import ecore
ImportError: No module named ecore

I don't know why it did this but I've been trying to fix it all day, and after looking through forums and web pages for hours I'm at my wit's end. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, using canola cleanup, but still the same error. I assume that something's gone missing but I'm not a master of Linux so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have Youtube installed. I had a similar problem......canola wouldn't start up because memory had been max'd out. Just an idea. I discarded email and then it started fine.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hei,

did you run with the -vv (it gives better error handling)
It can be that you don't have enough memory free on the internal disk : / We are trying to create a way to provide this error message, but the whole canola actually doesn't start it breaks before : /

so : can you please try freeing some memory on the internal disk and trying again?

Marcel0
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

I did have youtube installed, but I uninstalled it when I uninstalled and then reinstalled canola.

I have plenty of free space on both the internal flash and the internal SD card (75 megs and 115 megs free), so that isn't the problem.

I ran the command canola -vv and I got the exact same error message.

Ok,

So no problem, the error is a old one : you have a corrupted installation.
This can happens if the server (repository) fails(or send a corrupted) to send you a file and it doesnt get installed properly.

What you should try (if didn't try) because it really solved everyone's with the same error problems is : run canola-cleanup, remove all other repositories but the basic ones, reboot, refresh the application list. Make sure your connection is working perfectly by installing some small application (like the camera or other) and after that install Canola.

If the ecore is not there is because of some dependencie problem and your first re-install / clean up must have been stopped by some odd / not expectable different repository.

What we can guarantee is : on a clean device, or device only with the apps from maemo and maemo extras repository we install canola just perfectly (several times tests in multiple versions etc)

Let me know if this helps

Marcelo

I followed your directions exactly - unfortunately, after doing all of this Canola STILL gives me the exact same same error. Canola was my favorite application for my n800, and if I can't get it running I'm afraid I may just have to reformat the device and start all over again. Any other possible suggestions before I go back to a clean slate?

Vaders, so you have a real "dependencie" mess on your device, that even the cleanup cannot fix : /

If all the threads (they are old) here cannot help you, then we really don't know... format is always the last resort, but for sure if it was CAnola's fault we would like to fix it.

Did you installed or tested some of this : the " iphone like keyboard ", the EDJE demos ? the EFL demos by barbieri or have any " devel " like repository?

Cheers

Marcelo

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
I didn't have any of those applications, but I don't remember the names of all the repositories I had deleted. Fortunately I haven't had the tablet for very long so reformatting won't be too much trouble. I will definitely be more careful about installing applications from now on, and only install the ones I know I will need. Hopefully that will help me avoid this sort of thing in the future. Thanks for the help anyway, I appreciate it.

Hi Vaders,

Don't worry I'm just throwing possibilities but this is a serious issue because the way the application manager is today is not 100% for end users, because it's really easy to mess things up.

Hope you solve your problem, and count on us if you need any other help / guidance etc.

Also : if you have the n810 try before doing that formating the internal memory disk as theres a problem on those devices when they were shipped.

Marcelo

Originally Posted by vaders View Post
I have an n800 running OS2008 that I've had for just a couple weeks. I installed Canola 2 when I first got it and it had been running great up until yesterday. Now when I try to open Canola is says "loading" in the corner and then fails. When I run it in xTerm i get the following message:

File "/usr/bin/canola", line 18, in ?
import ecore
ImportError: No module named ecore

I don't know why it did this but I've been trying to fix it all day, and after looking through forums and web pages for hours I'm at my wit's end. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, using canola cleanup, but still the same error. I assume that something's gone missing but I'm not a master of Linux so any help would be greatly appreciated.
hi,i've got the same problem,and read your thread.

i found that if you install both python2.4 and python2.5 rumtime

the linkfile "python" under /usr/bin points to the file "python2.4" in the same dir.

so, when i change the link-file to "python2.5" with command
#cd /usr/bin
#rm python
#ln -s python2.5 python

#canola
done,i can see the canola launching ,yeah

=================
maybe this can help
FYI

The Following User Says Thank You to HHG For This Useful Post: