Active Topics

Notices

I have added some batch processing functionality to geopoi (see feature request in maemo garage). You can generate databases from the contents of whole directory. If you keep all you .loc files in the same directory and don't delete them, you can add more and generate a new DB from the whole set. This will result in an ever-growing POI database. Not exactly what you were requesting but I guess it's close enough.

Tried to reinstall geopoi after a reflash of 2007HE and I get the following error when I load it from X-Term:

File "/usr/bin/geopoi/, line 16, in <module> import osso
Import Error: No module named osso

I have not the slightest idea how to fix that. It was working fine before reflashing.
TIA

Originally Posted by heertobi View Post
I have added some batch processing functionality to geopoi (see feature request in maemo garage). You can generate databases from the contents of whole directory. If you keep all you .loc files in the same directory and don't delete them, you can add more and generate a new DB from the whole set. This will result in an ever-growing POI database. Not exactly what you were requesting but I guess it's close enough.
Can this same thing be added for gpx files? I have added a feature request to the garage.

GeoPoi v. 0.3.0 is now available for testing here.

Installation: Download the geopoi_0.3.0-1_all.deb using Mozilla browser. Opening the file should open the application manager. Note: Before installation, you need to have python2.5 (including python2.5-hildon, python2.5-gtk2, python2.5-osso, python2.5-xml modules) installed. (Installation instructions for python are here, modules can be installed with apt-get)

GeoPoi 0.3.0 converts files between some common Point of Interest (POI) formats which specify latitude and longitude coordinates as well as some other information about POIs. Specifically, it can
  • read Pocket Queries available from geocaching.com. Both (optionally zipped) gpx and loc formats are supported. It is possible to read individual files or all files in one directory.
  • read and write Comma Separated Value Ascii files (csv) available, e.g. from http://www.gps-waypoints.net. Every line contains one POI. An example of a line: "24.0, 60.0, Some Name, Some Description, Category Number". (Description and Category Number are optional)
  • write POI files in Maemo Mapper database format (.db). Every cache type will have its own category and URLs are put into descriptions (you can copy/paste the URL into your browser). If you open an existing database file, the POIs will be appended to it, otherwise a new POI database file is created.
  • write TomTom navigator .ov2 files. This means that you can export geocache locations or other POIs into your compatible car navigator.
  • write Nokia Landmark Exchange Format (.lmx) Files. You can either save all POIs in one file or separate files (recommended). Then, using File Manager (Send ..) of N8x0 and bluetooth connection you can send the files into your phone.
You can also copy the geopoi (Python) file (from /usr/bin/geopoi) to your desktop computer and run the software on that.

Note: the software is under development and is intended mainly for testing purposes. Use at your own risk. Report bugs you find. In bug reports, run the software from X Terminal shell (/usr/bin/geopoi) and include the output into report.

GeoPoi v. 0.3.3 is now downloadable from extras-dev (chinook) repository

Now you can set in options menu whether you want to show Difficulty and Terrain levels in POI name field. The levels are always shown in description field (when available).

GeoPoi can be used to convert Pocket Queries and loc files (from geocaching.com) and other points of intererest (pois, gps coordinates) in csv format (e.g. gas stations from www.gps-waypoints.net) into formats accepted by Maemo Mapper, some better Nokia phones and TomTom navigators. Note that the pois converted into lmx format can be easily sent to a bluetooth enabled Nokia phone from the File Manager.

You can run geoPoi also in other computers equipped with python2.5 and required modules. Just copy the geopoi file from /usr/bin anywhere you want.

Last edited by eero; 2008-10-01 at 05:16.

GeoPoi v0.3.4 now includes gpxtractor command line utility with gps support. For usage, just type 'gpxtractor' on command prompt.

Example:

gpxtractor -f pq.gpx -r 20 -b geocaches -d -n

processes file pq.gpx and extracts geocaches/waypoints which are closer than 20 km:s from current location and saves then into files geocaches.db (for Maemo Mapper) and geocaches.lmx (for Nokia landmark and map applications)