Active Topics

After 24 hours or so of trying to gain root with a flasher i came across this alternative method.

Directions are here to gain root without a flasher: http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot2

1. Install DropBear SSH Server on the 770 http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
2. Connect the 770 to your wireless lan.
3. From your home computer open a terminal and type root@00.00.00.00 <the ip adress of the 770.
4. It will ask for a password put in rootme .
At this point you should have gained root access to your device. Now, for the future, unless you want to keep SSH-ing from another machine, a clever move is to add "user" to sudoers: echo "user ALL = PASSWD: /bin/su" >> /etc/sudoers
The user account on the 770 doesnt have a password by default so add one.
5. Type in passwd user then type in a password you want to use between 3 and 8 leters or numbers.
6. Now you can gain root on the 770 using xterm by entering sudo su -
7. Xterm asks for a password, enter the password you created for the user account.

All this just to change an icon sheeeeeeeesh!
Sorry I didn't give a description of my system. I'm running 2006.

Last edited by wiredless; 2006-06-17 at 22:02.

Wow..how you figure this out. Sounds a lot safer than going into R&D mode first. One of the reason I didn't want to try to gainroot. Didn't want my display to die like others. Good job...I'm going to try this in a while.

R&D mode is unguilty.

these displays tend to brake when powered on. maybe the chance of a failure
is bigger when you switch the device off/on multiple times without giving it some time to rest.

ps: it always gives me the creeps, when i have to shutdown my 770.

pps:
Originally Posted by http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot

Warning: There have been reports of display failures (white with dim vertical stripes) after disabling rd mode and rebooting a new 770. If you get this, there is a hardware failure in your device and you need to return it and get a replacement -- VilleRanki That failure is probably not related to any software-actions. Displays like the one of the 770 tend to break at powerup. But if yours survived the first 5 or 10 times, it should survive the rest, too. -- BooIiing Mine got the failure after charging the battery overnight It seems that the device is working properly except for the screen, which looks vertically blurred, so I could extract my data from the MMCs via USB prior to before the device to my local dealer, where I got a new one. -- Aswarp 060415

Last edited by sylfan; 2006-06-17 at 17:30.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by wiredless
1. Install DropBear SSH Server on the 770 http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
Which package, the debian?

I assume you download it directly to the Nokia 770 and then installed how specifically? Apologies if it obvious, as I am new to this and keen to learn what sounds to be a simpler way to achieve root access etc.

---edit--- silly me there is an unofficial maemo package https://www.komputika.net/maemo/inde...=&searchMode=f

Last edited by MikeL; 2006-06-17 at 18:27.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I think this works only on IT2006. On IT2005 you need to gain root before you install dropbear. On IT2006 package installation scripts run as root so this is possible. On IT2006 no such scripts are possible and installation runs as user 'install' which cannot gain root too.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Also for IT2006 it is not hard to make dummy installation package that just modifies gainroot script to not to check for R&D mode and allow root everytimes.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Tried to install mameo download on OS 2005 and Nokia 770 stated it could not install as it was already a built in component?

Another thing can this method be run from windows XP cmd line and if so how, as root@.... is not a standard recognised command etc?

Will then it is pretty simple to write a script with the installation package to enable root then. Hopefully someone with those linux and gnome skill going make a installation package soon.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by wiredless
After 24 hours or so of trying to gain root with a flasher i came across this alternative method.!
Wow - congrats! you're the first I've seen post that's done this. Since it wasn't possible to become root with 2005, thank the OS update for that. Sounds as complicated as some of my solutions (BTW, I've flashed my 770 dozens of times so I'd agree with the other poster who said it's not at fault)

A few suggestions:

Now, for the future, unless you want to keep SSH-ing from another machine, a clever move is to add "user" to sudoers: echo "user ALL = PASSWD: /bin/su" >> /etc/sudoers!
I didn't think anybody else did this either - a nice touch as well. Plus a bonus is root's .profile is parsed and you end up in the correct home directory.

I hate this about using xterm - I always have to "cd" and manually execute the .profile.

6. Now you can gain root on the 770 using xterm by entering sudo su -
7. Xterm asks for a password, enter the password you created for the user account.!
Actually, are you sure you're asked the password here? On my 770, "sudo su -" doesn't ask - you're suddenly root.

Which is a real problem, I think - this is a gaping security hole. Now ANYBODY can become root on ANY 770 that has internet access (so why bother with all the gainroot crap then??)

You should at least do "passwd -l root" to protect your system from remote logins. As it stands, everytime you connect to the internet you're risking someone stumbling on your system and gaining root access (granted it's a very low risk but still.... makes me nervous).

all this just to change an icon sheeeeeeeesh!
But you've done far more than that. I think ssh on the 770 is a wonderful thing. Talk about geek bliss.

Brad.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by MikeL
Tried to install mameo download on OS 2005 and Nokia 770 stated it could not install as it was already a built in component?
You can't install it directly on the 770 - you need to download the update on another box and flash it via USB.

Another thing can this method be run from windows XP cmd line and if so how, as root@.... is not a standard recognised command etc?
Yup, I do this every day. Try using putty

Brad.

EDIT: Oops, ok, I don't do it from the command line - putty is not a command line application. You can do it if you install the cygwin stuff, though I really like putty.

Last edited by bradb; 2006-06-17 at 18:55.