Notices

It feels like ages since the Microb browser, based on Firefox 3 alpha (?), was released as part of OS2008.

Does anyone know if Microb is eventually going to get occasional updates or if it's only bundled with OS updates?

Also, one of the most important features for me is cookie (tracking) management. Currently if I let someone check their <grr> msn mail I must allow Microb to accept MS cookies. How can I wipe them right out without clearing all other cookies as well?

Likewise when Gmail complains about no cookies, do I need to start afresh and let all Google cookies in?

On my desktop Firefox extensions like PrefBar and Noscript are invaluable. Can they be ported to Maemo too?

Dolske in the Firefox 3 thread had some info on the microB progress .

There's an early test version available for N810 with great speed improvement, but it's still "pretty early in the process". I wonder if it'll be included in the next minor OS2008 update expected some time in Q2.

Mark Finkle's site has some info and links too.

Last edited by Peet; 2008-04-02 at 10:44.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Cupertino, CA
To be clear: those links are to early builds of XULRunner and Mozilla's mobile browser project, which is still getting started. That effort is unrelated to Nokia's MicroB, although both use a lot of Mozilla code.

You'd have to ask Nokia what their plans are for MicroB updates... I have no idea!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Well, there are some changelogs on garage with some interesting entries (namely some patches related to kinetic scrolling). We should be getting some fairly significant upgrades with Diablo (moving from an early alpha of Gecko 1.9 to one of the new beta releases will net us major performance boosts).

timeless (the MicroB architect) has a "blog" somewhere where he covers GUI designs for a good cookie manager. Not sure if this is something we'll see with Diablo, but it's presumably coming at some point.

Peet, as Dolske said, that page really has nothing at all to do with MicroB.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Portland, OR
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, there are some changelogs on garage with some interesting entries (namely some patches related to kinetic scrolling). We should be getting some fairly significant upgrades with Diablo (moving from an early alpha of Gecko 1.9 to one of the new beta releases will net us major performance boosts).

timeless (the MicroB architect) has a "blog" somewhere where he covers GUI designs for a good cookie manager. Not sure if this is something we'll see with Diablo, but it's presumably coming at some point.

Peet, as Dolske said, that page really has nothing at all to do with MicroB.
So does anyone have a cookie management "workaround" until such time as we see a formal option?

Originally Posted by KeepItFunky View Post
So does anyone have a cookie management "workaround" until such time as we see a formal option?
It is a bit of a kludge but since cookies are stored in ~/.mozilla/microb/cookies.txt, you could edit it by hand (using nano for example). Also you can set cookies to session only, see browser tweak tips in the wiki.

Does anyone know what is going on with the microb and browser-extras teams? Any roadmap regarding features and schedules?

I found what appears to be microb's changelog, but it doesn't really explain much to an ordinary mortal like myself.

Timeless' blog looks to me like a (timeless) soliloquy by a developer.

The browser page @garage.maemo.org looks like it was last updated in 2007.

The browser-extras page doesn't seem much more active and even if there was an easy way to submit requests for browser add-ons or extensions it might not make sense since the original Firefox add-ons generally see frequent updates (esp. wrt. security) and the microb versions would benefit from or even need more timely packaging of updates than is happening at present.

So back to the initial paragraph of this message...