Basically, I just grabbed the box off my front door. About to open it. I already ordered a 16 gig SDHC Class 6 and want some advice on exactly what order of operations I should do from here...

example:
1.Update OS?
2.install memory?
3.most essential programs to install
4.essential media

One last question I have is, I noticed there is not much memory onboard... can I use the SDHC cards as actual install options. Lets say I want to install my sw on the card vs the internal ram, is that possible.

Ok, one last question. I want maps of basically Boston, MA, Orlando, FL and New York City w/buroughs. Is it possible to get those maps installed without logging onto the net.

Thanks!

PS. I am a Linux NUB/noob. This will be my first experience with the OS.

As someone 24 hours ahead of you, unless you already have it in some form (I bought my N800 off ebay, so might not have got all the usual bits and pieces) download the user guide from Nokia's website, and follow its instructions about changing the Lock password to something you definitely won't forget - unlike some mobile devices, the N800 can only be brought back from a forgotten password by a service centre.

But pwd lockout might be more a nightmare of mine than a reasonable fear. (A new N800 will have its pwd set to 12345, I think.)

The Following User Says Thank You to meanwhile For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by sindown View Post
Basically, I just grabbed the box off my front door. About to open it. I already ordered a 16 gig SDHC Class 6 and want some advice on exactly what order of operations I should do from here...

example:
1.Update OS?
2.install memory?
3.most essential programs to install
4.essential media

One last question I have is, I noticed there is not much memory onboard... can I use the SDHC cards as actual install options. Lets say I want to install my sw on the card vs the internal ram, is that possible.

Ok, one last question. I want maps of basically Boston, MA, Orlando, FL and New York City w/buroughs. Is it possible to get those maps installed without logging onto the net.

Thanks!

PS. I am a Linux NUB/noob. This will be my first experience with the OS.
Just send it to me, I'll load it for you and I guarantee I'll get it back to you in four or five years!

Anyways -
Is it new (w/warranty) or refurbed or used?
You should gently break it in regardless.
Charge battery fully
Copy EVERYTHING you can to a backup (PC, SDHC, whatever).
If it's used run a virus scan.
Experiment with the built in programs, for some of us the built in Email is ok, for others it's terrible.

There are several lists on the forum about what peeps think is essential software, we all have different ideas.

Remember it's an INTERNET Tablet so plan on going online with it.
Since you are interested in maps (YEAH!!) download Maemomapper. You can then go on the net and download enough raster maps to fill your media.

If you do not have a BT GPS plan on getting one.

Investigate the threads on booting from MMC
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=15788

Yo'll probably want to reflash and put it all on the SDHC.
Welcome aboard!!
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
If you want to install apps on your sd cards you will need to set your tablet up for dual booting. apps install to where the rootfs is and thats the internal memory by default. I have part 2 of a three part instruction set for dual booting up on my blog for OS 2008

The Following User Says Thank You to schmots For This Useful Post:
I guess I should have noted that, it is a BRAND new n800 from buy.com.

Still havent opened it, because I am work.
So just so I have this right...

Back up, then update the OS and change password?

Yes, this will be my uses of this device. Not listed by importance, but only things I plan on using.

1. Surf the net.
2. View maps (without GPS if possible)
3. View media (music, movies, pdfs/books)
4. Dictionary, spanish-english dict.

**5. Chatting ( I have AIM and Yahoo)

Thats pretty much it.

Any suggestions knowing that info.

Thanks very much for the replies so far. Great community!

Last edited by sindown; 2008-04-04 at 20:52. Reason: **forgot to add the chatting usage.

Maps w/o GPS is possible, I'm doing it. But you'll probably want to get a GPS sooner or later...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Maps w/o GPS is possible, I'm doing it. But you'll probably want to get a GPS sooner or later...
how are you doing. I dont really want the gps, but it is just another item to carry around. Can you explain how you obtained the maps?

Just for future plans, which GPS is usually recommended as far as cost and quick operations?

The Following User Says Thank You to sindown For This Useful Post:
Same way as with GPS. I use Maemo Mapper, and downloaded maps.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
What you really need is the search bar in this forum handy. Almost everything has been covered .....

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
What you really need is the search bar in this forum handy. Almost everything has been covered .....
but we'll cover it again just in case we missed it the first few times.....

Given the stated uses you can be happy with the device but won't need to dual boot or anything drastic like that. You'll eventually move the maps to SD but for now enjoy it. No problem getting maps without GPS.

I agree that a GPS is optional since I usually already know where I am and finding my way is too easy 99% of the time. paper maps work as well as they always have. ...... that being said I bought a GPS receiver (Garmin 10X) just for fun. I haven't done route plans or anything like that since that isn't needed, I plot tracks with it and that is fun. OM Weather now does GPS station which is a blast to see happen, it picks the closest station based on location.

Hint, setup a primary and secondary language so that you can switch easily. Text input is crucial to master in order to get the most out of it.

Multimedia is pretty good too but you'll want to try different apps and combos to find what works best for you. One goal of mine is to run a client that controls and accesses a media server.

There, I'm a NIT newbie myself and have now done my penance for helping a newbie on topics already covered elsewhere on the site. Now I can be cranky the next time it happens.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IcelandDreams For This Useful Post: