Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
This is just a testimony to the durability of my little N800 and a reminder to be careful!

This morning while waiting for my son's school bus, we were tossing a football back and forth. Having totally forgotten that my unprotected IT was in my shirt pocket, I jumped and reached high over my head for one of his passes and my tablet popped from the pocket and bounced on the asphalt pavement below. It landed on its lower right corner and the face plate popped off, the D-button fell free and the stylus was ejected from its slot.

Remembering the youtube video of a guy totally dismantling the IT and putting it back together again, I retrieved the pieces and darted inside to my kitchen table. In just a few minutes I had it back together and it still works fine. The only lasting evidence is a couple of very noticeable scratches on that corner (I was going to attach a pic but my phone can't focus close enough to make a pic useful).

Don't try this at home ... but it's nice to report that our toy isn't very fragile.

DF
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

The Following User Says Thank You to DistantFire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
That is nokia baby. Nokia as far as i know makes the most durable mobile products.

I have dropped (by accident of course) mine twice from a height of about 4 feet onto a tiled floor and my n800 keeps on ticking. Hard to see where it even hit the floor. I have had many electronic gadgets and my sony clie was not so lucky after a similar fall.

I dropped mine also. The face plate some part ways off and the D-pad poped out.

But it snapped back together Ok.

That's why I like the N800 over the N810, the N800 is a metal case, no plastic and it has 2 SDHC slots.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
I dropped mine a couple of times...most recently off my desk onto a tiled floor at a height of about 3 feet. It fell screen side down and it still works just fine. I have noticed what sounds like a little piece of solder that is rolling back and forth inside, but it has caused no problems from what I can tell.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mooler View Post
I have noticed what sounds like a little piece of solder that is rolling back and forth inside, but it has caused no problems from what I can tell.
Rolling doesn't quite fit the description, but it could just be the camera cable flopping around (assuming the noise happens when you shake it).

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
What i mean is that if you hold the n800 with the screen facing you and you tilt it to the left, it sounds like a ball rolling to the left...and when you tilt it to the right, it sounds like the ball is rolling down to the right corner....I cant duplicate the noise right now, so you could be right. Maybe i was just drunk and paranoid Yes there is a definite sound when you shake it, thats always been there.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Madrid, Spain
That's true, Nokia makes very durable devices; I still remember my first phone, Nokia 3310 I think many years ago, it suffered terrible crashes against everything and still with good life after many accidents, even water dropping.

(sorry my English, I'm spanish)

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
The latch of the battery cover also tends to rattle when shaken, and so can the internal SD card latch thingy (the technical term).