Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
My hopes for android are several.

1) More recognition for site developers about the mobile platform.

2) Google death squads for designers that use absolute positioning in the default css styles

3) More choice in the mobile space ( devices, carriers, SDK's ).

4) Cross-pollination.. I'm sure android will bring some new ideas to the table and maybe the best can come to Maemo as well.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
2) Google death squads for designers that use absolute positioning in the default css styles
I hope you don't mean what you just said. Absolute positioning positions things fixed to the browser window, so they don't scroll with the contents; what's wrong with that?

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I hope you don't mean what you just said. Absolute positioning positions things fixed to the browser window, so they don't scroll with the contents; what's wrong with that?
I think you're mixing it with position: fixed

But i'm with you on the usefulness of absolute positioning - very powerful and handy for design. Also absolute positioning is calculated from the last absolute positioned parent, used wisely position: absolute and position: relative can do wonders

You are correct. But they're both good, IMHO.

Yes, but position: fixed is not supported by IE (till 8) so its usefulness is limited

Broken browsers need not be supported as long as it degrades gracefully. Choosing to use something that requires extra care to make sure it works in the face of bugs is not always wise, but isn't bad as long as you do take that care.

But I agree, IE's usefulness is limited.

I hope it is ported to 770 too. Really want to see how well is Android running on limited hardware.

Not well? Too much Java in this one

Not Java, it compiles/transcodes/whatever Java to a different (supposedly better for limited hardware) VM... Not at all sure that that will make things run better on the 770, though.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
But I agree, IE's usefulness is limited.
Man, does css ever expose that as truth!

I'm mostly interested in Android's browser. That is the app that will eventually make or break any of these interesting developments...