Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hi Larry,

I'm going to play around with the scratchbox Live CD this weekend to try and recompile X/Kdrive myself also, but I'm curious about your experience. Once you had it compiled did you make sure you added the second mouse driver to the KDrive startup command? According to everything I've read you should have been able to have both a regular mouse and tslib active using something along these lines:

ARGS="-mouse tslib -mouse mouse -nozap -dpi $DISPLAY_DPI -wr -nolisten tcp"

The reason that it doesn't work/crashes KDrive on the tablets right now is that the "mouse" driver isn't compiled in; I don't know if you looked through the source code before you compiled, but there's definitely something that has this driver disabled from compiling in the default setup (I'd imagine there's an option in the Makefile that's flagged out, but I haven;t looked at it yet); the source for the mouse driver is there, it's just not compiled in.

Thanks,
-Rob

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Hi Larry,

I'm going to play around with the scratchbox Live CD this weekend to try and recompile X/Kdrive myself also, but I'm curious about your experience. Once you had it compiled did you make sure you added the second mouse driver to the KDrive startup command? According to everything I've read you should have been able to have both a regular mouse and tslib active using something along these lines:

ARGS="-mouse tslib -mouse mouse -nozap -dpi $DISPLAY_DPI -wr -nolisten tcp"
Yep, tried that and variations on it. It only uses the first device mentioned IIRC. At one point (OS2006/770) it had code in the start script to automatically add the second pointer device to the command line. This has since been removed for whatever reason to further "disappear" any mouse support.
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
The reason that it doesn't work/crashes KDrive on the tablets right now is that the "mouse" driver isn't compiled in; I don't know if you looked through the source code before you compiled, but there's definitely something that has this driver disabled from compiling in the default setup (I'd imagine there's an option in the Makefile that's flagged out, but I haven;t looked at it yet); the source for the mouse driver is there, it's just not compiled in.

Thanks,
-Rob
I went over the makefiles and compile process rather thoroughly and I watched as it both compiled _and_ linked the mouse drivers into the libraries involved. The thing that confused me entirely was that as mentioned, KDrive ships as part of the X.org distribution by default and either it was designed from day one to only support a single pointer device or they are doing something very subtle to avoid using mice if the KDrive version of X is compiled (Or maybe if tslib is compiled in?). I might add that the crashing seemed to only happen on older versions (OS2006) and seemed to do nothing at all on more recent versions if a mouse was substituted for tslib.

At any rate I went on to place print statements throughout the mouse initialization and event-handling code without a single result. It simply ignored any attempts to use those drivers.

I wish you luck in finding out more. I got pretty discouraged after hitting that brick wall of no driver initialization and gave it up for the moment. It's a fairly complex business figuring out what constitutes KDrive and what makes up X; the differences are there but tricky to find for my humble brain, which is part of what consumed my efforts.

Larry

The Following User Says Thank You to lbattraw For This Useful Post:
So I have been using the Apple Mighty mouse connected by bluetooth to my N800 for a few weeks now. This has been the best hack I have done since I bought the tablet. Its so much more laptop like even though the hack is not perfect, I have learned to live with the quirks or have found some minor work arounds. I highly recommend this to any one looking for a tried and true interface alternative for the amazing tablets. I just hope that mouse support continues to be developed and the kinks worked out or maybe Diablo will be the answer Nokia are you listening?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Allright, here's the new version. You no longer need a .evrouterrc; it makes that on-the-fly (under a different name). If you do have one, it will be included in the created file, so if you use evrouter to rebind keys or touchscreen events, that'll still work.

This probably won't work with two mice hooked up. If it does, only one will work. If someone wants to post patches for multiple mice, that's great, but it's too much hassle for me, and I couldn't test it anyway...

Code:
#!/bin/sh
killall evrouter mouse_poll
rm /tmp/.evrouter\:0.0

for devfile in /dev/input/event*; do
  sudo /bin/chmod a+r $devfile
done 

device="/dev/input/`awk '/^H.*mouse/ {print $NF}' </proc/bus/input/devices`"
if [ "$device" != /dev/input/ ] ; then 
  echo "Device found: $device"
else
  echo "No device found! Aborting."
  exit 1
fi

cat >~/.evrouterrc_auto < ~/.evrouterrc
sed "s/dev/$device/" >~/.evrouterrc_auto << E_O_F
Window ""
"" "dev" any key/272 "XButton/1"
"" "dev" any key/273 "XButton/3"
"" "dev" any key/274 "XButton/2"
"" "dev" any rel/8/1 "XKey/Up"
"" "dev" any rel/8/-1 "XKey/Down"
E_O_F

mouse_poll $device&
evrouter -c ~/.evrouterrc_auto /dev/input/event*&

while [ "x`grep '^H.*mouse' /proc/bus/input/devices`" != x ]; do
  sleep 5
done

killall evrouter mouse_poll
By the way, reason I didn't warn anyone about the unplugging issue: I'm hardly aware of it, because everytime I unplug the mouse, it's to plug it back into my desktop. So I'm leaving the adapter in the N800, and going back and forth. I'll be even more grateful for your (presumed) fix when I get around to buying a little mouse for the N800.

Perhaps this is already discussed, but I notice I can use the mouse buttons individually but not simultaneously. Also I can not drag anything, any way to fix this?

I download the mouse+evrouter and this script. I have my bluetooth mouse working pretty good, other than the problems stated.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought it was all working, is the right click supposed to be working??

The 111 is my right click

EV_KEY 110
ButtonRelease
EV_KEY 110
ButtonPress
EV_KEY 110
ButtonRelease
EV_KEY 110
ButtonPress
EV_KEY 110
ButtonRelease
EV_KEY 110
ButtonPress
EV_KEY 111
EV_KEY 111
EV_KEY 111
EV_KEY 111
EV_KEY 111
EV_KEY 111
EV_KEY 111
EV_KEY 111
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-05-01 at 16:02.

Don't know; dragging works fine for me, but I don't use any chording shortcuts...

One issue I have sometimes, that I've not been able to diagnose, is that sometimes the primary button works by itself, in which case evrouter dumps a second click, and left-click becomes left-double-click. Intermittent, and not enough hassle to figure out what circumstances trigger it.

Since yours seems to be sending different key codes (110-1, instead of 272-4), I don't think evrouter is doing anything helpful. You're just getting the (intermittent) automatic click support.

Also, the currently "supported" way to get mouse support is with jolouis's package. But the script is pretty much the same...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Don't know; dragging works fine for me, but I don't use any chording shortcuts...

One issue I have sometimes, that I've not been able to diagnose, is that sometimes the primary button works by itself, in which case evrouter dumps a second click, and left-click becomes left-double-click. Intermittent, and not enough hassle to figure out what circumstances trigger it.

Since yours seems to be sending different key codes (110-1, instead of 272-4), I don't think evrouter is doing anything helpful. You're just getting the (intermittent) automatic click support.

Also, the currently "supported" way to get mouse support is with jolouis's package. But the script is pretty much the same...

So even if I am using Bluetooth mouse I need to install the USB mouse package?

I did a lot of reading and its not clear to me for bluetooth mouse??

After further looking I see that mouse_poll is the only thing I am running, evrouter is not running at all.

I do a
hcitool scan
hidd --connect 12:12:12:12:12:12

then run mouse_poll, but I cannot seem to make a evrouterrc that works?

OK, went back and did more reading, found usbmouse deb with BT support. Nice Nice

Now I have ALL buttons working along with right click.....

THANKS THANKS THANKS

Along with my Zelda cursor theme, this is freaking awesome

One last thought, Perhaps a new thread is in order. This thread is growing large, and the software is not in the first post of the thread. I imagine because the people getting it working don't own post #1 and cannot edit it.

Its just a pain to find the software. The KDE threads get huge, but I always keep the software links in post #1. So at least you know where to find the software without reading 9 pages of now irrevalent information.

Just my 2 cents!! And Again good work!!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-05-02 at 12:33.

Since upgrading to Diablo my mouse seems to become unresponsive after a couple of minutes use. I first found it happening with my Bluetooth mouse and thought it was my mouse so switched to a wired USB mouse but have had the same problem with that. I have the latest USB mouse package installed. Has anyone else found this?

I'm fixing to install Diablo (the real thing, not the hacked-up version we were using before release) today; once I get that, I'm planning to do some testing on this...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
What? You don't have Diablo installed?! I've been running it for simply ages!

Although I have been disappointed with the touchscreen "improvements"... Maybe my screen is just broken / defective or something...

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-09 at 15:58.

I'm fixing to install Diablo (the real thing, not the hacked-up version we were using before release) today; once I get that, I'm planning to do some testing on this...
Great, thanks.