Hmmm, VNC viewer was the very 1st app I installed on my 770, and it looks (and works) just like every other VNC viewer I have ever used. It oughta work with anything you like...

Is it connecting? The first thing the 770 does apparently is link-up wirelessly with your Wi-Fi, then connects with the IP you gave it.

The only thing I can suggest, assuming you have a good WiFi connection, is that the VNC port(s) are closed somewhere (5900 iirc is one). The maemo vnc viewer should work with any/all VNC servers you might have.

You'll get it to work--it's a trip looking at one of my 1280x1024 desktops perfectly using the 770!!!

p.s. I too am using 0.6 by levinson from the maemo download area--it was easy to install.

Last edited by laserfan; 2007-07-18 at 22:19.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ NYC Metro
I'm running WinVNC (aka Ultr@VNC Win32 Server v1.0.0 RC 18) as my server on my Win XP Pro SP2 home PC. I'm using vncviewer 0.6 on my Nokia 770. When I put in the information for the VNC server on the 770, I have to use the format of "ipaddressort", e.g. "192.168.1.3:1234". I have no issues running it from over the LAN nor over the internet using my cell phone provider. Good luck with it!

Originally Posted by Quackles View Post
At home now.. 'server' is xp pro laptop, no firewall. IP is 192.168.1.3 (lan). Don't know how to ping on it, tried typing ping 192.168.1.3 at xterm and as root, but it said the command wasn't recoginsed. RealVNC on laptop, client is link posted by mfresh. No point asking sysadmin at work, that's me, the one woman IT department Firewall shouldn't be an issue over the LAN, besides, works fine from pc.
Oh wait, in your original message you say you think you have v 0.5. But the author says 0.6 has significant changes. Try that. I use v 0.6

I now think from your error message your 770 is indeed connecting to your VNC server; it's the VNC server rejecting the 770 VNC client.

I also use RealVNC server and I have set only certain IP numbers allowed, have you checked that? Sorry for the obvious question, but you are running RealVNC Server on the laptop? Not just the client?

Ping is included e.g in http://maemo.org/downloads/product/busybox and it works only under the root account, if I remember right. The very first thing is checking connectivity from 770 to the pc. In the aforementioned package there is also telnet, so you can try "telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx p" , where p is the vnc server port number. The connection must not be refused.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Thanks for all the help, folks! Somehow got it working today.. deleted the pairing with the network, recreated it again with a static IP address and it worked. Can't explain why! Just happy that it did

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Here a trick that I just discovered that helped me to connect with RealVNC 4.3.2 running on my pc. I was only unable to connect from my N800, other PC's I could connect from no problem. First I was so frustrated I tried a different version of VNC (tightvnc) and could connect fine. I was still determined to find out why I couldn't connect from the n800 to RealVNC, then in the options menu on the "Legacy" tab I found "Import VNC 3.3 settings". I gave it a try and now everything works!

I hope this is helpful to some of the rest of you!