Active Topics

For anyone low on space, lookup the var/log/wtmp file and check file size:
More on: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=1807

The Following User Says Thank You to tolou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
/var/log/wtmp doesn't exist on my N800 w/OS2008...

in fact, /var/log exists, but is empty.

the /var/log/wtmp file isn't created on newer versions of OS2007 and onwards, however the problem was never as big as it appeared to be. It could look like the file was tens of megabytes big, but because a) it contained _very_ compressable data, and b) it's in a compressed file system, it took very little real space.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Hmm, on my N800 I'm showing 180MB in use, with about 90MB classified as installed apps, audio clips, and documents. So that's half of the device memory unaccounted for. Could it be my growing GPE calendar data?

I tried apt-get clean and it didn't really make a difference. I've also gotten rid of almost all of the media that Nokia put in memory. Are there any other places I can look to clean out?

Try running (in xterm)
Code:
du -s * | sort -n
That shows you the total size of each file or directory in your home directory. If some directory seems to be the large thing, then you can repeat with, supposing it's MyDocs,
Code:
du -s MyDocs/* | sort -n

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
....(Ghostscript, previously required for Xournal;....
Isn't that the case anymore ? Cause when i try to apt-get remove ghostscript it wants to remove xournal as well...

New version of xournal, due in extras (or failing that, in anidel's own repo) by this weekend, no longer has that dependency. Also comes with lots of improvements from upstream.

Originally Posted by suitti View Post
There are things to delete. The sample movies and images. The how-to PDFs for languages other than yours.

Do you know where they are stored? easier to delete a whole directory than click on each one in Application Manager...

They aren't in app mugger, as far as I know. They are in MyDocs/.documents, MyDocs/.videos, or whatever.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2008 @ Cleveland, Ohio
How do I dump my videocenter cache, because that seems to be hoggin up a lot of room for me?

Actually I'd like to dump most of my temp files because I have been getting the 'device memory is full' message.

Last edited by scottls; 2008-07-06 at 13:29.