Active Topics

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Since my attempt at hijacking this skype thread hasn't worked , and since this thread seems much more on topic, maybe I'll try here .

I'd like to buy this iTech Clip IIs headset. Primarily because it's cheap (I can get it for about $30 CDN) & it should do everything I want - reportedly supports AD2P & voice calls & uses ear-buds (I need the ear-buds, I can't stand anything pressing against my earlobes for long periods). Quality for me isn't as important as I suffer from minor hearing loss & can't distinguish a lot of subtle differences anyways. Does anyone have any experience with it? Will I be able to listen to mono music out of both sides until AD2P is officially supported? And will I be able to use it for Skype calls as well? tx
I have an i.Tech, R/S35 I can listen to mono music through the media player etc. I haven't tried it on Skype however.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Will I be able to listen to mono music out of both sides until AD2P is officially supported? And will I be able to use it for Skype calls as well? tx
Depends... According to the website:
"Supports Bluetooth headset, handsfree and A2DP profiles"

As far as I can read, the page indicates that it has support for HSP [bluetooth headset profile] as well as A2DP. If this is indeed the case, you should be able to use the device in HSP mode or A2DP. That being said, HSP is limited to 64kbps mono, so the quality may be lacking, though functional especially if tone detection isn't your strong suit [certainly isn't mine either].

The Following User Says Thank You to azemute For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IcelandDreams View Post
I don't suggest playing with the A2DP hacks unless you are willing to dig deep and put up with the caveats. If you simply want to get stereo over BT then you might be disappointed. Much easier to plugin a cable and it sounds way better anyway. I hope they get this working and hope they have used the work already done by folks around here.
Or get an A2DP transmitting dongle that plugs into the 1/8" jack...

So will a device like the one linked to in the first post ever be supported? (either officially or decently via a hack)

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Or get an A2DP transmitting dongle that plugs into the 1/8" jack...
Without a functioning answer/hangup button for voice calls it would only make a solution for music. To me the N8 is also an iNIT......

Originally Posted by mrlanrat View Post
So will a device like the one linked to in the first post ever be supported? (either officially or decently via a hack)
Ummm, dunno why not; you'll get mono sound out, and mic in, just like any HSP headset.

Originally Posted by IcelandDreams View Post
Without a functioning answer/hangup button for voice calls it would only make a solution for music. To me the N8 is also an iNIT......
I'm gonna have to try this, but I think the mic on a BT headset might work if you have the BT headset connected. I know that when I walk to my car (listening to music via HSP), and plug it into my stereo, the sound switches; but since I've got a 3-pole (TRS) connector instead of 4-pole (TRRS), it'll get the mic signal elsewhere. Could be the N800's mic, but I'd expect the HSP mic. And I know the HSP button works.

Edit: just tested; uses the N800's mic, which may be suboptimal. So if you've got:
  • The N800 placed where the mic can pick up your voice
  • A (stereo-output, 3-conductor) A2DP dongle
  • Some A2DP device to play that
  • And a BT HSP headset tie-wrapped to the steering wheel
then you're good to go.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-04-18 at 00:14.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
I'm gonna have to try this, but I think the mic on a BT headset might work if you have the BT headset connected. I know that when I walk to my car (listening to music via HSP), and plug it into my stereo, the sound switches; but since I've got a 3-pole (TRS) connector instead of 4-pole (TRRS), it'll get the mic signal elsewhere. Could be the N800's mic, but I'd expect the HSP mic. And I know the HSP button works.
Please do try it. HSP works over BT and that's what it is supposed to do. But I've found that some headset's buttons work and others don't.

With a 3-pole jack for sure the onboard mic functions and that works well although it isn't noise canceling. The mic sound is fairly good and with headphones the sound is great.

BT on the other hand, bleh if you want good stereo from any source and handsfree voice calls. This is the hope of diablo or at least my hope for diablo.

So I would like to hear from users what capabilities and quality you can get from a BT transmitter in the AV jack. I'll wager that stereo and handsfree aren't working but I hope I'm wrong.

I'm looking for the functionality (including phone) and sound of the included buds but without the wires. I don't see an option yet.

Ummm, dunno why not; you'll get mono sound out, and mic in, just like any HSP headset.
Well, I would be plugging it in to a 5.1 surround sound system. I'm currently just using the headphone jack, but I would really like to try wireless (also because my laptop would be able to use it) That is why I really do not want mono.

Last edited by mrlanrat; 2008-04-18 at 04:43.