Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Helsinki
I have a n800, and n3100
Now I want to replace last with a device that will work as a modem, and also i can use it as cell phone (calling and sending basic text messages).
The only requirement that it works stable. I dont need any other functions.

Any suggestions?

Now i'm looking at n51 and n6120, but even they are too much for me.
One nice thing i found is: Toshiba g450
http://gizmodo.com/346580/toshiba-g4...s-as-cellphone
but i have no idea will it work with n800, and where to buy it in Finland

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
The Nokias e51 and 6120 classic are very similar phones. I just bought the e51, and am very pleased with it. It works flawlessly with the N810 or N800. and it has decent internet functions of its own. Only drawback, as for all UMTS phones, a data connection drains the battery relatively fast. This is still a limitation of current technology, unfortunately.

From a quick look at the G450, it does not seem that it allows bluetooth connections. That would render it very unpractical with the tablets.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
You will find it hard to find basic phones that offer HSDPA, your best bet is with mid range Nokia devices pretty much guaranteed to work with N8x0, which you will find few that are not s60 which is a smartphone operating system. I believe there are some s40 handsets which offer 3g data 6500 perhaps

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
I agree with Jerome, go for the Nokia 6120. Should be available relatively cheaply, it's not too big (unlike the N95) and will do everything you want.

I use the 6120 and it works well with the N800. The s60 also gives you a lot of options which you may not want just now but may find useful later. The display on the 6120 is excellent for the small physical size and the browser is very good for such a small phone.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
I used the Nokia 6500 classic for a while, very nice, small phone apart from a few niggles. No HSDPA, and lousy battery life and reception. Think there's not enough room in it for a decent aerial
I'm trying to *cough* borrow a 6120 (or even better a 6220) from work, but no luck so far

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Helsinki
ok, thx for advices
few more questions:
1. anyone tried SE K660i with HSDPA in Helsinki/Espoo?
2. Is it possible to make cals and send sms directly from n800? (If it connected to phone via bt)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3...or=&sFreeText=

all phones supposedly with some kind of hsdpa and on market...

I am also looking at the 6120 (I have a Samsung Blackjack now).

But question is the 6120 support HSDPA 2100, HSDPA 850, WCDMA.
But AT&T nework in US is mainly based on HSDPA 850 and 1900 frequency (1900 in most cities).

So will this 3G connection really give me the best speeds with AT&T 3G networks or will it fall back to EDGE speeds if the frequency does not match ?

And so which phones are tuned to AT&T compatible 1900 frequency for HSDPA ?

Any concrete information anywhere ?

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
If the frequencies do not match, the phone will revert back to EDGE, yes. However Nokia makes their phones in different versions according to the market. You may want to check on the Nokia US web site whether they have a US version (of this phone or of other phones) which supports 1900 MHz.

You'll need to check the US web site (http://www.nokiausa.com/). Nokia sites show different phones (sometimes even under the same name) according to the country you select. For example, the N95 US version uses WCDMA 1900 instead of WCDMA 2100 (and has HSDPA). Unfortunately, the Nokia US site is poorly designed: you have to check each phone supporting WCDMA one by one to see what frequencies it supports.