Active Topics

Wimax in my area covers a lot of ground but its stupid expensive to my pockets. WiFi for me is the bomb! I have a 1.5mbit dsl connection at home connected to a Linkys wifi router running the latest dd-wrt firmware and a 24dbi parabolic antenna on the roof and i`m able to send that signal 4 miles away to another linksys router that acts like a repeater at my grandma`s house which blasts the signal even further and guess what ? i`m able to stay connected on my n800 on my way to work without missing a ping! Will be adding another router to provide myself even more coverage P.S both routers are blasting signals at 225 mW Monthly cost of the dsl 50 dollars, two linksys routers 90 dollars, having wifi out in the open on my daily commute priceless :P

Sweet. Flatlands, I guess?

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Could be an AP on the train, uplinked via WiMAX?
You bring up an excellent solution. The train people have been saying that they were going to be testing a WiFi thing on certain trains. Not the one I ride. I did try it out on the Boston - Worcester train. It's called "Commuter Rail" and it's slow.

I grabbed a Topo map and checked out where the NUwave WiMAX antenna is. I see why the NUwave network would come and go, the signal fluctuations are from as the train rises in elevation the signal comes and goes as line of sight to the antenna comes and goes.

That brings up a question. NUwave has a different icon in the Wireless detection window. That's the big reason I thought it was WiMAX. The icon looks like the standard WiFi one with a dot on top.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
NUwave has a different icon in the Wireless detection window. That's the big reason I thought it was WiMAX. The icon looks like the standard WiFi one with a dot on top.
That icon denotes an ad-hoc network, not an access point.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Sweet. Flatlands, I guess?
Yup. not that many building or huge trees on the way. Plus the antenna at home is on top of roof mounted on a 25 foot pole!

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
For most people WiMAX will be a bust. From other threads the Canadian service is pre-WiMAX except for some small WiMAX rollouts, Sprint has delayed their US rollout, and many other CITA devices support both WiMAX and LTE. With both Verizon and AT&T rolling out LTE based networks I don't think you will ever see a serious WiMAX deployment in the US.

I just want to ask if i buy this nikia Wimax tablet will it work in wimax networks in pakistan or in middeleast or not. Is it specific to only sprint network only? is wimax also have standard frequency like wifi or have different standards acording to regions.

Thanks

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Unfortunately WiMAX covers a broad spectrum and there are reginal bands within that range. You will need to find out if the WiMAx range covered by the tablets is compatible with your region.

But it isn't specific to Sprint.

And contrary to brontide's opinion above, if GSM and CDMA can reach their current levels and coexist in the US, then so can LTE and WiMAX. You guys just see what's publicized. There's enough money already put into WiMAX (especially by Intel) that the stakeholders won't give up easily.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-04-27 at 15:58.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
You bring up an excellent solution. The train people have been saying that they were going to be testing a WiFi thing on certain trains. Not the one I ride. I did try it out on the Boston - Worcester train. It's called "Commuter Rail" and it's slow.
Every now and then i travel by Train (TGV) between Paris and Brussels and I use my N800 all way connected to Internet. The train runs at 350 Km/H (225Milles/hour) with Wifi in the cabins and satellite backhaul to internet. It works fine.

Few years ago I worked on a project in HongHong where we used pre-wimax from Alvarion to connect the trains to the stations. The train rolls at 80 km/hour and we could send non-stop CCTV images from the train to the station without interruption without problems (part of security system).

Therefore, I believe that WiMax could be a good means to provide connectivity in Trains, if not directly to terminals (N830-WIMAX), at least as backhaul to a on-board Wifi network.

The Following User Says Thank You to luso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
At work we deploy a WiMAX modem + Wireless Router combo, and I've been fairly impressed with it. It's quick, the coverage is superb [though we only use it in larger cities] and the response is relatively impressive.

The reason I'm so impressed with it, I suppose, is because the quality of our cellular data networks is so bad it's almost comical. When I looked into a dataplan for my cellular phone, it was going to be inordinately expensive... to the degree where it would have been about as expensive to order an American service and bite the bullet on roaming charges for out of country activity. Now, things may have changed slightly since the last time I looked [as it was some time ago, and I may be exaggerating slightly] but the digital-cellular system was only ever half-hearted.

Cellular affinity doesn't seem to have ever been an interest of Canadians I believe, it certainly is interesting to see the leap-frog directly to data.

So far, so good... depending on the N810-Wimax edition's reviews, I may switch over to all-wireless. Guess we'll see. For now, WiMAX at work seems to be working out fairly decently for us.

The Following User Says Thank You to azemute For This Useful Post: