Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
In about an hour I'll be heading over to Tiger Direct to buy an N800. I know it's not really a replacement for my Sony Clie/Palm but it was time for a new PDA and I wanted something extensible and something a bit different. I also wanted WiFi, an MP3 player and didn't want a phone. The N800 is priced better than the PDAs I was looking at and will be able to do quite a bit more so it seems like a good choice.

Thanks to all the people on this forum for the advice I've been reading over the past few days.

Randy

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Awesome! tell us what you think about it.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Are you sure about the PDA part??

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
expecting the unit to be a PDA replacement is a recipe for disappointment. I make do with BT tethering and Gcal, but that's not for everyone.

Sachin is right; if you're expecting a PDA or a direct replacement for your Clie you're in for a shock!

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
i got mine to be used in conjunction with my lifedrive mostly web and communication

welcome to the tablet community. we always welcome more. but as others have said, if you are expecting it to be a pda replacement, you may not know what you're getting yourself into. but i hope that it fulfills your needs and you end up loving it.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
I used to be a C programmer and a Unix tech, and I'm now a data architect (abstract, Hay/Silverston-style enterprise models) so I don't mind fooling around a bit. I did mention in the original post that I realize the N800 is not a replacement for a PDA. I really only use the PDA for phone numbers, meeting reminders, birthday reminders and keeping some notes so I'm hardly sophisticated. That "keep it simple, stupid" mantra is something I follow fairly heavily.

Thanks for the warnings 'though. It's all moot anyways, my local Tiger Direct was out of stock and will not be getting any more. Maybe I'll try another store tomorrow.

Randy

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
" An hour away from an N800"

Thought you already had one and had to go away from it for an hour, was thinking "oh no, poor guy! noone should be forced to do that" :3

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
heh.

I've been trying to convince my supervisors how much more productive I could be, if I were allowed to access the wifi AP with my n800 at work... I don't think they're buying it, though...