Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by txneo View Post
To be fair, they're probably reviewing the N810 WiMax editon, which DOES have a cell phone radio. It really should have covereage EVERYWHERE. No?
Umm... not. That's a customer review, and the N810W isn't available yet. Besides, WiMAX is not fully deployed enough to provide the experience he mentions in all the places he claims to have been-- and the bands will be different, anyway.

What's odd is that I wrote the first N810 review for bestbuy and they failed to publish it. I'm still amazed. I did a great job.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-05-05 at 04:31.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
One more reason to dislike Best Buy.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by obstacles can kill View Post
. . . for those who sign up for WiMax service such as Xohm . . .
Fun fact, Xohm is a PAYG service with terms as short as 24 hours.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Fun fact, Xohm is a PAYG service with terms as short as 24 hours.
that i did not know. thank you for the clarification.

Originally Posted by obstacles can kill View Post
not a chance.

the WiMax edition does not have a cellular radio. yes, the addition of WiMax functionality will extend it's wireless capabilities for those who sign up for WiMax service such as Xohm but no that does not mean that it will have a cellular radio and allow for coverage "everywhere".

besides, i think we all know that this review is just a case of bad marketing and/or a lack of research. i just thought that some may get a chuckle out of it.
Coverage everywhere is not a reality now, or for a while, but it may be at some point; OTOH, it definitely has a cellular radio.

Originally Posted by Underscore View Post
Yes. It seems anything branded Nokia is automatically considered CELL PHONE and anything with "iPod" in it is a MUSIC PLAYER. Music player seems fair for the Touch, though it does so much more; it's certainly not a PDA though. But the n800 is certainly NOT A CELL PHONE. I'd consider the n800 a umpc, though not by default; you kind of have to customize it to actually consider it a umpc.
Exactly, it's very difficult to classify the tablets because they're really a new class of device. They're built around internet services, not native apps, so you can't really call them PDAs, but they aren't really phones either though you can use them with VOIP and connect them through phones.

I think this might be the biggest reason why so few shops stock the tablets compared to Nokia's phones, because shops like everything to fit into nice neat categories.

It's a bit like the way some television networks and retailers tend to classify all animations as children's programmes whether they're intended for children or not.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bristol, UK
On the Nokia site one does have to select 'All Phones' in order to locate the N800 and N810 so not even Nokia are helping their customers understand how to market it.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by siralien View Post
On the Nokia site one does have to select 'All Phones' in order to locate the N800 and N810 so not even Nokia are helping their customers understand how to market it.
That issue was mentioned in an older discussion, and Texrat brought it to the attention of relevant folks within Nokia. Ari Jaaksi's working on it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That issue was mentioned in an older discussion, and Texrat brought it to the attention of relevant folks within Nokia. Ari Jaaksi's working on it.
Well... Ari escalated it. I'm afraid the root cause is embedded deep and wide...

Even Nokia's main european site has the tablets listed under "phones".

They ought to change it to say something like "phones and other devices", give them flexibility for the tablets and any future non-phone gadgets.

I wonder how much they've told their staff about this, one person on the tablet school's youtube channel swore that Nokia support staff had told them the N800 uses a sim card.