Active Topics

OK - I'm sure I just missed this somewhere. If I use an 8GB card to boot from SD, then want to install the KDE (boot from SD).deb on the same card... Will the KDE install eat up all the ext2 space on the card? Or will the new KDE .deb install install in a similar way to the older version i.e. Run KDE from Extra's menu?

Nate

Thanks again Penguinbait.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Natehunderd View Post
OK - I'm sure I just missed this somewhere. If I use an 8GB card to boot from SD, then want to install the KDE (boot from SD).deb on the same card... Will the KDE install eat up all the ext2 space on the card? Or will the new KDE .deb install install in a similar way to the older version i.e. Run KDE from Extra's menu?

Nate

Thanks again Penguinbait.
If you use the 8GB card, and install KDE, your install will be using about 1.3GB with about 5GB left

KDE is still started the same way from the extras menu

Just boot to SD and install the KDE deb
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
What exactly is the problem? You cannot enable it at any size?

You do know this creates a swap partition and enables it, so you do not need to use a swap file, unless you want even more swap?

open xterm, and type

free

it will show you how much swap you have and its usage
ok ta.
I wanted even more swap. And a pony. Onna stick.

Originally I could have more swap, but now it won't let me have any swap (from the UI). But I suppose if it has it, I don't need more.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
ok ta.
I wanted even more swap. And a pony. Onna stick.

Originally I could have more swap, but now it won't let me have any swap (from the UI). But I suppose if it has it, I don't need more.

perhaps there is something wrong with your fat partition, can you put files on it? Is it writable?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I had done this previously with the manual instructions, but had to reflash and messed things up, so I will try this method.

I have an 8GB card and a couple of 1GB cards. I will use a 1GB card as the internal for cloning. I have a probably stupid question. Is there any reason to have the 64MB FAT partition if I have an external card? If I use your deb, can I later manually run fdisk and expand the swap partition to 128MB, leaving out the 64MB FAT partition?

Is there any reason that I couldn't put OS2007 on one 1GB card and OS2008 on another 1GB card and swap out the cards when I wanted to? Will this cause any problems?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Well, after the first time through botching it. (as long as the 2g was in it wouldn't boot .. so it goes) I moved data around an installed it on my 4g.... then suddenly, I heard a familiar voice telling me how to pronounce Linux. I'm running off of the flash without a hitch.

One note it only let me extend memory to 112MB not the full 128 .... seems it does some sort of percentage thing with the available vfat space. Other minors. Nope MicroB doesn't load any faster (rats ) and I noticed that the icons in the control panel doubled in size. Otherwise... so far so good.

wii!

Last edited by linuxrebel; 2008-05-09 at 04:07.

Installing the deb worked just fine the first time through (I cloned an OS2007). Booted from the internal 1GB SD card works fine and things seem a bit snappier.

I am having one problem. Every time I plug in the USB cable, I am told that the internal memory card is in use (it's not). I can access the external card via USB. When I unplug the USB cable, File Manager shows the internal card greyed-out and says it is not installed. If I reboot, things are back to normal. I am currently using the default partitions created by the deb. I still have a 64MB FAT partition.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Melfa, VA, USA
I am having a problem, I have tried downloading to the n800, and downloading to a pc and transfer over, every time I get a message Installation file corrupted. Any ideas?

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
perhaps there is something wrong with your fat partition, can you put files on it? Is it writable?
yep, it is writable, and claims to have 112.1MB in use and 7MB available (I have one 3k file on there, that I just copied over to test it was writable).
Which was the size of the swap I originally had on there (the largest it could be).
It won't let me format it, it says its in use.

I guess I don't get my pony

When I am trying to install install-tools, I am getting a message Unable to install.
I was booting from SD card earlier but I wanted to change my partitions for KDE installation. So I formatted my SD Card.
But now I am not able to install this deb.

Tags
deprecated