I would have been interested in buying a Nokia N810, but it is currently not available in my part of the world (south asia). Could anyone suggest any good alternatives to this?
I am basically looking for a pocket sized linux computer - the packaged application software does not matter too much, but I would like to be able to remove what I don't need.
I currently have a Nokia E90, but I have started losing interest in Symbian ever since I learnt that the OS requires you to give permissions to applications rather than processes. Plus the fact that only symbian can actually give permissions to applications.
I am looking for a device that I will be able to use pretty much in the same way that I use linux on the desktop (with the same level of freedom and flexibility).
Could anyone please give me any suggestions?

While searching,I did come across a project that allows you to remove the built in windows OS on an HP Ipaq and replace it with a Linux variation. Fascinating thought, but all the links seem to be a few years old. Not sure if the project is still active.
I have already gone through sites like tuxmobil.org but I couldnt find anything that is readily or easily available.
Thanks in advance

Zaurus, maybe, but they are expensive...

You could just get an N810 online.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
A new N800 can be purchased for between $200 and $230 online, and a used one on eBay for perhaps $50 less than that. This avoids paying for GPS, which you're probably not using on your desktop anyway :-)

Initially you would be restricted to the on-screen keyboard, but a Bluetooth keyboard could be added.

I don't think you're going to find any cheaper route to a full Linux, especially if you consider 800x480 to be the minimum useful screen size.

You'll probably be interested in the progress of such things as the Ubuntu port to ARM (an article in LinuxDevices, a thread here at ITT).

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
No real (practical) alternatives to the N8xx series yet. A good and bad thing.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
I got my N800 from Amazon. You can by the N810 from Nokia site using the "coupon code” : CHILLCAST (15% discount).

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
You may want to register for the openmoko GTA02. Should soon be available to developpers.

About the Zaurus linux palmtops: I think that their last model has been discontinued over a year ago.

OTOH, if you have big pockets, an ASUS EEEPC may be what you need. Or any one of the palmtop sized PCs which are available for sale in Japan (full PCs running windows, but I am sure some can run Linux as well). Disadvantage: the battery doesn't last very long.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
If you can wait for a few weeks, the MIDs should start to appear - this sort of thing
http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2008/...ernet-devices/

They will run Mobile Linux

But the usual complaint about MIDs: They're not really that pocketable. That's why I think MIDs will be no success.

Neither's the eee, and that's incredibly successful; I think there's enough market in between to pick up some sales.

Not me, though; I'm after N900, or if it's disappointing, Pandora. Pocketability is key for me.

I have my N800 now for a year, and I still use it every day, the most useful gadget I bought in the recent years, do not want to miss it a single day!

Therefore get the real thing, even you have to order from overseas.