Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Northern California
I would like to put together a Linux computer to practice with it in preparation for purchasing a 770. Is there a particular Linux distribution that is better tailored to the Nokia 770 than another?

If you could recommend a decent Internet browser to go along with it, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Well, I jumped straight to Ubuntu 6.06 and I have to say it's the best move I have made OS wise. If you can live without the latest version of flash (Linux flash support is stuck at version 7 at the moment). It's perfect for me for just about everything I want to do. I've been using it recently to do some Maemo application programing for the 770 and a lot of my other work on and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

As for web browsers, take your pick. I find Opera 9 to be the best in Ubuntu as it is a lot faster than Firefox.

Oh, and for all the new Ubuntu users out there, I just recently found an excellent scrolling space shooter game called Chromium. Great fun.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
An intel system running linux will be quite different than using the 770. I am not sure what you want "to practice". But you should checkout maemo.org , and look what applications are available. This is embedded linux!

I agree...Ubuntu is awesome. I personally use the KDE version, Kubuntu.

I started out with plain-jane Debian (I am a masochist ^_^).
It's a challenge for a beginner, but not too crazy. It's a good way to learn your way around Linux, if thats what you want.
It's also a quick and easy way to stand up a server without much fuss.

If you want instant (GUI) usability, then Ubuntu has already been suggested =]

Did you all have any problem with WiFi and Linux?
I could't connect my Linksys USB adapter...

I started out back in the day with Slackware. It's a bit dated compared to more recent distros.

But if you are patient and know your way around hard/software and can figue out the best switches for your CPU then nothing comes close to Gentoo.

Otherwise, as mentioned, Ubuntu is solid.

cAPS

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Doesn't anyone want to make a case for SuSE 10.1?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
Doesn't anyone want to make a case for SuSE 10.1?
SuSE is a great distribution!

But the package manager is rpm-based, while all debian-like distros use apt. IMHO, if you want to "practice" in order to move to the 770, a debian-like distro is the best choice.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Ubuntu + the 770 definately has me loving Debian GNU/Linux more and more every day. It's like returning to Heaven after working in the Hell that is Microsoft at work.
3pm - So good, it's illegal