Active Topics

Notices

What repository is your Xournal installation from? I was having similar problems as you describe with updating Xournal when I was using the author's personal repository. Last month he put a released version over on Maemo.org. Since I uninstalled and installed from the Maemo repository, no more issues. I did not have any of the Canola-related problems you described, though.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil

Is there anyway to identify which id3 version a song is, and which one does Canola use? Because for some songs it won't pick up the artist tag properly (leaves it blank) but other media programs like YouAmp and MediaBox work.
Hi laughing man, Canola actually supports all versions, and this is problematic, thus we can indeed have problems. We don; use the same api as the other players as we want to be faster in the scanning process (and we are) so we need more and more files to test. Can you send some?

But a good update: there was some bugs on this version that are already fixed for beta9. Beta9 is just around the corner

----
...A while ago I installed Xournal but for some reason couldn't get it to update through the app manager. it would download but couldn't install the update for whatever reason and I forgot about it. When I recently ran Canola2 Cleanup, it

I think we have a collision here.
Really weird , we will take a look, but beta9 is already frozen : /

@NSPEER
...I have a 770 with OS2006. ... I don't know what this would have to do with Canola going bad...
Well, Canola may be using some files that were on the disk for the media db and this made a lot of sequential problems happen.

Anyway, here's what's happening:

Oftentimes, when Canola tries to launch, it will go to an endless "updating media library". I have to use a StatusBar app to "kill process" in order to shut down Canola.
So, what this tell us : the scanner is hanging on some file or because of again corrupted disk. While it can be external to canola, of course it can also be from canola... You need to go to media library and try to "filter" down until you find the problem : erase almost all files, leaving just a couple.. see if the problem repeats. Then try adding more files slowly (folders mainly) and then you are going to be able to help us finding out what archive could be hanging Canola. As this can be a boring task, I suggest you to wait for the new version of MLS.

Even with a fresh install of Canola (after using Canola Clean-up), Canola will sporatically run VERY sluggishly. Click a button....wait 5-10 seconds, click a button...wait etc. Many times it will just hang and I have to "kill process" to shut Canola down. Only other processes running are the Google search applet on desktop, simple launcher, and Osso-Statusbar-CPU.
I will not lie to you. We are doing miracle to support the 770 and more the os2006. We are not able to keep the support for it, and unfortunately we are going to drop it, as well as 2007 support quite soon, as they are source of too much problems that we don have man power to solve.
But again, this show something wrong in your device (maybe on the installation, even if it fresh you probably have some old dependency or other lib conflicting), unfortunately is quite complicated to predict what users have installed. Canola clean up only cleans canola stuff, so we cannot fix what other apps could have done in / installed. What we can guarantee to you is, that if you have a CLEAN Device, WITH SWAP enable (VERY VERY important) a good mmc disk, you are not going to have the best performance on playback of videos startup, but the rest will be fairly good for the 220mhz device.

As far as Podcasts go:

After clicking "my feeds" and waiting a long time for the little 'C' shaped animation at the bottom to finish turning, I click a download arrow on the right. Nothing happens for a while. Eventually, a download begins to SLOWLY happen. Then as the download nears 100%, Canola freezes and reboots my 770. Upon reopening Canola, I have to try and download the podcast all over again. If the download does finish w/o a reboot, clicking to listen to download causes the 'C' to spin again, then stop with all zeros displayed for length of podcast and elapsed time. The tablet freezes up and I have to "kill process" with the statusbar app. Sometimes I get a sort of "split screen" effect where a portion of the right side of the Canola screen is duplicated followed by an auto reboot.
When you click on feeds, you are actually updating then. This means: going online, downloading it, parsing it and refreshing the database. This will take time: if you connection is slow, if the website is slow, if you have too much feeds and so on.
Freeze: os2006 doesn have the components we use for the filesystem, etc. So it can happens, but as you say, you probably have some different version of component for this important party.. add this to the fact that filesystem is problematic.. you get the restart.

Starting playback will be really problematic if : you have any different character on the songs/ /file name. Theres a known bug on the DBUS (very old) used on the 2006/2007. This is not fixable. It was fixed on 2008. So.. we cannot help on this. If has something on the name it will not play at all.

I have used cleanup to delete and reinstalled Canola 3-4 times (after I disabled all repositories except Maemo and Maemo Extras as Handful recommended)...still the same problems.
So Neil, I really sorry if I cannot really help you, but we tried to do our best to support a really old, really problematic software on a very low power cpu: / The only thing I can say is.. I have it running, it does have problems on my 770 but they are a lot less than yours. I know it sucks, but if do a clean install, enable swap, install mplayer, force mplayer to play even music.. it maybe a little better, but it still can take ages to start playback of a music (sometimes it took 3 minutes on beta7 etc..) so lot of people thought it was frozen.

I hope this helps at least a little bit...

@Ilia
two days ago, Canola died. I <u> did <u> install software (4 games: tower toppler, enigma, air strike and tyrian). However I'm not certain when exactly Canola died. When I launch it, it says loading, then, without changing the display, closes.
Since I use development repositories, can you give me the entire list of Canola's dependencies, so I uninstall them manually in RedPill mode, then reinstall a clean Canola?
Hi Ilia, please search the forum. For a unninstall of all dependencies that you would do by hand, there canola-cleanup (it exactly what it does)

BR

@HAL
Marcelo,
This is essentially a repost of a previous post I made in this thread, but I feel like it is warranted as I feel I am correct in my thoughts on the problem. The first time I posted I wasn't positive the issue was related to Canola. Today I am confident of exactly what I did.

I charged the N800 overnight. Unplugged it and got in the car. I played mp3s/wma's for about an hour. I paused the music and brought the N800 inside. When I got back to the N800 four hours later, I was at 23% battery left. I got another hour of playing mp3s before I got the low battery warning. This has happened a couple of times when I have paused music, but I was never confident that I was in offline mode, or that leaving it in a 90 degree car wouldn't have an effect on it. Today I am sure I was in offline mode, and the N800 was in a air condtitioned place the entire time. I had no other applications running today.

When I play podcasts, which is what I do most days, the battery lasts all day. 45 minutes of podcasts, pause for 4 hours, 30 minutes of podcasts, pause for 4 hours, 45 minutes of podcasts, pause for a few hours, download podcasts for tomorrow, all without a low battery warning.

Thanks for listening,
hal
HAL : do you have mplayer installed? We can test it here, but we also do you Canola for music playback( ) and we didn faced this.. but as you pointed out some reproduceable steps, we will take a look.

What funny : podcasts are mp3 files. When you play them it the same player screen. Really the same! there no difference between playing a mp3 podcast and a mp3 music : / Maybe we need to investigate the last.fm plugin or some other small thing : /

@Hcel
Not yet ; / we are really overloaded, and we are frozen for beta9 already.

@tuco
thanks for the info,. this shows that maybe it not related straight to the Xjournal but maybe to some other application that also collides with Xjournal and Canola.
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Wow...that was a lot of answers...

I do have mplayer (.26) installed. I also have the last.fm plugin installed, which I have never used and the youtube plugin, which I like very much.

I know the podcasts are also mp3s, and agree my theory doesn't make a lot of sense because of that, but it has happened to me too many times to discount.

Thanks for all the hardwork. I think Canola is a great app for the N800, and it is the app I use the most. For now I will just shut Canola down when I am pausing music for the day.

-hal

Hello. At the top of this thread, Marcello said to "configure your time on the correct time zone." What is the correct time zone? I have my n800 set to Los Angeles, Ca time. When I try to login to last.fm using canola, I always get the error: "Login error: Your system time is not" (the rest of the message is cut off)

What is the work-around for this?

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hal: yes, indeed looks like a problem, :/ and it's always trick to debug those more mysterious ones

Sam: we will deploy a new version of the plugin "ignoring" this part of the last.fm protocol. Some users said that they set the hour to their hometown and worked, but seems that for your is not ok :/ can you try other time zone near by? or maybe your isp's HQ timezone?

Br

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

i have read some threads about canola not starting, i even tried symlinking a file that fixed a similar issue for some users, but that only seemed to add another error when running with the -vv flag.
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/canola", line 19, in <module>
   import ecore.evas
 File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ecore/evas/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
ImportError: libeet.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I'm only slightly more knowledgeable than the average bear in regards to *nix OSes but I'm pretty sure the last error is saying the file i symlinked to isn't there, but the others I can't make heads nor tails of.
I have uninstalled it and ran cleanup & even reflashed to no avail.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I read all the posts I saw in regards to the app not starting and didn't find one that applied to me.

bhang

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'll explain again:

The error you see is caused by a newer libeet0 (v. 1.0.0-maemo1 from Testing Maemo Extras) than the one Canola uses - libeet0 (v. 0.9.10.042-maemo2 from the normal Maemo-extras).

All you need to do is:

1. Install becomeroot if you didn't already.
2. Run xterm
3. Run
Code:
sudo gainroot
4. Run
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libeet.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libeet.so.0
That's all, it won't get any clear than that. Report any errors if you get them.

P.S. - There is a different approach -

1. Run Canola Cleaner
2. Remove Testnig Maemo Extras from app manager
3. Install Canola
4. Do not add Testing Maemo Extras in app manager.

That of course will stop you from installing anymore software from the Testing repo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handful View Post
can you try other time zone near by? or maybe your isp's HQ timezone?

Br

Marcelo

I changed the time zone to Brasilia, Brazil (closest I could find to Recife) -- and now it works!!

Who'd have thunk it? My system time is now 4 time zones away from mine, but I can live with that for the time being.

Thanks,
Sam

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I'll explain again:

The error you see is caused by a newer libeet0 (v. 1.0.0-maemo1 from Testing Maemo Extras) than the one Canola uses - libeet0 (v. 0.9.10.042-maemo2 from the normal Maemo-extras).

All you need to do is:

1. Install becomeroot if you didn't already.
2. Run xterm
3. Run
Code:
sudo gainroot
4. Run
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libeet.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libeet.so.0
That's all, it won't get any clear than that. Report any errors if you get them.

P.S. - There is a different approach -

1. Run Canola Cleaner
2. Remove Testnig Maemo Extras from app manager
3. Install Canola
4. Do not add Testing Maemo Extras in app manager.

That of course will stop you from installing anymore software from the Testing repo.

I tried that once already, maybe I mistyped something but it added this error at the botom of the code tags in my last post...

ImportError: libeet.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I keep trying, Im sure its user error on my end I just don't know what it is...

bhang

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Okay, what error do you get when trying to create the symlink?