Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I am using this bluetooth on/off application:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/switchonbt/

It works really well. Because it's a dbus script, I *guess* it should be possible to add it to your application easily?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
It works really well. Because it's a dbus script, I *guess* it should be possible to add it to your application easily?
This is what you want: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=148283

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
It could be cool to combine bluetooth management as well, but I'm really starting to worry about feature creep taking a good applet and making it into a bloated mess. Therefore, I've decided to limit my focus on this applet to only sound and display related features, at least until someone comes up with a revolutionary idea that involves something else, or else enough people complain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm_you For This Useful Post:
Agreed there.

One nice feature (perhaps still creeping, but in the sound/display area) would be control of which output device? There are three generally available outputs; speakers, 1/8" jack, and BT (HSP; I'm not worried about A2DP...).

The ability to switch between these (overriding the default precedence) would be cool. It might also work around the buggy FM Radio. What do you think?

Suggested interface: Below the two sliders, add a row of 3 or 4 radio buttons.

Edit: And you wouldn't have to redo the icons!

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-16 at 02:16.

Originally Posted by rm_you View Post
It could be cool to combine bluetooth management as well, but I'm really starting to worry about feature creep taking a good applet and making it into a bloated mess. Therefore, I've decided to limit my focus on this applet to only sound and display related features, at least until someone comes up with a revolutionary idea that involves something else, or else enough people complain.
Well, feature bloat and the fact that I'd have to redo my icon . . . and you know that's completely and totally unacceptable. Besides, it's not like anybody can actually figure out how to work the BT/WiFi interfaces. . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
the bluetooth & wifi control applets and the power button are badly thought out.

Why does the wifi applet not offer an offline option?
Why can't the power button control bluetooth?
Why does the bluetooth applet not offer an on/off, and disappear when you turn bluetooth off?!

I guess a different app which unified these would be good?

Updated to 0.9, see first post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
This latest update looks amazing; can't wait to try it out! Thank you! I'm going to have to download LCARS again now .

Last edited by Underscore; 2008-06-07 at 01:55.

A few questions. When installing a new version, should I first uninstall the previous version?

Is there a way to incorporate a defeat for the low light backlight brightness? A fancy way would be to add a third slider that sets the low light value. One could then set it 'anywhere' including equal brightness to the normal setting.

Finally a general question. Should one generally remove old versions of apps before installing new ones? What about associated files that got installed before? Does uninstall remove everything that was installed with the app? Thanks.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
no need to uninstall, but you should reboot to make sure the correct version is loaded.

btw, it seems that the extras repo has a signing issue again, and app manager is not giving the correct error when that happens (it claims that what the user is attempting to install have dependencies that would overwrite the deps of some other package?!), so one either has to go red pill or apt-get as root...

anyways, it seems to set the brightness a bit higher on my N800 then the old version did, but that could be placebo for all i know.

and now that we have a settings dialog, how silly of me would it be to ask for a user tunable light dialog? as in, a option to turn on something similar to the default light blacklight adjustment dialog, but with stepping sizes that can be set by the user?

or would that be overkill now that we can use the directional pad to control it all?

reason is that i find myself using some 3-4 settings anyways, not the 250 or so that one can currently do with the advanced one...

Last edited by tso; 2008-06-07 at 12:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post: