Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Eastern U.S.A.
Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Can you explain what you mean by that please?
I'm guessing that is probably a reference to the lawsuit over GPL adherence with Monsoon's use of the BusyBox code, though that suit has been dismissed.

Finaly got my HAVA Platinum yesterday. Install was easy on both the PC and the N810. Be aware that the shipment came with all the cables and software packed in a HAVA Gold box. I call Monsoon and we went thru the contents of the box. All part were present , but they had packed it in a Gold box. Their BAD. The only remote places I have been able to check the N810 out was at the local airport and a airshow about 50 miles away. WiFi bandwith seemed to be limited to about 200k at both locations. Program connected and played as long as I did not go into fullscreen mode or change channels. (signal strentgh seem to adversely affect bandwith) The player will freeze up if signal strength drops. On the local lan the PC connects at 4 to 6 mb. The N810 connects at 300-400+ kb.
Next project is setting up the XP Media Center. By the way does anybody want to buy a Slingbox HD Pro ?

Originally Posted by pa28pilot View Post
I'm guessing that is probably a reference to the lawsuit over GPL adherence with Monsoon's use of the BusyBox code, though that suit has been dismissed.
check out the forums at myhava.com before you buy one to see what sort of issues people are having. the customer service has been up and down and their products are mostly works in progress. so for that, I couldn;t whole heartedly recommend them. I have both a Hava and a slingbox and the slingbox worked better out of the box.

even though the Hava units are superior in feature set and technology, there is a reason slingbox leads the market. however, they haven;t had much innovation lately.

well w/ this Nokia client, I think Hava has come a long way now and look forward to better things to come from them.

I have a Platinum HD and Nokia 770--a couple comments just FYI:

1. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned having their Tivo S3 connected via Component. I've found that the Tivo does a better job down-converting the HD to SD than the Hava, so I've connected my S3 using S-Video instead. This also avoids potential problems with the Hava's tiny component plug/jack.

2. I guess my 770 will never work directly w/Hava but I think that Orb can be made to work too, though much less elegantly.

p.s. I disagree w/madman999 that "their products are mostly works in progress". I got my Platinum HD last summer and it worked perfectly out-of-the-box and 24/7 in all these months. I never even think about it anymore, it just works & works well. YMMV.

Last edited by laserfan; 2008-05-19 at 14:14.

just for fun, I loaded the Hava Beta on an N770 w/ 2008HE. installed without any complaints or problem.

However, connecting to my Hava from over the internet, it looked like it connected and got a promising message that it was "buffering" but failed to do anything after that.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Got the Platinum today and so far we're off to a very weak start. Initially tried setup under Vista in VMWare on a MacBook Pro, but I couldn't get through the setup because the Video Preview failed (why, pray tell, do you require a video preview to setup the device?). Tried XP (also under VMWare) this time, same result. Played with older versions (was recommended on the HAVA forums as a potential solution), same result.

Next step, reinstalling XP in BootCamp on the MacBook (had removed it previously since I have no need of a Windows install). Result? The same.

Nonsense so far, they really should've just provided a web interface for setup or something. :\

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
I had the same issue with trying it under Parallels. I suspect that what's happening is that the VM can't handle the video buffer that's being displayed. Regardless, once I got a Windows laptop to do the setup, then it all worked, and I can use Parallels to run the client to watch the video

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following User Says Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
I have had pretty good luck with the Hava beta. I bought a Hava Platinum when the beta program was announced. It came on May 8th and I got the software the following day. It's too bad that it has to be configured using Windows, but I dual-booted my laptop into WIndows and configured the Hava and then loaded the Nokia client.

A found a few bugs/problems almost immediately and emailed Hava only to find out that 3 of the four problems I found had already been reported. They fourth was rather trivial (requiring a reboot after installation) in that it only seems to happen when Hava is first installed.

So far, the Hava client has been very usable with a WiFi connection. When the bandwidth drops below a certain threshold. the video freezes and never recovers. This is one of the known bugs that they are working on. I look forward to the next Nokia beta, but I am confident that this will be a fine product.

An added benefit to the Hava is that is had rudimentary support for VLC via an RTSP:// interface. This is the first such device that I can access from various PCs in the house with Linux.

All in all, I'm happy with my Hava and look forward to further improvements from Monsoon. I don't see how a "general-purpose" LInux client can be far behind. It seems to me that it should be easier to make a client for Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE, etc. than it is to make a client for maemo. I also have a Mac notebook, so I'm also hoping for a Mac client in the near future.

Oh, BTW, I'm also a Slingbox owner. I'm actually happier with the Hava because it has better support for Linux than the Slingbox does. I have yet to try the Mac Slingbox client.

Just my $.02,

Gary Walborn
gwalborn@gmail.com

Has anyone got this to work in a VM? Just wondering, as the video card drivers are very lacking for vm, and not the current direct X, im wondering if thats the problem.

Originally Posted by birneyw View Post
Has anyone got this to work in a VM? Just wondering, as the video card drivers are very lacking for vm, and not the current direct X, im wondering if thats the problem.
i;d think it would require accelerated video drivers to work too.

the hava client modifies your windows by installing it;s own video and network drivers. that might be the cause of some issues or not. it;s not a standalone app.

Tags
hava, video hava