Hi. My Nokia N800 seems to have a real bad battery drain and I can't figure out why. It drains real fast when using wifi. This I can kind of understand, so I have tried putting the N800 in offline mode and locking the keys and screen. Even after doing that, if I turn the N800 back on after a few hours, It show a very depleated battery, at best, and sometimes it just will not turn back on unless I charge it up again. I have never had any device come this close to real bad battery drain, and that includes the Nokia N95 phone and a apple ipod touch.

Does anyone have the same type of battery problems or any possible solutions for this?
Please let me know,
Thanks.

Do you have a memory card installed inside the battery compartment? Are you using it for virtual memory?

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
check your wifi settings in control panel. I set my search interval to NEVER + Wlan idle time to 60 minutes or some limited time & find that helps some. Otherwise the Nokia has pretty good power saving for WiFi.

You could also install something like Conky (search forums for info) that would tell you top 3 running processes.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Using top would be more convienent (and better) than conky. + it comes with the device.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Are you using some software that updates automatically, like OMWeather, GRNotify, RSS Reader home applet? GRNotify default update interval is set to 1 minute, so its kinda too often. RSS home applet tends to take a LOT of CPU time and fails to update if its cache files are broken.

I had the same problem once. The problem was that the SD card was broken. After releasing it, the tablet worked fine again.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I am using two memory cards. One is in the internal compartment (4GB), and the other is in the external slot (2GB). I do have it set to use virtual memory. Does this drain the battery more then not using virtual memory ??
Also, I am not running any processor intensive apps on startup. I do use Wifi when I use the web browser, but I go to offline mode when I finish browsing.

I had this problem when i upgraded to OS2008. Discovered it was the meta-crawler bug. For some reason people on the forum acted like it didn't exist.

I read up on threads like this : http://tinyurl.com/48slv8

it solved my problem only sacrificing the ability for media player from indexing my SD cards, which I don't care about.

Hope that helps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gigabites For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
There are numerous threads on this problem here... However, he said that it drains the battery only when wifi is running.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
There are numerous threads on this problem here... However, he said that it drains the battery only when wifi is running.
Looks like the battery is draining faster with WiFi on, but also when offline mode:

It drains real fast when using wifi. This I can kind of understand, so I have tried putting the N800 in offline mode and locking the keys and screen. Even after doing that, if I turn the N800 back on after a few hours, It show a very depleated battery, at best, and sometimes it just will not turn back on unless I charge it up again.
wierd..