Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
No, actually, I don't.

I just have to recognize what it is they are or aren't doing when I choose where I spend my money. I don't have to care one way nor the other about why they do anything at all. If they aren't doing what I want, then they wont get my money. Period. "Why Apple is doing this" doesn't enter into the equation at all.
That's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. Sorry if I offended you.

I should've said that I think I understand why they do it that way. Allowing use of an iphone without activation would make the ipod touch obselete.

Just like the iPhone 1st gen -- my guess is you won't really be able to use the other features (legally) if you don't activate it.

Just like the iPhone 1st gen -- my guess is you won't really be able to use the other features (legally) if you don't activate it.
I just don't understand how the USA puts up with its network operators, they treat their customers like dirt. You wouldn't get away with that in other countries.

No wonder Americans are so keen on alternative wireless standards...

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
The iPhone itself is a great device either in capabilities and aestetichally.
What I do not like about the iPhone is the company behind it.

Almost all of the features will be crippled. No free VoIP over HSDPA. No way to use it as a bluetooth modem. Probably new apps only thru the App Store (i.e. either you or the developer has to pay). If I am a developer I have to pay 99$ to develop for it (and test it on a real hardware).
Don't want to think about the AGPS functionalities. The first AGPS device I owned that had AGPS was the Moto A925 and the AGPS was limited to signed Java applications (i.e. pay).

I don't know why I want one, then!

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Originally Posted by sleepkyng View Post
200 for super slick and inuitive device

375 for nerd device that sometimes works and doesn't have phone capabilities.

YOU MAKE THE CALL :lol:
I did make the call, everyday, from my 'nerd device'. I'm not going to read all the posts in yet another jesusPhone thread.

have fun lemmings, all the more for me.....

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Except (as far as I can tell) it ISN'T $199, it's $199 plus the cost of the contract which takes it into four figures.

Some contracts let you have a smartphone for $0, is that an amazing price point?
But to look at it objectively for the NIT to work as effectively as a iPhone 3G (and I am concentrating on 3G data connectivity rather than the call aspects)
you would have to pay

$400 for N810 (I am comparing apples with apples considering the GPS function and not with the N800)
plus
the 4 figure contract for a $0 phone (taking your argument here) to get the same 3G functionality.

as against a $200 iPhone and a 4 figure contract for service.

Now which one seems more attarctive price-performance wise ?

Lets face it, the price point of the new iPhone 2 has created a new barrier for all others to match up to (or break).

Here we go again. $200 is a very tempting price and the GUI is fantastic. But let me know when I can listen to internet radio,surf without having to use the zoom feature and use Skype and I may be interested,

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Lets face it, the price point of the new iPhone 2 has created a new barrier for all others to match up to (or break).
Lets face it, the price point of the new iPhone 2 is only attractive if it has the features you want.

I'd still rather pay $400 for an N810 than $200 for an iPhone 2.

It's not a "new barrier" for all others to match, unless there's feature parity. And there isn't. The iPhone 2 is still lacking.

In the US we can put our SIM card into any phone for some networks like AT&T, cingular, T-mobile, but some networks use a custom system, like Sprint for example.

Some phones you get are locked, but most carriers that I am aware of will unlock it if you ask them to, and locking is some what of an theft protection.

I have an unlocked iphone (I use it with prepaid t-mobile, I pay $25 a year) but it sucks, especially because it's a longer process to upgrade to the latest firmware, and there is always risk of bricking it. Most of the people that I know that were modifying their iphone for the extra apps ended up restoring it and not bothering to do it.

There was a point when I was interested in developing for it but it was such a huge hassle to setup a development environment outside of having a mac that I gave up.

The iphone really isn't for me because of the way apple is, and it also isn't for my parents or my brother, none of them have shown any interest, and all of them are fine with their carriers. Only people that I know who are more tech savvy have already bought an iphone, but even some of them are not interested, and some of them are even a little pissed because they paid more for their phones and now have to deal with an old iphone that has to be sold really cheap.

Also note, Sprint has $30 a month plan with unlimited internet, and with the right phone you can tether it.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-...&keyword1=SERO

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...highlight=SERO