Notices

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Thank you for figuring out gpe-summary and alarms. Very nice!

I had emailed Graham once before about fixing the Sunday/Monday issue. His response was "file a bug" (which I think I did), but it never got fixed. In case anybody is interested in recompiling gpe-calendar on their own with my fixes, here's a "diff" of my changes to "main.c".

Code:
diff main.c ../original/gpe-calendar-2.8+maemo+svn20080509-1/main.c
165c165
< gboolean week_starts_sunday = 1;
---
> gboolean week_starts_sunday;
1424c1424
< static gboolean
---
> static void
1432d1431
<   return 1;
2248c2247
<                     G_CALLBACK (gpe_cal_exit), NULL);
---
>                     G_CALLBACK (gpe_cal_iconify), NULL);
To build it in scratchbox, I pretty much followed the instructions in this discussion thread. (However, I used the experimental repository I listed above.)

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Here is an update on my patch:

Graham contacted me and asked for permission to put my email with the patch on the GPE mailing list for discussion, which I granted. There has been a few replies so far, most seem positive. The only concern that has been brought up is whether this will negatively effect battery life, as home plugins don't have the best track record in this area - especially ones that monitor or actively update.

There has also been talk about getting rid of the "iconify on close" feature with this patch implemented, which has also been well received. Graham suggested making this change conditional on having GPE Summary running - thus if summary is running it will "close on close" and if summary is not running it will "iconify on close".

I am going to take a look at a couple more outstanding bugs/requests to see if there is anything I can do about them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
I am going to take a look at a couple more outstanding bugs/requests to see if there is anything I can do about them.
Here is why open source with an active development community rocks! I'd like to extend my thanks to you and everyone else who contributes this way. My coding skills are so poor I wouldn't think of tearing into someone elses code or putting my work in the public domain, so I appreciate everyone who can, especially on really useful projects like GPE improvement, where there seems to be such a glaring need in the community! I haven't tried out the patched version of GPE yet, but I agree with the annoyances reported in this thread and look forward to trying it out. Thanks for your effort!

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I just want to be clear. I notice the .deb on the first post is 20080509 but the repository has 20080604. I assume the repository version is the the good one to use? As well, does the repository version of GPE Summary have fiferboy's patch? And lastly, are there any issues with using your updated versions of the rest of the suite?

TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
grog: The repo version is a recent build against development SVN. The change file for this version (of gpesummary) states the change as "MUD build using revision {20080604}"

I looked at the source, and my patch has not been included yet (I didn't expect it to, as there has not been an acceptance on the mailing list or bugzilla entry). My patch should apply cleanly to this version, since gpesummary.c has not changed, as far as I can see.

I don't see any real advantage to upgrading the the packages in the repo (unless I am missing something that was changed) but there has not really been much SVN activity on the project in the last few months. I can provide a patched version of the latest (20080604) if requested.

I have not come across any issues created by my patch, but I do not use the entire suite very much. Please let me know if you come across anything suspicious you believe to be caused by my fix.

re: 20080604: Thanks fiferboy. No need to rebuild unless you see the need for it. I now notice that terrencegf hasn't included his own patch in the repository packages either. I upgraded everything & haven't encountered any problems yet, but of course I'll have to reload both patched deb's to see if they still work with the rest of it updated. Otherwise I'll just turf everything & reinstall. TX
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Originally Posted by grog View Post
re: 20080604: Thanks fiferboy. No need to rebuild unless you see the need for it. I now notice that terrencegf hasn't included his own patch in the repository packages either. I upgraded everything & haven't encountered any problems yet, but of course I'll have to reload both patched deb's to see if they still work with the rest of it updated. Otherwise I'll just turf everything & reinstall. TX
I upgraded to the current packages in terrencegf's repository (20080604) then 'downgraded' to the currently rebuilds that terrencegf & fiferboy have linked to this thread (20080509) & everything seems to be working good so far. Thanks very much for the help! Good work & keep it up .

terrencegf & fiferboy, thanks so much for taking on the challenge of improving GPE. Alarms from the summary work perfectly and the month view now shows the weeks starting on Sunday. But (there's always a but), the week view shows the week starting on Wednesday. Any ideas what's up?

just a little note: first day of the week should be decided by locale, not hardcoded.

i know there are little problems with date/time settings in maemo, but these things should use locale (and/or systemwide settings, or as temporary hack app settings), not hardcoded values.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyartep For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hyartep View Post
just a little note: first day of the week should be decided by locale, not hardcoded.

i know there are little problems with date/time settings in maemo, but these things should use locale (and/or systemwide settings, or as temporary hack app settings), not hardcoded values.
Agreed. It could be a configuration option.

Frank