Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by mrlanrat View Post
So any news on the new updated version?
No news yet... but I do want to thank you for the reminder. It did inspire me to do some more work on the program. I hope to release a new version with some of the requested updates this weekend.

Thanks for Grandcentral Dialer, z2n! I see that brontide conceptualized wget's role in March, thanks!

I couldn't wait to try it on my 770, so instead of installing microb I used my desktop to browse to http://www.grandcentral.com/mobile/messages to have it set the Firefox cookie. wget docs say Netscape and Mozilla cookies are wget compatible too. Then I placed the resulting cookies.txt file on my 770...

/home/user/.mozilla/microb/cookies.txt

The cookie will last about 10 months. Grandcentral Dialer performed!

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
Ok, so a few things I'm a bit confused about. Will you only be able to use this in a wifi hotspot or if you have internet access? and another thing, I can't seem to make an account with grandcentral.

Originally Posted by freekyfrogy View Post
Ok, so a few things I'm a bit confused about. Will you only be able to use this in a wifi hotspot or if you have internet access? and another thing, I can't seem to make an account with grandcentral.
Currently, you can't get a Grandcentral account. It's in closed beta. You have to get an invite.

Anyone got an invite they could toss my way?

They took away our invites. If you want a GC account you gotta request one from the main website.

Also yes, you can only use this when you have internet access.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
If I can only use this with internet access, then what makes this better than simply using skype for calls? Or would this allow incoming calls as well. I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole thing. I don't even have a tablet yet =P I'm hoping to get one within the next week though.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Grandcentral, paired with gizmo, allows for completely free incoming and outgoing calls with your tablet if you have wifi. Skype requires you to pay for calls to/from landlines/mobiles. However, this application just makes it easier to make outgoing calls using grandcentral.

I am noticing (for the first time today) that when I use the dialer to place a call and I answer on the tablet, I don't hear the ringing unless the volume is adjusted almost to the max. One level lower and for some reason the ringing does not work, anyone else notice this?

I should probably add that using grandcentral's website doesn't create this problem for me. Also, and I believe this is already noted earlier, the DTMF options don't work if a call is initiated by the gc dialer. Again, that's no problem if done through the grandcentral.com page.

Last edited by paps; 2008-06-13 at 16:59.

Originally Posted by paps View Post
I am noticing (for the first time today) that when I use the dialer to place a call and I answer on the tablet, I don't hear the ringing unless the volume is adjusted almost to the max. One level lower and for some reason the ringing does not work, anyone else notice this?

I should probably add that using grandcentral's website doesn't create this problem for me. Also, and I believe this is already noted earlier, the DTMF options don't work if a call is initiated by the gc dialer. Again, that's no problem if done through the grandcentral.com page.
I have noticed the same.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
What I observed is that no audio is present unless you adjust the volume once. Doesn't matter which way, it just needs to be adjusted. Haven't tested a call made through the grandcentral website, but this happens for me for calls initiated from gc dialer, and from incoming calls to my grandcentral number.