Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Is that step 4?
Yes, the N900 is shipping with Windows Mobile.

"This is your new Nokia N900 Internet Tablet running Windows Mobile 6. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological uniqueness will be added to Texrat's. Resistance is futile."

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I beg your pardon!

Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I disagree, there are nice things that apple does but it just isn't that great. iTunes is terrible, I have accidentally bought the same song twice and it didn't even know I had purchased it previously it just renamed the new one with a "(2)" at the end, even Amazon MP3 tells me if I own a song or not. iTunes does nothing for organizing media across several computers, and is terrible when you have to sync music to devices from multiple computers, wiping out music and videos if you are not careful.
If those are the worst things you can come up with, than Apple is doing a great job. As far as the syncing issues, syncing is HARD, and nobody (including Palm & Blackberry) gets it perfect.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Originally Posted by lny98 View Post
If those are the worst things you can come up with, than Apple is doing a great job. As far as the syncing issues, syncing is HARD, and nobody (including Palm & Blackberry) gets it perfect.
So does that mean the iWonderwhythisneverends device sucks less? Generally I go for what sucks less (linux) but the two toys don't do the same thing. I know one thing, this thread sucks more....

So I says to him I says Ira, you can't grow gefilte fish in your back yad.

Long-time 770 owner here, and I'm getting the iPhone 3G. While there's a tremendous amount of potential in the n810, the iPhone has realized most of the goals that I'd want from it:

- Cisco VPN software (available on both)
- PIM with active sync to Exchange
- Stable, speedy Web browser
- A thumbboard that works
- Optional applications that serve MY needs.

The n810 has more *features,* and I would never attempt to deny that, and it's certainly a million times more convenient to grab any old app and just drop it into the tablet, a lot of the time, those applications simply don't exist, and I'm not enough of a coder to address that on my own.

Since I have no choice but to rely on the critical mass of the marketplace to scratch my itches, my money's on the iPhone, which will have a larger userbase, and an easier way for the developers to make money off of their work.

Of course, if I really needed a handheld ARM-based *computer,* make mine n810. Since my hobbyist programming days are long since past, it's just not the right device for me anymore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raptor For This Useful Post:
These threads suck. It's all going to be subjective. You have people claiming that linux doesn't suck....(I personally think it's great depending on what you need) but for me who needs to produce music and edit documentaries, linux doesn't cut it.

Same type of argument goes for iphone vs. tablet (which really shouldn't be compared as competing devices). Tablet's nice if I am a software developer that's proficient enough to write his/her own apps. Not so nice if I have to wait for developers to come up with the software I need (or want) for it...

Iphone with the app store and support provided by Apple meets the general user's needs. I can count on a healthy amount of software coming in and support if anything goes wrong. I can't expand the storage capabilities; if the battery goes out after warranty, I have to send my phone in to be repaired, etc etc

There is no right answer in this thread. It all depends on what you value: freedom to do whatever you want or restriction provided with lots of goodies (app store, applecare support, etc)

I personally own both devices and use both everyday.

Can we shut this thread down or at least get to a common ground? ( I know that's not possible...)

The Following User Says Thank You to stjuste For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by stjuste View Post
Tablet's nice if I am a software developer that's proficient enough to write his/her own apps. Not so nice if I have to wait for developers to come up with the software I need (or want) for it...
That's really not the difference between the devices. There is the small matter(s) of bluetooth functionality, option to use a stylus, Flash support, external speakers, FM radio, multitasking capability, IM, VOIP... oh and a not so small matter of a 2-year contract w/ AT&T Wireless.

To say the tablets are "not so nice" if you "have to wait for developers to come up with the software I need" - uh, what are you writing software for the iPhone but you can't write it for the tablet? So really there's no difference between them on that issue - for you (and me) - we both have to wait for others to code programs to fit our needs.

Frankly these idiotic IPhone vs Nokia threads are indeed fairly stupid... partly because they are really two distinctly different devices that will each fit the needs of different people... good for them and hooray for the choice to buy whichever one you want. But ultimately these "discussions" turn out to be nothing more than people who are unhappy that an IT isn't an Iphone want to whine and moan about it - and that's what makes them tedious and stupid.

Like going to a baseball game and complaining that they don't kick enough field goals.

Nokia NEVER misrepresented what these devices are for. And despite the grumblings of some here, they do WHAT THEY ARE ADVERTISED TO DO pretty darn well, and at a pretty fair price. The range of software available is reasonable considering you don't have to pay for any of it, and there are people creating new stuff all the time. What's not to like? Oh, I see... well then buy an iPhone already, who cares?

The iPhones are fine devices. I am sure that they will provide years of functionality and fun for their users. That doesn't mean they are for everyone... oh and I sure am glad I didn't buy one of the 1G $500 iPhones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wes Doobner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Long-time 770 owner here, and I'm getting the iPhone 3G. While there's a tremendous amount of potential in the n810, the iPhone has realized most of the goals that I'd want from it:

- Cisco VPN software (available on both)
- PIM with active sync to Exchange
- Stable, speedy Web browser
- A thumbboard that works
- Optional applications that serve MY needs.
... since when does the iPhone have a thumbboard at all? Much less one that works?

That's one of the reasons I haven't bought an iPhone/iPod-Touch.

I agree with the good points on VPN and PIM. I'd like to see those on maemo, too. But... the thumbboard and optional software (ssh and vnc), as far as I'm concerned, are bullet items AGAINST the Apple products.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
That's really not the difference between the devices. There is the small matter(s) of bluetooth functionality, option to use a stylus, Flash support, external speakers, FM radio, multitasking capability, IM, VOIP... oh and a not so small matter of a 2-year contract w/ AT&T Wireless.

For me, there's 4 differences:

1) With the iPhone, I would have a single device with persistent wireless data. With the N810, I don't. I have to, at best, have 2 devices, one for voice/txt and PIM data, and then tether my N810 to it for all other data. IMO: the current situation is an EPIC FAIL for the NIT.

2) With the iPhone, I would have the basic productivity and connectivity apps I want/need bundled with the device (PIM, VPN, syncing, etc.). With the N810, I don't.

3) With the N810, I have a usable keyboard that doesn't obscure/steal screen real estate in order to use it. The iPhone doesn't. The iPhone goes one step further in its failing here in that it doesn't even let you use an external keyboard via bluetooth nor USB.

4) With the N810, I have a healthy application ecosystem right now (ssh client, vnc client, Pidgin, etc.). With the iPhone, that may come soon, but it's not there now.

The N810 could fix its problems by making another "WWAN edition" device that parallels the WiMAX edition. "N810 Mobile Edition" or something, with GRPS, EDGE, UMTS, HSPA support for SMS/MMS and Data. Voice would be cool, but it's not necessary.

Ultimately, I will probably leave the NIT platform over #1 and/or #2. Not because I think the NIT platform sucks, but because soon someone else will most likely offer something that gives me what the NIT gives me now, plus those two things ... and do so before the NIT solves those issues. It might be android. It might be openmoko. It might be one of the Ubuntu based MIDs. (though, I'm pretty sure it WONT be the iPhone, because I don't expect they will EVER fix #3)

Hell, it might be the E66 or E71 (depends on whether or not I can get the S60 ssh client to work nicely with the S60 vnc client I recently came across; whether or not I like the smaller screen for the E71, and/or whether or not I can find a thumb sized bluetooth keyboard that I like enough to use with the E66 ... and if the E66 can be used in landscape orientation). It would be BETTER if I could run a fully supported maemo (or some other form of unix/linux) on them (and/or an T-Mobile-USA 3G version of the E90), but they might be "good enough" on their own.

Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post

To say the tablets are "not so nice" if you "have to wait for developers to come up with the software I need" - uh, what are you writing software for the iPhone but you can't write it for the tablet? So really there's no difference between them on that issue - for you (and me) - we both have to wait for others to code programs to fit our needs.

Frankly these idiotic IPhone vs Nokia threads are indeed fairly stupid... partly because they are really two distinctly different devices that will each fit the needs of different people... good for them and hooray for the choice to buy whichever one you want. But ultimately these "discussions" turn out to be nothing more than people who are unhappy that an IT isn't an Iphone want to whine and moan about it - and that's what makes them tedious and stupid.

Like going to a baseball game and complaining that they don't kick enough field goals.

Nokia NEVER misrepresented what these devices are for. And despite the grumblings of some here, they do WHAT THEY ARE ADVERTISED TO DO pretty darn well, and at a pretty fair price. The range of software available is reasonable considering you don't have to pay for any of it, and there are people creating new stuff all the time. What's not to like? Oh, I see... well then buy an iPhone already, who cares?

The iPhones are fine devices. I am sure that they will provide years of functionality and fun for their users. That doesn't mean they are for everyone... oh and I sure am glad I didn't buy one of the 1G $500 iPhones.
Not disagreeing with you at all. My examples were just to illustrate what someone like my sister would consider. I agree that they are two different devices and shouldn't be compared. These threads are useless. Both devices do what they were advertised to do. But the iphone does have way more backing behind it than the tablets. Denying that is futile.

Just showing the two different schools of thought that are competing here. The "not so nice" example is just to stress how we still don't have a PIM solution. I'd bet money that if not by launch of iphone 2.0 software that within a month there will be PIM applications available. How long have we been waiting for that in the tablets?

Open source model is idealistic and great on paper but things get done faster when developers have some incentive. You can't deny that. Otherwise, the tablets would be loaded with software...

Paid 200 for my iphone...

The wait for development of software on iphone 2.0 software will surely be shorter than the wait on NIT software...(no offense)

These devices aren't comparable but we can compare the companies' support for each of the items. I think that Apple puts alot more behind the iphone than Nokia does behind the tablets. I mean the tablets development community is US!! I wish they'd get more 3rd party developers involved but there is no incentive for them.

These threads are useless...

Last edited by stjuste; 2008-06-12 at 04:56. Reason: forgot some stuff...